Re: [linux-dell-laptops] HOWTO: Debian 3.0 on Dell Inspiron 8200

  • intrader
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2002
      Two questions please. what are the i8k-utils, where do you get them, and
      how do you install them.
      Secondly, about "added the line", is several lines, and where are you
      adding them?
      I thank you in advance for your help.

      On Tue, 2002-09-03 at 14:15, mchristoph.eckert@... wrote: Am
      Dienstag, 3. September 2002 01:39 schrieb Chris Nitkin:

      Wonderful site.
      For tips with the audio-keys, ask me.

      I installed the i8k-utils, and added the line

      modprobe i8k
      i8kbuttons -m "amixer -q sset Master,0 toggle" -u "amixer -q
      sset Master,0 5%+ unmute" -d "amixer -q sset Master,0 5%-
      unmute" &

      but I think this will not work with your OSS-drivers?

      Gruß

      ce

      ======
      Installation von SuSE 8.0 auf einem Dell Inspiron 8200
      http://home.t-online.de/home/mchristoph.eckert/inspiron8200/
      ======

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2002
        Am Dienstag, 3. September 2002 18:11 schrieb intrader:

        > Two questions please. what are the i8k-utils,

        Tools to control various hardware of this notebook: Fan-Speed,
        the volume-buttons etc.

        > where do you
        > get them,

        I don't know where I got this tool, ask google for 'i8k-utils
        download'. Or become a member of this group; AFAIK the
        i8k-utils are in the files section.

        > and how do you install them.

        Compile and install them. I think with ./configure, make and
        make install as root.

        > Secondly, about "added the line",
        > is several lines,

        That's the mailer which breaks the lines.

        <Start line>modprobe i8k<end line>

        <Start line>i8kbuttons -m "amixer -q sset Master,0 toggle" -u
        "amixer -q sset Master,0 5%+ unmute" -d "amixer -q sset
        Master,0 5%- unmute" & <end line>

        > and
        > where are you adding them?

        On SuSE 8.0, I used /etc/init.d/boot.local. If this file does
        not exist, you should create. Not sure, if all distribution
        read this file on boot-time.

        > I thank you in advance for your help.

        In advance you now have to use the info ;-))) .

        ce
      • Paul Waserbrot
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2002
          : Two questions please. what are the i8k-utils, where do you get them, and
          : how do you install them.

          Uhm, since we are talking about Debian, just do
          apt-get install i8kutils
          or launch dselect and find i8kutils, mark it with a + and then let
          dselect install it for you.

          Cheers,

          // Paul