Post RedHat Installation - Windows 98 boot problem

  • Nandakishore Venkatesan
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2002
      Hi:

      I recently partitioned my hard-drive on my laptop -
      Dell Latitude CPi D233ST and installed Windows 98 and
      RedHat 7.1. I followed the redhat laptop installation
      and finished the installation.

      When I am presented with the option of booting windows
      or linux, the windows boot does not work consistently.
      Linux boot is not a problem. If I choose windows in
      the lilo menu, it brings up the initial windows 98
      screen and hangs. Sometimes it prompts me to use safe
      mode or normal mode - here if I choose either it boots
      fine. It does not give me this choice everytime
      especially when I try to shutdown from KDE with reboot
      as Windows option.

      Any help is most appreciated.

      Thanks
      Nandak

      http://finance.yahoo.com
    • tiger_lee007
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2002
        I once has a similar problem: after the installation, I can boot
        linux but I cannot boot windows. I reinstalled the linux (a
        completely new installation, including partition), then it works.

        You should install windows first and make sure windows work well
        before installing linux.

        Good luck,
        Tiger

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Nandakishore Venkatesan <nandakv@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hi:
        >
        > I recently partitioned my hard-drive on my laptop -
        > Dell Latitude CPi D233ST and installed Windows 98 and
        > RedHat 7.1. I followed the redhat laptop installation
        > and finished the installation.
        >
        > When I am presented with the option of booting windows
        > or linux, the windows boot does not work consistently.
        > Linux boot is not a problem. If I choose windows in
        > the lilo menu, it brings up the initial windows 98
        > screen and hangs. Sometimes it prompts me to use safe
        > mode or normal mode - here if I choose either it boots
        > fine. It does not give me this choice everytime
        > especially when I try to shutdown from KDE with reboot
        > as Windows option.
        >
        > Any help is most appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Nandak

        > http://finance.yahoo.com
      • Gabriel
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2002
          My 5 cents:

          Have you tried using grub instead of lilo ? ... I find grub more powerful than lilo. The grub line for booting windows is very simple:
          title windows
          rootnoverify (hd0,1)
          chainloader +1

          ... hum now that I think of it, I think redhat only introduced grub with redhat 7.2 ... to be verified. In case, grub can be found on http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/