Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Successful software suspend (S2D) with NVIDIA (Was: Suspend to disk working

  • Norbert Preining
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 3, 2002
      On Die, 03 Sep 2002, lesifuhl wrote:
      > s2r the mouse (Synaptics_drv.o) isn't working any more. My remedy is
      > to start a second X session from the console (startx -- :1), which

      Switch to console and back to X should help, too.

      Best wishes

      Norbert

      Norbert Preining <preining AT logic DOT at> Technische Universität Wien
      SHEPPY (n.)

      Measure of distance (equal to approximately seven eighths of a mile),
      defined as the closest distance at which sheep remain picturesque.

      --- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff
    • noobodee
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 3, 2002
        This is not exactly about the mouse/synaptic drivers but
        lucky you people! I couldn't even get swsusp to work.
        I applied the swsusp patch to the vanilla 2.4.18 kernel,
        compiled fine with swsusp configured in the kernel.
        Reboot the new kernel ok and then I typed
        echo "1 0 0" > /proc/sys/kernel/swsusp
        or
        echo "1 0 2" > /proc/sys/kernel/swsusp
        or
        echo "1 0 0" > /proc/sys/kernel/swsusp
        but nothing happened. Using apm -s did a suspend to ram fine
        (which I could do with Fn-suspend anyway so what is the point).
        Then tried apm -S, the screen went blank but the back light
        was still on and the laptop did not power down. It became totally
        unresponsive to the keyboard (if xmms was playing music, I could
        still hear the music, tried it without xmms running as well
        but nothing happened). I need to do a suspend to ram and power up
        to restore from this weird apm -S behavior.
        Also tried in console mode with X window running and still nothing
        happened. I am not using any Nvideo driver so it is very puzzling.
        Anyone encountered this before?

        noobodee.

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Norbert Preining <preining@l...>

        ----

        ----
        > SHEPPY (n.)
        >
        > Measure of distance (equal to approximately seven eighths of a
        mile),
        > defined as the closest distance at which sheep remain picturesque.
        >
        > --- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff
      • Peter Møller Neergaard
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 4, 2002
          On September 3, 2002, noobodee wrote:

          N> This is not exactly about the mouse/synaptic drivers but lucky you
          N> people! I couldn't even get swsusp to work. I applied the swsusp
          N> patch to the vanilla 2.4.18 kernel, compiled fine with swsusp
          N> configured in the kernel. Reboot the new kernel ok and then I typed
          N> echo "1 0 0" > /proc/sys/kernel/swsusp or echo "1 0 2" >
          N> /proc/sys/kernel/swsusp or echo "1 0 0" > /proc/sys/kernel/swsusp
          N> ..... but nothing

          This might be a wild shot, but have you added the option

          resume=/dev/hdaX

          when booting your kernel (/dev/hdaX is your swap space). (I did the
          same mistake, and had to get help on the swsusp mailing list.)

          N> Using apm -s did a suspend to ram fine (which I could do with
          N> Fn-suspend anyway so what is the point).

          That is the standard behavior. By default, swsusp does not change the
          apm behavior.

          N> Then tried apm -S, the screen went blank but the back
          N> light was still on and the laptop did not power down.

          Again, this is the standard behavior. At least on my laptop.

          /Peter
          --
          http://www.linearity.org/turtle/contact.html
          ``When you have had all the experiences, met all the famous people,
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 5, 2002
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Peter Møller Neergaard <turtle@a...>
            wrote:
            > On September 3, 2002, noobodee wrote:
            >
            > N> This is not exactly about the mouse/synaptic drivers but lucky
            you
            > N> people! I couldn't even get swsusp to work. I applied the swsusp
            > N> patch to the vanilla 2.4.18 kernel, compiled fine with swsusp
            > N> configured in the kernel. Reboot the new kernel ok and then I
            typed
            > N> echo "1 0 0" > /proc/sys/kernel/swsusp or echo "1 0 2" >
            > N> /proc/sys/kernel/swsusp or echo "1 0 0" > /proc/sys/kernel/swsusp
            > N> ..... but nothing
            >
            > This might be a wild shot, but have you added the option
            >
            > resume=/dev/hdaX
            >
            > when booting your kernel (/dev/hdaX is your swap space). (I did the
            > same mistake, and had to get help on the swsusp mailing list.)
            >
            > N> Using apm -s did a suspend to ram fine (which I could do with
            > N> Fn-suspend anyway so what is the point).
            >
            > That is the standard behavior. By default, swsusp does not change
            the
            > apm behavior.
            >
            > N> Then tried apm -S, the screen went blank but the back
            > N> light was still on and the laptop did not power down.
            >
            > Again, this is the standard behavior. At least on my laptop.
            >
            > /Peter
            > --

            Thanks Peter!

            I did put in a resume=/dev/hdaX but in the wrong place.
            I was confused with the Swsusp-faq which led me to think that the
            resume=/dev/hdaX was needed only on resume. Ok so you have
            to put that in even when you are not resuming but simply booting
            with the swsusp-configured kernel. The resume option is there to
            preserve the possibility of a suspension to disk during the
            session. Oh well!

            It now suspends fine but the screen is totally screwed up on
            resumption if X window was running. In console mode it works fine
            except the sound becomes weird. But if you have to always exit
            from X window, it wouldn't be too useful. One might as well just
            shut the machine down. Ok you can keep some program running
            in the background and continue on resumption but interactive
            session like in the middle of an editing in X window or drawing
            graphs is a no no.

            Or may be DRI isn't allowed with swsusp and has to be turned off?

            noobodee.
          • Peter Møller Neergaard
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 5, 2002
              On September 5, 2002, noobodee wrote:

              N> It now suspends fine but the screen is totally screwed up on
              N> resumption if X window was running.

              What screen card do you have?

              I have the nvidia GeForce2Go, but uses the nv driver rather than
              nvidia's driver and that is working fine (as far as suspension; I lost
              the possibility of using an external monitor :-( ).

              As far as I can tell I have DRI turned on, but I have seen people on
              the swsusp list complaining about problems with DRI so if everything
              else fails, it might be worth a shot turning it off.

              N> In console mode it works fine except the sound becomes weird. But
              N> if you have to always exit from X window, it wouldn't be too
              N> useful.

              You might consider running a vnc server and then start the X server
              running only the vncviewer. Unless you are doing 3D stuff (so you
              need the glx) that appears to be as fast as running the server
              directly. That way you can keep you Xsession, but stuff the X server.

              Best

              Peter
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 6, 2002
                wrote:
                > On September 5, 2002, noobodee wrote:
                >
                > N> It now suspends fine but the screen is totally screwed up on
                > N> resumption if X window was running.
                >
                > What screen card do you have?

                Mine is a I4150 which comes with the ATI Mobility Radeon 7500
                card, not Nvidia GeForce :-(. So I guess there is no quick fix.
                Probably try playing with DRI or something else to see if
                anything works.

                > I have the nvidia GeForce2Go, but uses the nv driver rather than
                > nvidia's driver and that is working fine (as far as suspension; I
                lost
                > the possibility of using an external monitor :-( ).
                >
                > As far as I can tell I have DRI turned on, but I have seen people on
                > the swsusp list complaining about problems with DRI so if everything
                > else fails, it might be worth a shot turning it off.
                >
                > N> In console mode it works fine except the sound becomes weird. But
                > N> if you have to always exit from X window, it wouldn't be too
                > N> useful.
                >
                > You might consider running a vnc server and then start the X server
                > running only the vncviewer. Unless you are doing 3D stuff (so you
                > need the glx) that appears to be as fast as running the server
                > directly. That way you can keep you Xsession, but stuff the X
                server.

                > Best
                >
                > Peter
                > --
                > http://www.linearity.org/turtle/contact.html
                > ``When you have had all the experiences, met all the famous people,
                > made some money, toured the world and got all the acclaim you still
                > think--is that it? Some might be satisfied--but I wasn't'' -- G.
                Harrison
              • Andrew
                Message 7 of 30 , Nov 7, 2002
                  On Thursday 05 September 2002 04:16 pm, Peter Møller Neergaard wrote:
                  > On September 5, 2002, noobodee wrote:
                  >
                  > N> It now suspends fine but the screen is totally screwed up on
                  > N> resumption if X window was running.
                  >
                  > What screen card do you have?
                  >
                  > I have the nvidia GeForce2Go, but uses the nv driver rather than
                  > nvidia's driver and that is working fine (as far as suspension; I lost
                  > the possibility of using an external monitor :-( ).
                  >
                  > As far as I can tell I have DRI turned on, but I have seen people on
                  > the swsusp list complaining about problems with DRI so if everything
                  > else fails, it might be worth a shot turning it off.
                  >
                  > N> In console mode it works fine except the sound becomes weird. But
                  > N> if you have to always exit from X window, it wouldn't be too
                  > N> useful.
                  >
                  > You might consider running a vnc server and then start the X server
                  > running only the vncviewer. Unless you are doing 3D stuff (so you
                  > need the glx) that appears to be as fast as running the server
                  > directly. That way you can keep you Xsession, but stuff the X server.
                  >
                  > Best
                  >
                  > Peter

                  I just started following this thread... I am going to try this on my laptop
                  tonight (oops... it's turned into this morning LOL) but anyway. I'm going
                  to try to make a working RPM set for those using RH 7.3
                  right now it's compiling... I'll let you know how it goes when it's done...
                  btw, what did you use for modelines and such?
                  --Andrew

                  --

                  PGP fingerprint: A00A 1E75 3AB0 610E 2300 6855 1890 C61E E590 F777
                  Link to PGP key: http://linuxboy.dyndns.org/files/pubpgpkey.txt
                  Message 8 of 30 , Nov 8, 2002
                    On Friday 08 November 2002 02:00 am, Andrew wrote:
                    > I'll let you know how it goes when it's done...
                    > btw, what did you use for modelines and such?

                    guess what :) didn't work LOL. Sooooo... gonna try to make an RPM from the
                    CVS version... maybe it'll work... not gonna give it much hope tho :(
                    Andrew~