Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: dvd playback on i8200 w/ nvidia card

  • intrader
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 3, 2002
      Sorry that you are having this problem. I definitelly did not expect all
      these problem with the programs distributed for Linux. It is attrocious
      that you would have to hunt around for DVD stuff.
      This should work without a hitch.

      Thanks for listening

      On Mon, 2002-09-02 at 20:05, questforme wrote: Anybody got this fixed?
      I've tried Xine, Ogle, and Mplayer. The best
      of these is Xine, video plays fine but intermittent audio drop outs
      that are almost unnoticable but appear on the Xine log. I'm using a
      I8200 with the 24X CDRW/8X DVD on Gentoo 1.4(gcc 3.2) and KDE 3.03.
      I've tried all sorts of tricks like scsi emulation, hdparm(yes, DMA is
      activated), and many other little ones that I've lost track of.

      Kent

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Domsalla, Thorsten"
      <thorsten.domsalla@s...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > > I have an I8000 with a Geforce 2Go card, and found DVD's to be
      > > unwatchable with videolan, mplayer and ogle. The mplayer docs
      >
      > Did you try option -ao sdl? It might help.
      >
      > TJ

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Mike Hicks
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 3, 2002
        On Tue, 2002-09-03 at 11:03, intrader wrote:
        > Sorry that you are having this problem. I definitelly did not expect all
        > these problem with the programs distributed for Linux. It is attrocious
        > that you would have to hunt around for DVD stuff.
        > This should work without a hitch.

        Well, considering that people are being sued for millions and thrown in
        jail for writing DVD decoding software, I think it's pretty easy to get
        going.

        Just one of many stories:
        http://www.2600.com/news/display.shtml?id=1289

        --
        _ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ ___ _ _ __ Dinner not ready: (A)bort
        / \/ \(_)| ' // ._\ / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__ (R)etry (P)izza
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 3, 2002
          How sowa M$ do it. XP installs and plays without a hitch. The whole thing including all control buttons, everything.
          What is needed? I think we need some group to take the desktop Linux and get it playing as well.

          9/3/2002 4:43:08 PM, Mike Hicks <hick0088@...> wrote:

          >On Tue, 2002-09-03 at 11:03, intrader wrote:
          >> Sorry that you are having this problem. I definitelly did not expect all
          >> these problem with the programs distributed for Linux. It is attrocious
          >> that you would have to hunt around for DVD stuff.
          >> This should work without a hitch.
          >
          >Well, considering that people are being sued for millions and thrown in
          >jail for writing DVD decoding software, I think it's pretty easy to get
          >going.
          >
          >Just one of many stories:
          >http://www.2600.com/news/display.shtml?id=1289
          >
          >--
          > _ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ ___ _ _ __ Dinner not ready: (A)bort
          >/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\ / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__ (R)etry (P)izza
          >\_||_/|_||_|_\\___/ \_-_/|_|\__\|_|_\ __)
          >[ Mike Hicks | http://umn.edu/~hick0088/ | mailto:hick0088@... ]

        • Rodney Gordon II
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 3, 2002
            Hmm.

            Make sure that you have hdparm'ed the drive up.. run it again and check
            to make sure everything changed...

            Do a 'hdparm -i /dev/hdb' and paste your results here, should look
            similar to this:

            meff@falcon:~$ sudo hdparm -i /dev/hdb

            /dev/hdb:

            Model=Samsung CD-RW/DVD-ROM SN-308B, FwRev=E005, SerialNo=
            Config={ Fixed Removeable DTR<=5Mbs DTR>10Mbs nonMagnetic }
            RawCHS=0/0/0, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=0
            BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=0kB, MaxMultSect=0
            (maybe): CurCHS=0/0/0, CurSects=0, LBA=yes, LBAsects=0
            IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
            PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
            DMA modes: sdma0 sdma1 sdma2 mdma0 mdma1 *mdma2
            AdvancedPM=no
            Drive conforms to: ATA-3 X3T13 2008D revision 7 and 7a: 2 3

            If it works fine in windows, its for sure a issue with interfacing it in
            linux.

            Make sure you've tried mplayer as 'mplayer -dvd 1 -vo sdl'

            GL.

            -r

            --
            Rodney "meff" Gordon II - meff@...

            -->
            "For the man who has everything... Penicillin."
            -- F. Borquin