Mandrake 8.1 on Inspiron 2500

  • electronaurt
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
      Hey everyone, I've got some problems running MDK on my Dell.

      I'm fairly new to Linux, having been playing with it in the
      neighborhood of a year. I'll try to make this as short a post as
      possible, so if I leave out any information, feel free to ask. I'll
      only list the items I'm having problems with in this post. Some of
      my info may seem broken or incomplete, but please understand that I
      can't access the web from my laptop unless I'm in windoze, since
      Linux isn't using my PCMCIA network card or my Lucent sinmodem,
      meaning that to get information from it I'll have to constantly be
      rebooting. I will gladly get all the info I can, though, if it will
      help solve the issue.

      I've seen other people having similar problems, but their fixes don't
      work for me. Here are the details:

      Dell Inspiron 2500
      Chipset in system is the Intel 815, supporting the followin:
      15" display (Windows uses 1024x768 at 16.7 Million colors)
      (Linux only uses 65k colors - nothing else)
      (small issue, not really important)
      Sound card - MDK is using the 810 driver, gives crackly sound
      (I've read it's due to the 48000 kHz sampling rate of the card)
      This card uses the SigmaTel STAC'97 driver in Windoze
      PCMCIA - In Harddrake, the bus is listed as "? Bridge", and it
      shows both ports, listed as "O2 Micro, Inc. Cardbus Controller"
      and also as "OZ6933 - something". It sees the port, but doesn't
      seem to know what to do with it.
      USB - untested. Has anyone else had issues here I should know
      about?
      ActionTec MiniPCI Lucent Winmodem - Linux detects it just fine,
      but doesn't do crud with it. I even tried installing that
      ltwinmodem .RPM file, but it doesn't do crud from what I can
      see. I think it might be making it usable, maybe if I use the
      SETSERIAL command, but I'm not sure if that would help either,
      as I can't seem to find what TTYS? port it's supposedly
      installed on. Any info here?

      RECOMPILING MY KERNEL IS NOT AN OPTION UNLESS IT IS EASIER THAN SIN
      FOR A COMPLETE NOVICE TO PERFORM. For the PCMCIA, I went so far as
      installing the linux source on the hard drive so that I could run the
      PCMCIA-CS-3.1.34 make config, make all, and make install, but the
      only one of those three that seemed to work was the make config.
      Make all and install both errored out, saying something like 'file
      not found'. Tried with the ignore option (-I, I think) and it said
      the same error for all files it had... Also, I have no /etc/pcmcia
      directory to edit the config.opts file in. Don't know why. I know I
      used to before my reformat/reinstall a few weeks ago, but I don't
      have it now, and can't get PCMCIA-CS to install. I've also read that
      PCMCIA-CS in included in the kernel for 2.4 (my kernel is
      2.4.8_26MDK), but no matter what I can't seem to get this stuff to
      work.

      Any help at all is GREATLY appreciated...

      Thanks in Advance,

      CJ
    • mweiss38
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2002
        Hello,

        I have an inspiron 2500 running SuSE 8.0, and have most of my
        hardware working.

        XFree 4.2 should work with 24bpp in 1024x768.

        The lucent winmodem works for me, however it needs a recent BIOS
        (version A08 or later) to work. If lspci -vv tells you that the
        modem has been attributed irq 0, then it is time to do a BIOS
        upgrade. Be warned that these later BIOSes have no support for APM
        anymore, to be able to poweroff you have to use ACPI.

        If you could customize a recent 2.4 kernel with a recent ACPI-patch
        from
        http://sourceforge.net/projects/acpi/
        you could get some support for suspend to RAM (S1) and some
        rudimentary battery status information.

        Hope that helps,

        markus

        P. S.:
        At http://www.linux-laptop.net/ you can find some webpages dedicated
        to the I2500 (for XF86Config files etc.)
      • mweiss38
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4, 2002
          sorry to reply to myself, I should add:

          Sound works fine with the ALSA 0.9 sound drivers (which are used by
          default by SuSE).

          Markus
        • electronaurt
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 6, 2002
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "mweiss38" <mweiss38@y...> wrote:
            > Hello,
            >
            > I have an inspiron 2500 running SuSE 8.0, and have most of my
            > hardware working.

            Maybe I'll try that one after a while... Mandrake seems to be more
            geared toward the user who wants to avoid a lot of configging...
            Whereas I prefer to avoid it if possible, in the past I have had a
            tendency to get things working more reliably after I've explored all
            of the configuration options.

            Plus, I don't have the high-speed connection, have few friends that
            do, and Mandrake was only $30 at Wal*Mart. I'll be checking local
            office supply stores etc. to see if they have anything more like SuSE
            or Debian or whatnot--they seem to be the more reliable distros from
            what I'm reading on the net...

            > XFree 4.2 should work with 24bpp in 1024x768.

            I think I've got 4.0.1 or 4.1.... Even still, I would think it
            would, too. Doesn't even give me the option (and the last time I
            messed with xf86config or xconfigurator, I messed it all up - never
            figured out how)

            > The lucent winmodem works for me, however it needs a recent BIOS
            > (version A08 or later) to work. If lspci -vv tells you that the
            > modem has been attributed irq 0, then it is time to do a BIOS
            > upgrade. Be warned that these later BIOSes have no support for APM
            > anymore, to be able to poweroff you have to use ACPI.

            Great. I'm on BIOS A12, and I believe the last time I checked, Linux
            found the modem on IRQ 9. I recall reading that this is a problem,
            but I don't recall reading how to force it to another IRQ.

            > If you could customize a recent 2.4 kernel with a recent ACPI-patch
            > from
            > http://sourceforge.net/projects/acpi/
            > you could get some support for suspend to RAM (S1) and some
            > rudimentary battery status information.

            Good advice.

            I've got to get that DSL connection! ;-)

            > Hope that helps,
            >
            > markus
            >
            > P. S.:
            > At http://www.linux-laptop.net/ you can find some webpages
            dedicated
            > to the I2500 (for XF86Config files etc.)

            It will help in time...

            I've been to that website before. Didn't find a whole lot, but maybe
            I wasn't looking in the right spots? I'll check it out again...

            Thanks for the help,

            CJ