HOWTO: Debian 3.0 on Dell Inspiron 8200

  • Chris Nitkin
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2002
      Hi
      I just finished writing my Debian 3.0 on Dell Inspiron 8200 HOWTO, and thought
      I'd share it with the rest of you! It's at
      http://rain.prohosting.com/qmatrix1/DebianDell8200/ Please send me any
      questions, comments, feedback, etc... regarding this!

      Thanks, and enjoy!
      Chris Nitkin

      http://finance.yahoo.com
    • intrader
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2002
        Two questions please. what are the i8k-utils, where do you get them, and
        how do you install them.
        Secondly, about "added the line", is several lines, and where are you
        adding them?
        I thank you in advance for your help.

        On Tue, 2002-09-03 at 14:15, mchristoph.eckert@... wrote: Am
        Dienstag, 3. September 2002 01:39 schrieb Chris Nitkin:

        Wonderful site.
        For tips with the audio-keys, ask me.

        I installed the i8k-utils, and added the line

        modprobe i8k
        i8kbuttons -m "amixer -q sset Master,0 toggle" -u "amixer -q
        sset Master,0 5%+ unmute" -d "amixer -q sset Master,0 5%-
        unmute" &

        but I think this will not work with your OSS-drivers?

        Gruß

        ce

        ======
        Installation von SuSE 8.0 auf einem Dell Inspiron 8200
        http://home.t-online.de/home/mchristoph.eckert/inspiron8200/
        ======

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3, 2002

        • mchristoph.eckert@t-online.de
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3, 2002
            Am Dienstag, 3. September 2002 18:11 schrieb intrader:

            > Two questions please. what are the i8k-utils,

            Tools to control various hardware of this notebook: Fan-Speed,
            the volume-buttons etc.

            > where do you
            > get them,

            I don't know where I got this tool, ask google for 'i8k-utils
            download'. Or become a member of this group; AFAIK the
            i8k-utils are in the files section.

            > and how do you install them.

            Compile and install them. I think with ./configure, make and
            make install as root.

            > Secondly, about "added the line",
            > is several lines,

            That's the mailer which breaks the lines.

            <Start line>modprobe i8k<end line>

            <Start line>i8kbuttons -m "amixer -q sset Master,0 toggle" -u
            "amixer -q sset Master,0 5%+ unmute" -d "amixer -q sset
            Master,0 5%- unmute" & <end line>

            > and
            > where are you adding them?

            On SuSE 8.0, I used /etc/init.d/boot.local. If this file does
            not exist, you should create. Not sure, if all distribution
            read this file on boot-time.

            > I thank you in advance for your help.

            In advance you now have to use the info ;-))) .

            ce
          • Paul Waserbrot
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 4, 2002
              : Two questions please. what are the i8k-utils, where do you get them, and
              : how do you install them.

              Uhm, since we are talking about Debian, just do
              apt-get install i8kutils
              or launch dselect and find i8kutils, mark it with a + and then let
              dselect install it for you.

              Cheers,

              // Paul