Re: dvd playback on i8200 w/ nvidia card

  • questforme
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 2, 2002
      Anybody got this fixed? I've tried Xine, Ogle, and Mplayer. The best
      of these is Xine, video plays fine but intermittent audio drop outs
      that are almost unnoticable but appear on the Xine log. I'm using a
      I8200 with the 24X CDRW/8X DVD on Gentoo 1.4(gcc 3.2) and KDE 3.03.
      I've tried all sorts of tricks like scsi emulation, hdparm(yes, DMA is
      activated), and many other little ones that I've lost track of.

      Kent

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Domsalla, Thorsten"
      <thorsten.domsalla@s...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > > I have an I8000 with a Geforce 2Go card, and found DVD's to be
      > > unwatchable with videolan, mplayer and ogle. The mplayer docs
      >
      > Did you try option -ao sdl? It might help.
      >
      > TJ
    • Rodney Gordon II
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 3, 2002
        All of the players you have listed work fine in linux on my system.
        Please refer to http://www.pobox.com/~meff/i8200/ for information on
        setting up DMA on your CDRW/DVD drive and mknod, etc.. information for
        doing such using devfs. Your XF86Config-4 should look similar to mine.

        -r

        --
        Rodney "meff" Gordon II - meff@...

        -->
        MATH AND ALCOHOL DON'T MIX!
        Please, don't drink and derive.

        Mathematicians
        Against
        Drunk
        Deriving
      • intrader
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 3, 2002
          Sorry that you are having this problem. I definitelly did not expect all
          these problem with the programs distributed for Linux. It is attrocious
          that you would have to hunt around for DVD stuff.
          This should work without a hitch.

          Thanks for listening

          On Mon, 2002-09-02 at 20:05, questforme wrote: Anybody got this fixed?

          <thorsten.domsalla@s...> wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > > I have an I8000 with a Geforce 2Go card, and found DVD's to be
          > > unwatchable with videolan, mplayer and ogle. The mplayer docs
          >
          > Did you try option -ao sdl? It might help.
          >
          > TJ

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • questforme
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 3, 2002
            Ironically I did use your guide for my Laptop. I noticed that your
            combo drive is a Samsung and I have the Hitachi/LG variant and I also
            notice you have the 40GB Hard Drive where as I have the 60GB version.
            I beginning to think it's a problem with the combo drive, not a
            defect, but just something that's different about it that's keeping it
            from playing correctly. I went to support.dell.com to investigate
            fruther and found a some other people in my situation(only in Windows,
            not Linux) with choppy video.

            Kent

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Rodney Gordon II <meff@p...> wrote:
            > All of the players you have listed work fine in linux on my system.
            > Please refer to http://www.pobox.com/~meff/i8200/ for information on
            > setting up DMA on your CDRW/DVD drive and mknod, etc.. information for
            > doing such using devfs. Your XF86Config-4 should look similar to mine.
            >
            > -r
            >
            > questforme (questforme@y...) wrote:
            > > Anybody got this fixed? I've tried Xine, Ogle, and Mplayer. The best
            > > of these is Xine, video plays fine but intermittent audio drop outs
            > > that are almost unnoticable but appear on the Xine log. I'm using a
            > > I8200 with the 24X CDRW/8X DVD on Gentoo 1.4(gcc 3.2) and KDE 3.03.
            > > I've tried all sorts of tricks like scsi emulation, hdparm(yes, DMA is
            > > activated), and many other little ones that I've lost track of.
            > >
            > > Kent
            > >

            > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Domsalla, Thorsten"
            > > <thorsten.domsalla@s...> wrote:
            > > > Hello,

            > > > Did you try option -ao sdl? It might help.
            > > >
            > > > TJ
            > >

            > --
            > Rodney "meff" Gordon II - meff@p...
            >
            > -->
            > MATH AND ALCOHOL DON'T MIX!
            > Please, don't drink and derive.
            >
            > Mathematicians
            > Against
            > Drunk
            > Deriving
          • Mike Hicks
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 3, 2002
              On Tue, 2002-09-03 at 11:03, intrader wrote:
              > Sorry that you are having this problem. I definitelly did not expect all
              > these problem with the programs distributed for Linux. It is attrocious
              > that you would have to hunt around for DVD stuff.
              > This should work without a hitch.

              Well, considering that people are being sued for millions and thrown in
              jail for writing DVD decoding software, I think it's pretty easy to get
              going.

              Just one of many stories:
              http://www.2600.com/news/display.shtml?id=1289

              --
              _ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ ___ _ _ __ Dinner not ready: (A)bort
              / \/ \(_)| ' // ._\ / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__ (R)etry (P)izza
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 3, 2002
                How sowa M$ do it. XP installs and plays without a hitch. The whole thing including all control buttons, everything.
                What is needed? I think we need some group to take the desktop Linux and get it playing as well.

                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 3, 2002
                  Hmm.

                  Make sure that you have hdparm'ed the drive up.. run it again and check
                  to make sure everything changed...

                  Do a 'hdparm -i /dev/hdb' and paste your results here, should look
                  similar to this:

                  meff@falcon:~$ sudo hdparm -i /dev/hdb

                  /dev/hdb:

                  Model=Samsung CD-RW/DVD-ROM SN-308B, FwRev=E005, SerialNo=
                  Config={ Fixed Removeable DTR<=5Mbs DTR>10Mbs nonMagnetic }
                  RawCHS=0/0/0, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=0
                  BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=0kB, MaxMultSect=0
                  (maybe): CurCHS=0/0/0, CurSects=0, LBA=yes, LBAsects=0
                  IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
                  PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
                  DMA modes: sdma0 sdma1 sdma2 mdma0 mdma1 *mdma2
                  AdvancedPM=no
                  Drive conforms to: ATA-3 X3T13 2008D revision 7 and 7a: 2 3

                  If it works fine in windows, its for sure a issue with interfacing it in
                  linux.

                  Make sure you've tried mplayer as 'mplayer -dvd 1 -vo sdl'

                  GL.

                  --
                  Rodney "meff" Gordon II - meff@...

                  -->
                  "For the man who has everything... Penicillin."
                  -- F. Borquin