Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: dvd playback on i8200 w/ nvidia card

  • Rodney Gordon II
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 3, 2002
      All of the players you have listed work fine in linux on my system.
      Please refer to http://www.pobox.com/~meff/i8200/ for information on
      setting up DMA on your CDRW/DVD drive and mknod, etc.. information for
      doing such using devfs. Your XF86Config-4 should look similar to mine.

      -r

      --
      Rodney "meff" Gordon II - meff@...

      -->
      MATH AND ALCOHOL DON'T MIX!
      Please, don't drink and derive.

      Mathematicians
      Against
      Drunk
      Deriving
    • intrader
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 3, 2002
        Sorry that you are having this problem. I definitelly did not expect all
        these problem with the programs distributed for Linux. It is attrocious
        that you would have to hunt around for DVD stuff.
        This should work without a hitch.

        Thanks for listening

        On Mon, 2002-09-02 at 20:05, questforme wrote: Anybody got this fixed?

        <thorsten.domsalla@s...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > > I have an I8000 with a Geforce 2Go card, and found DVD's to be
        > > unwatchable with videolan, mplayer and ogle. The mplayer docs
        >
        > Did you try option -ao sdl? It might help.
        >
        > TJ

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • questforme
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 3, 2002
          Ironically I did use your guide for my Laptop. I noticed that your
          combo drive is a Samsung and I have the Hitachi/LG variant and I also
          notice you have the 40GB Hard Drive where as I have the 60GB version.
          I beginning to think it's a problem with the combo drive, not a
          defect, but just something that's different about it that's keeping it
          from playing correctly. I went to support.dell.com to investigate
          fruther and found a some other people in my situation(only in Windows,
          not Linux) with choppy video.

          Kent

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Rodney Gordon II <meff@p...> wrote:
          > All of the players you have listed work fine in linux on my system.
          > Please refer to http://www.pobox.com/~meff/i8200/ for information on
          > setting up DMA on your CDRW/DVD drive and mknod, etc.. information for
          > doing such using devfs. Your XF86Config-4 should look similar to mine.
          >
          > -r
          >
          > questforme (questforme@y...) wrote:
          > > Anybody got this fixed? I've tried Xine, Ogle, and Mplayer. The best
          > > of these is Xine, video plays fine but intermittent audio drop outs
          > > that are almost unnoticable but appear on the Xine log. I'm using a
          > > I8200 with the 24X CDRW/8X DVD on Gentoo 1.4(gcc 3.2) and KDE 3.03.
          > > I've tried all sorts of tricks like scsi emulation, hdparm(yes, DMA is
          > > activated), and many other little ones that I've lost track of.
          > >
          > > Kent
          > >

          > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Domsalla, Thorsten"
          > > <thorsten.domsalla@s...> wrote:
          > > > Hello,

          > > > Did you try option -ao sdl? It might help.
          > > >
          > > > TJ
          > >

          > --
          > Rodney "meff" Gordon II - meff@p...
          >
          > -->
          > MATH AND ALCOHOL DON'T MIX!
          > Please, don't drink and derive.
          >
          > Mathematicians
          > Against
          > Drunk
          > Deriving
        • Mike Hicks
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 3, 2002
            On Tue, 2002-09-03 at 11:03, intrader wrote:
            > Sorry that you are having this problem. I definitelly did not expect all
            > these problem with the programs distributed for Linux. It is attrocious
            > that you would have to hunt around for DVD stuff.
            > This should work without a hitch.

            Well, considering that people are being sued for millions and thrown in
            jail for writing DVD decoding software, I think it's pretty easy to get
            going.

            Just one of many stories:
            http://www.2600.com/news/display.shtml?id=1289

            --
            _ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ ___ _ _ __ Dinner not ready: (A)bort
            / \/ \(_)| ' // ._\ / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__ (R)etry (P)izza
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 3, 2002
              How sowa M$ do it. XP installs and plays without a hitch. The whole thing including all control buttons, everything.
              What is needed? I think we need some group to take the desktop Linux and get it playing as well.

              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 3, 2002
                Hmm.

                Make sure that you have hdparm'ed the drive up.. run it again and check
                to make sure everything changed...

                Do a 'hdparm -i /dev/hdb' and paste your results here, should look
                similar to this:

                meff@falcon:~$ sudo hdparm -i /dev/hdb

                /dev/hdb:

                Model=Samsung CD-RW/DVD-ROM SN-308B, FwRev=E005, SerialNo=
                Config={ Fixed Removeable DTR<=5Mbs DTR>10Mbs nonMagnetic }
                RawCHS=0/0/0, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=0
                BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=0kB, MaxMultSect=0
                (maybe): CurCHS=0/0/0, CurSects=0, LBA=yes, LBAsects=0
                IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
                PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
                DMA modes: sdma0 sdma1 sdma2 mdma0 mdma1 *mdma2
                AdvancedPM=no
                Drive conforms to: ATA-3 X3T13 2008D revision 7 and 7a: 2 3

                If it works fine in windows, its for sure a issue with interfacing it in
                linux.

                Make sure you've tried mplayer as 'mplayer -dvd 1 -vo sdl'

                GL.

                --
                Rodney "meff" Gordon II - meff@...

                -->
                "For the man who has everything... Penicillin."
                -- F. Borquin