Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: dvd playback on i8200 w/ nvidia card

  • Mike Hicks
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 3, 2002
      On Tue, 2002-09-03 at 11:03, intrader wrote:
      > Sorry that you are having this problem. I definitelly did not expect all
      > these problem with the programs distributed for Linux. It is attrocious
      > that you would have to hunt around for DVD stuff.
      > This should work without a hitch.

      Well, considering that people are being sued for millions and thrown in
      jail for writing DVD decoding software, I think it's pretty easy to get
      going.

      Just one of many stories:
      http://www.2600.com/news/display.shtml?id=1289

      --
      _ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ ___ _ _ __ Dinner not ready: (A)bort
      / \/ \(_)| ' // ._\ / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__ (R)etry (P)izza
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 3, 2002
        How sowa M$ do it. XP installs and plays without a hitch. The whole thing including all control buttons, everything.
        What is needed? I think we need some group to take the desktop Linux and get it playing as well.

        9/3/2002 4:43:08 PM, Mike Hicks <hick0088@...> wrote:

        >On Tue, 2002-09-03 at 11:03, intrader wrote:
        >> Sorry that you are having this problem. I definitelly did not expect all
        >> these problem with the programs distributed for Linux. It is attrocious
        >> that you would have to hunt around for DVD stuff.
        >> This should work without a hitch.
        >
        >Well, considering that people are being sued for millions and thrown in
        >jail for writing DVD decoding software, I think it's pretty easy to get
        >going.
        >
        >Just one of many stories:
        >http://www.2600.com/news/display.shtml?id=1289
        >
        >--
        > _ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ ___ _ _ __ Dinner not ready: (A)bort
        >/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\ / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__ (R)etry (P)izza
        >\_||_/|_||_|_\\___/ \_-_/|_|\__\|_|_\ __)
        >[ Mike Hicks | http://umn.edu/~hick0088/ | mailto:hick0088@... ]

      • Rodney Gordon II
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 3, 2002
          Hmm.

          Make sure that you have hdparm'ed the drive up.. run it again and check
          to make sure everything changed...

          Do a 'hdparm -i /dev/hdb' and paste your results here, should look
          similar to this:

          meff@falcon:~$ sudo hdparm -i /dev/hdb

          /dev/hdb:

          Model=Samsung CD-RW/DVD-ROM SN-308B, FwRev=E005, SerialNo=
          Config={ Fixed Removeable DTR<=5Mbs DTR>10Mbs nonMagnetic }
          RawCHS=0/0/0, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=0
          BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=0kB, MaxMultSect=0
          (maybe): CurCHS=0/0/0, CurSects=0, LBA=yes, LBAsects=0
          IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
          PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
          DMA modes: sdma0 sdma1 sdma2 mdma0 mdma1 *mdma2
          AdvancedPM=no
          Drive conforms to: ATA-3 X3T13 2008D revision 7 and 7a: 2 3

          If it works fine in windows, its for sure a issue with interfacing it in
          linux.

          Make sure you've tried mplayer as 'mplayer -dvd 1 -vo sdl'

          GL.

          -r

          --
          Rodney "meff" Gordon II - meff@...

          -->
          "For the man who has everything... Penicillin."
          -- F. Borquin