Re: Xmodmap

  • d99ma
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2002
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Peter Møller Neergaard
      <turtle@a...> wrote:
      > On September 4, 2002, d99ma wrote:
      >
      > D>> Hi I wanted to remap some of the keys on my keyboard. I
      added some
      > D>> lines to the ~/.Xmodmap and ran it, worked fine. But I
      hoped that
      > D>> this file would be used automaticly (magic). It didn't.
      >
      > Understanding X startup is a mess (at least it has taken me a
      long
      > while kind of getting a feel for it) and the specifics are
      > distribution dependent.
      >
      > If you browse to the man pages for startx and xinit, the
      following is
      > roughly what happens when you start a X session: startx is used
      to run
      > xinit with a configuration file which is either user specific
      > ~/.xinitrc or site specific /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.
      >
      > In my case using Mandrake, /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, contains the
      single
      > line
      >
      > exec /etc/X11/Xsession $*
      >
      > where /etc/X11/Xsession is a shell script which among other
      things
      > loads a ~/.Xmodmap (actually it is done in a script fixkeyboard
      which
      > is called as part of the Xsession).
      >
      > Confused? So am I.
      >
      > Anyways, try to look at the files /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc or file
      > Xsession. From that you should be able to figure out what your
      > distribution does and how to change it (try-and-error might
      come in
      > handy).
      >
      > /Peter
      > --
      > http://www.linearity.org/turtle/contact.html
      > ``When you have had all the experiences, met all the famous
      people,
      > made some money, toured the world and got all the acclaim you
      still
      > think--is that it? Some might be satisfied--but I wasn't'' --
      G. Harrison

      Ok, I checked the /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc and it contains among
      others the following:
      -----------------------------------
      usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
      sysmodmap=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Xmodmap

      if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
      xmodmap $sysmodmap
      fi

      if [ -f $usermodmap ]; then
      xmodmap $usermodmap
      fi
      -----------------------------------
      Why would this not get called?
      Would errors go to /var/log/XFree86.x.log ?

      /Martin (using SuSE 8.0)
    • Peter Møller Neergaard
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2002
        On September 4, 2002, Martin wrote:

        M> Ok, I checked the /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc and it contains among
        M> others the following:
        M> -----------------------------------
        M> usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
        M> sysmodmap=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Xmodmap

        M> if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
        M> xmodmap $sysmodmap
        M> fi

        M> if [ -f $usermodmap ]; then
        M> xmodmap $usermodmap
        M> fi
        M> -----------------------------------
        M> Why would this not get called?

        That seems very similar to mine, and I agree that I would expect it to
        be called.

        M> Would errors go to /var/log/XFree86.x.log ?

        I think so, but this might not produce an error message.

        What I have done with success is the following:
        1) change to console mode (text mode)
        2) turn on debugging output from the shell script (-x) in the top.
        3) start the X server with

        startx |& tee startx.log

        (|& is tcsh syntax for piping both stderr and stdout).

        4) After the server is started you can check the output in startx.log

        Best

        Peter