[linux-dell-laptops] Re: Latitude CPi R400GT + Xwin 3.3.3.1

  • tbear_73@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 1999
      tcpbg-@... wrote:
      =135
      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm having troubles with the Xwindows on my a Latitude CPi R400GT
      > The graphic card is a Neomagic MagicMedia 256ZX with 4Mb SGRAM and AGP
      > bus.
      > The XF86 server is the XF86_SVGA supplied with the XFree86 3.3.3.1, it
      > supports certain Neomagic Chipsets but it doesn't works with my card.
      >
      > When I start xwindows the screen sets the 320x240 mode because the
      > Xserver doesn't recognize my chipset ("unknown NeoMagic chipset type
      > 0x0006").
      > I tried various XF86config files that i've found on Internet that
      > certain people claims to works with other NeoMagic chipsets but i
      can't
      > achieve a good result, in fact my laptop hangs totally.
      >
      > Any type of help will be welcome,
      >
      > Alf.

      Alf,

      I'm having the same problem with my Dell. Have you managed to find a
      solution yet?

      Thanx

      Terrence
    • kinkie@tiscalinet.it
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 1999
        tcpbg-@... wrote:
        =135
        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm having troubles with the Xwindows on my a Latitude CPi R400GT
        > The graphic card is a Neomagic MagicMedia 256ZX with 4Mb SGRAM and AGP
        > bus.

        I have a Latitude CPt 400, and encountered the same problem.
        See below for the solution.

        [...]

        > I tried various XF86config files that i've found on Internet that
        > certain people claims to works with other NeoMagic chipsets but i
        can't
        > achieve a good result, in fact my laptop hangs totally.

        Strange, mine didn't.

        > Any type of help will be welcome,

        I don't remember the exact NeoMagic code the Latitudes sport, but
        you're right, it's not supported by XFree86.
        However, XFree supports the NM2200 chipset, which _is_ compatible with
        the one on the Dell's, but it isn't correctly recognized.

        Solution: override XFree's autodetect

        So what you want to do is

        Section "Device"
        Identifier "NeoMagic"
        Chipset "NM2200"
        VideoRam 4096
        EndSection

        The VideroRam specification is needed because thee NM2200 chipset only
        has 2500something Kb of VideoRAM, so you need to override that
        autodetection too.

        That's all folks.

        /kinkie
      • tcpbgp@softhome.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 2, 1999
          Hi Kinkie,

          kinki-@... wrote:
          > > I'm having troubles with the Xwindows on my a Latitude CPi R400GT
          [...]
          > Solution: override XFree's autodetect
          [...]
          > Section "Device"
          > Identifier "NeoMagic"
          > Chipset "NM2200"
          > VideoRam 4096
          > EndSection
          [...]
          > That's all folks.

          Not really with me ;)
          Before post on this list I've already tested with *ALL* of the NeoMagic
          Chipsets that the X_SVGA server claims to be compliant and changing the
          VideoRam also but no one works for me, that includes the NM2200 Chipset.
          Really sad. :(

          The next try will be to use the frame buffer device (X_FDEV server),
          maybe that? :)

          Thanx for your post, Kinkie.

          Cheers,

          Alf.
        • kinkie@tiscalinet.it
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 3, 1999
            tcpbg-@... wrote:
            =150
            > Hi Kinkie,
            >
            > kinki-@... wrote:
            > > > I'm having troubles with the Xwindows on my a Latitude CPi R400GT
            > [...]
            > >
            > > Solution: override XFree's autodetect
            > [...]
            > >
            > > Section "Device"
            > > Identifier "NeoMagic"
            > > Chipset "NM2200"
            > > VideoRam 4096
            > > EndSection
            > [...]
            > > That's all folks.
            >
            > Not really with me ;)
            > Before post on this list I've already tested with *ALL* of the
            NeoMagic
            > Chipsets that the X_SVGA server claims to be compliant and changing
            the
            > VideoRam also but no one works for me, that includes the NM2200
            Chipset.
            > Really sad. :(

            Very strange. Maybe you're using an old XFree? Mine is the one supplied
            with a stock Mandrake 6.1 (should be 3.3.5, I'm not sure though).

            > The next try will be to use the frame buffer device (X_FDEV server),
            > maybe that? :)

            Maybe. I wish you luck, and please post your results.

            > Thanx for your post, Kinkie.

            You're welcome.
          • uzanmike@club-internet.fr
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 4, 1999
              Hello, I'm Mike (i'm french) end i was made last week-end the config of
              X windows for Dell Latitude Cpi R400GT and the file XF86Config is in my
              HDD.
              Please mail me on uzanmike@... if you want it. I've got a
              Dell and my config display on 1024x768 24 bit at 65 htz.
              I think, that my help was very big
              Friendly, Miko
              Bye

              =148

            • tcpbgp@softhome.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 4, 1999
                Hi again Kinkie,

                kinki-@... wrote:

                > > The next try will be to use the frame buffer device (X_FDEV server),
                > > maybe that? :)
                >
                > Maybe. I wish you luck, and please post your results.

                :)

                It works and even i can use 48 lines on the console 'cause now is
                treated as a graphic device with the XF86_FBDev server (Frame Buffer
                Device server)

                My 'make menuconfig' options that seems to be importants:

                Code maturity level options
                [*]Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers

                Console drivers
                [*]VGA text console
                [*]Video mode selection support
                [*]Support for frame buffer devices (EXPERIMENTAL)
                [*]VESA VGA graphics console
                [*]Advanced low level driver options
                <*>Monochrome support
                <*>2 bpp packed pixels support
                <*>4 bpp packed pixels support
                <*>8 bpp packed pixels support
                <*>16 bpp packed pixels support
                <*>24 bpp packed pixels support
                <*>32 bpp packed pixels support
                [*]VGA 16 colors planar support
                <*>VGA characters/attributes support
                [*]Support only 8 pixels wide fonts
                [*]Select compiled-in fonts
                [*] VGA 8x8 font
                [*] VGA 8x16 font
                [*] Sparc console 8x16 font
                [*] Pearl (old m68k) console 8x8 font
                [*] Acorn console 8x8 font

                Now my /etc/lilo.conf, don't miss the vga=791!

                # LILO configuration file
                #
                boot = /dev/hda
                message = /boot/boot_message.txt
                timeout = 100
                prompt
                # Linux bootable partition config begins
                vga=791
                image = /2213_fbdev
                root = /dev/hda2
                label = fbdev
                read-only
                image = /2213
                root = /dev/hda2
                label = 2213
                read-only
                # Linux bootable partition config ends
                # DOS bootable partition config begins
                other = /dev/hda3
                label = Win
                table = /dev/hda
                # DOS bootable partition config ends

                And now my /etc/XF86Config but only the most interesting parts:

                # **********************************************************************
                # Monitor section
                # **********************************************************************
                Section "Monitor"
                Identifier "Dell LCD"
                VendorName "Dell"
                ModelName "CPi R400GT"
                HorizSync 31.5 - 60
                VertRefresh 50-90
                Modeline "1024x768" 78.654 1024 1056 1184 1312 768 772 776 792
                -hsync -vsync
                EndSection

                Section "Device"
                Identifier "Primary card"
                VendorName "Neomagic"
                BoardName "256ZX"
                VideoRam 4096
                #Chipset "NM2200"
                EndSection

                Section "Screen"
                Driver "FBDev"
                Device "Primary card"
                Monitor "Dell LCD"
                SubSection "Display"
                Depth 16
                Modes "default"
                EndSubSection
                EndSection
                ------------------------------------

                This works on my Dell Latitude CPi R400GT with Linux v2.2.13

                All of this information has been achieved on the Net but sorry! I don't
                remember where! :((

                That's all folks!

                I hope this can help you,

                Alf.
              • tcpbgp@softhome.net
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 5, 1999
                  Hi Mike,

                  uzanmik-@... wrote:
                  > Hello, I'm Mike (i'm french) end i was made last week-end the config
                  of
                  > X windows for Dell Latitude Cpi R400GT and the file XF86Config is in
                  my
                  > HDD.

                  Plz, can you post the Monitor, Device and Screen section of your
                  XF86Config on the list?

                  Cheers,

                  Alf.
                • matias.magnusson@cacheflow.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 3, 1999
                    Could you please send me this XF86Config cause my X is not working at
                    all.

                    /Matias

                    =155

                  • f3668551@ppp.kornet21.net
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 5, 1999
                      It works well on my laptop.

                      Wolf

                      # File generated by XConfigurator.

                      # **********************************************************************
                      # Refer to the XF86Config(4/5) man page for details about the format of
                      # this file.
                      # **********************************************************************

                      # **********************************************************************
                      # Files section. This allows default font and rgb paths to be set
                      # **********************************************************************

                      Section "Files"

                      # The location of the RGB database. Note, this is the name of the
                      # file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db"). There is normally
                      # no need to change the default.

                      RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"

                      # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
                      # By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
                      # the X server to render fonts.

                      FontPath "unix/:-1"

                      EndSection

                      # **********************************************************************
                      # Server flags section.
                      # **********************************************************************

                      Section "ServerFlags"

                      # Uncomment this to cause a core dump at the spot where a signal is
                      # received. This may leave the console in an unusable state, but
                      may
                      # provide a better stack trace in the core dump to aid in debugging
                      #NoTrapSignals

                      # Uncomment this to disable the <Crtl><Alt><BS> server abort
                      sequence
                      # This allows clients to receive this key event.
                      #DontZap

                      # Uncomment this to disable the <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> mode
                      switching
                      # sequences. This allows clients to receive these key events.
                      #DontZoom

                      EndSection

                      # **********************************************************************
                      # Input devices
                      # **********************************************************************

                      # **********************************************************************
                      # Keyboard section
                      # **********************************************************************

                      Section "Keyboard"

                      Protocol "Standard"

                      # when using XQUEUE, comment out the above line, and uncomment the
                      # following line
                      #Protocol "Xqueue"

                      AutoRepeat 500 5

                      # Let the server do the NumLock processing. This should only be
                      # required when using pre-R6 clients
                      #ServerNumLock

                      # Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with
                      xset(1))
                      #Xleds 1 2 3

                      #To set the LeftAlt to Meta, RightAlt key to ModeShift,
                      #RightCtl key to Compose, and ScrollLock key to ModeLock:

                      LeftAlt Meta
                      RightAlt Meta
                      ScrollLock Compose
                      RightCtl Control

                      # To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.

                      # XkbDisable

                      # To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
                      # lines below (which are the defaults). For example, for a non-U.S.
                      # keyboard, you will probably want to use:
                      # XkbModel "pc102"
                      # If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
                      # XkbModel "microsoft"
                      #
                      # Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
                      # For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
                      # XkbLayout "de"
                      # or:
                      # XkbLayout "de"
                      # XkbVariant "nodeadkeys"
                      #
                      # If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
                      # control keys, use:
                      # XkbOptions "ctrl:swapcaps"

                      # These are the default XKB settings for XFree86
                      # XkbRules "xfree86"
                      # XkbModel "pc101"
                      # XkbLayout "us"
                      # XkbVariant ""
                      # XkbOptions ""

                      XkbKeycodes "xfree86"
                      XkbTypes "default"
                      XkbCompat "default"
                      XkbSymbols "us(pc101)"
                      XkbGeometry "pc"
                      XkbRules "xfree86"
                      XkbModel "pc101"
                      XkbLayout "us"
                      EndSection

                      # **********************************************************************
                      # Pointer section
                      # **********************************************************************

                      Section "Pointer"
                      Protocol "PS/2"
                      Device "/dev/mouse"

                      # When using XQUEUE, comment out the above two lines, and uncomment
                      # the following line.

                      # Protocol "Xqueue"

                      # Baudrate and SampleRate are only for some Logitech mice

                      # BaudRate 9600
                      # SampleRate 150

                      # Emulate3Buttons is an option for 2-button Microsoft mice
                      # Emulate3Timeout is the timeout in milliseconds (default is 50ms)

                      Emulate3Buttons
                      Emulate3Timeout 50

                      # ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice

                      # ChordMiddle

                      EndSection

                      # **********************************************************************
                      # Monitor section
                      # **********************************************************************

                      # Any number of monitor sections may be present

                      Section "Monitor"

                      Identifier "Samsung SyncMaster 17GLsi"
                      VendorName "Unknown"
                      ModelName "Unknown"

                      # HorizSync is in kHz unless units are specified.
                      # HorizSync may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
                      # comma separated list of ranges of values.
                      # NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY. REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
                      # USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

                      HorizSync 30-85

                      # VertRefresh is in Hz unless units are specified.
                      # VertRefresh may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
                      # comma separated list of ranges of values.
                      # NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY. REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
                      # USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

                      VertRefresh 50-120

                      # Modes can be specified in two formats. A compact one-line format, or
                      # a multi-line format.

                      # These two are equivalent

                      # ModeLine "1024x768i" 45 1024 1048 1208 1264 768 776 784 817
                      Interlace

                      # Mode "1024x768i"
                      # DotClock 45
                      # HTimings 1024 1048 1208 1264
                      # VTimings 768 776 784 817
                      # Flags "Interlace"
                      # EndMode

                      # This is a set of standard mode timings. Modes that are out of monitor
                      spec
                      # are automatically deleted by the server (provided the HorizSync and
                      # VertRefresh lines are correct), so there's no immediate need to
                      # delete mode timings (unless particular mode timings don't work on your
                      # monitor). With these modes, the best standard mode that your monitor
                      # and video card can support for a given resolution is automatically
                      # used.

                      # 640x400 @ 70 Hz, 31.5 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "640x400" 25.175 640 664 760 800 400 409 411 450
                      # 640x480 @ 60 Hz, 31.5 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "640x480" 25.175 640 664 760 800 480 491 493 525
                      # 800x600 @ 56 Hz, 35.15 kHz hsync
                      ModeLine "800x600" 36 800 824 896 1024 600 601 603 625
                      # 1024x768 @ 87 Hz interlaced, 35.5 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "1024x768" 44.9 1024 1048 1208 1264 768 776 784 817
                      Interlace

                      # 640x400 @ 85 Hz, 37.86 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "640x400" 31.5 640 672 736 832 400 401 404 445
                      -HSync +VSync
                      # 640x480 @ 72 Hz, 36.5 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "640x480" 31.5 640 680 720 864 480 488 491 521
                      # 640x480 @ 75 Hz, 37.50 kHz hsync
                      ModeLine "640x480" 31.5 640 656 720 840 480 481 484 500
                      -HSync -VSync
                      # 800x600 @ 60 Hz, 37.8 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "800x600" 40 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628
                      +hsync +vsync

                      # 640x480 @ 85 Hz, 43.27 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "640x480" 36 640 696 752 832 480 481 484 509
                      -HSync -VSync
                      # 1152x864 @ 89 Hz interlaced, 44 kHz hsync
                      ModeLine "1152x864" 65 1152 1168 1384 1480 864 865 875 985
                      Interlace

                      # 800x600 @ 72 Hz, 48.0 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "800x600" 50 800 856 976 1040 600 637 643 666
                      +hsync +vsync
                      # 1024x768 @ 60 Hz, 48.4 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "1024x768" 65 1024 1032 1176 1344 768 771 777 806
                      -hsync -vsync

                      # 640x480 @ 100 Hz, 53.01 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "640x480" 45.8 640 672 768 864 480 488 494 530
                      -HSync -VSync
                      # 1152x864 @ 60 Hz, 53.5 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "1152x864" 89.9 1152 1216 1472 1680 864 868 876 892
                      -HSync -VSync
                      # 800x600 @ 85 Hz, 55.84 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "800x600" 60.75 800 864 928 1088 600 616 621 657
                      -HSync -VSync

                      # 1024x768 @ 70 Hz, 56.5 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "1024x768" 75 1024 1048 1184 1328 768 771 777 806
                      -hsync -vsync
                      # 1280x1024 @ 87 Hz interlaced, 51 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "1280x1024" 80 1280 1296 1512 1568 1024 1025 1037 1165
                      Interlace

                      # 800x600 @ 100 Hz, 64.02 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "800x600" 69.65 800 864 928 1088 600 604 610 640
                      -HSync -VSync
                      # 1024x768 @ 76 Hz, 62.5 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "1024x768" 85 1024 1032 1152 1360 768 784 787 823
                      # 1152x864 @ 70 Hz, 62.4 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "1152x864" 92 1152 1208 1368 1474 864 865 875 895
                      # 1280x1024 @ 61 Hz, 64.2 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "1280x1024" 110 1280 1328 1512 1712 1024 1025 1028 1054

                      # 1024x768 @ 85 Hz, 70.24 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "1024x768" 98.9 1024 1056 1216 1408 768 782 788 822
                      -HSync -VSync
                      # 1152x864 @ 78 Hz, 70.8 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "1152x864" 110 1152 1240 1324 1552 864 864 876 908

                      # 1280x1024 @ 70 Hz, 74.59 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "1280x1024" 126.5 1280 1312 1472 1696 1024 1032 1040 1068
                      -HSync -VSync
                      # 1600x1200 @ 60Hz, 75.00 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "1600x1200" 162 1600 1664 1856 2160 1200 1201 1204 1250
                      +HSync +VSync
                      # 1152x864 @ 84 Hz, 76.0 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "1152x864" 135 1152 1464 1592 1776 864 864 876 908

                      # 1280x1024 @ 74 Hz, 78.85 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "1280x1024" 135 1280 1312 1456 1712 1024 1027 1030 1064

                      # 1024x768 @ 100Hz, 80.21 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "1024x768" 115.5 1024 1056 1248 1440 768 771 781 802
                      -HSync -VSync
                      # 1280x1024 @ 76 Hz, 81.13 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "1280x1024" 135 1280 1312 1416 1664 1024 1027 1030 1064

                      # 1600x1200 @ 70 Hz, 87.50 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "1600x1200" 189 1600 1664 1856 2160 1200 1201 1204 1250
                      -HSync -VSync
                      # 1152x864 @ 100 Hz, 89.62 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "1152x864" 137.65 1152 1184 1312 1536 864 866 885 902
                      -HSync -VSync
                      # 1280x1024 @ 85 Hz, 91.15 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "1280x1024" 157.5 1280 1344 1504 1728 1024 1025 1028 1072
                      +HSync +VSync
                      # 1600x1200 @ 75 Hz, 93.75 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "1600x1200" 202.5 1600 1664 1856 2160 1200 1201 1204 1250
                      +HSync +VSync
                      # 1600x1200 @ 85 Hz, 105.77 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "1600x1200" 220 1600 1616 1808 2080 1200 1204 1207 1244
                      +HSync +VSync
                      # 1280x1024 @ 100 Hz, 107.16 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "1280x1024" 181.75 1280 1312 1440 1696 1024 1031 1046 1072
                      -HSync -VSync

                      # 1800x1440 @ 64Hz, 96.15 kHz hsync
                      ModeLine "1800X1440" 230 1800 1896 2088 2392 1440 1441 1444 1490
                      +HSync +VSync
                      # 1800x1440 @ 70Hz, 104.52 kHz hsync
                      ModeLine "1800X1440" 250 1800 1896 2088 2392 1440 1441 1444 1490
                      +HSync +VSync

                      # 512x384 @ 78 Hz, 31.50 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "512x384" 20.160 512 528 592 640 384 385 388 404
                      -HSync -VSync
                      # 512x384 @ 85 Hz, 34.38 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "512x384" 22 512 528 592 640 384 385 388 404
                      -HSync -VSync

                      # Low-res Doublescan modes
                      # If your chipset does not support doublescan, you get a 'squashed'
                      # resolution like 320x400.

                      # 320x200 @ 70 Hz, 31.5 kHz hsync, 8:5 aspect ratio
                      Modeline "320x200" 12.588 320 336 384 400 200 204 205 225
                      Doublescan
                      # 320x240 @ 60 Hz, 31.5 kHz hsync, 4:3 aspect ratio
                      Modeline "320x240" 12.588 320 336 384 400 240 245 246 262
                      Doublescan
                      # 320x240 @ 72 Hz, 36.5 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "320x240" 15.750 320 336 384 400 240 244 246 262
                      Doublescan
                      # 400x300 @ 56 Hz, 35.2 kHz hsync, 4:3 aspect ratio
                      ModeLine "400x300" 18 400 416 448 512 300 301 302 312
                      Doublescan
                      # 400x300 @ 60 Hz, 37.8 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "400x300" 20 400 416 480 528 300 301 303 314
                      Doublescan
                      # 400x300 @ 72 Hz, 48.0 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "400x300" 25 400 424 488 520 300 319 322 333
                      Doublescan
                      # 480x300 @ 56 Hz, 35.2 kHz hsync, 8:5 aspect ratio
                      ModeLine "480x300" 21.656 480 496 536 616 300 301 302 312
                      Doublescan
                      # 480x300 @ 60 Hz, 37.8 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "480x300" 23.890 480 496 576 632 300 301 303 314
                      Doublescan
                      # 480x300 @ 63 Hz, 39.6 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "480x300" 25 480 496 576 632 300 301 303 314
                      Doublescan
                      # 480x300 @ 72 Hz, 48.0 kHz hsync
                      Modeline "480x300" 29.952 480 504 584 624 300 319 322 333
                      Doublescan

                      EndSection

                      # **********************************************************************
                      # Graphics device section
                      # **********************************************************************

                      # Any number of graphics device sections may be present

                      Section "Device"
                      Identifier "Generic VGA"
                      VendorName "Unknown"
                      BoardName "Unknown"
                      Chipset "generic"

                      # VideoRam 256

                      # Clocks 25.2 28.3

                      EndSection

                      # Device configured by Xconfigurator:

                      Section "Device"
                      Identifier "Neomagic Corporation|[MagicGraph 256ZX]"
                      VendorName "Unknown"
                      BoardName "Unknown"
                      VideoRam 4096
                      Chipset "NM2200"
                      # IOBase 0xfea00000
                      # MemBase 0xfd000000
                      # VideoRam 2048
                      # DacSpeed 90
                      # Option "linear"
                      # Option "nolinear"
                      # Option "sw_cursor"
                      # Option "hw_cursor"
                      # Option "no_accel"
                      # Option "intern_disp"
                      # Option "extern_disp"
                      # Option "mmio"
                      # Option "no_mmio"
                      # Option "lcd_center"
                      # Option "no_stretch"
                      # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
                      EndSection

                      # **********************************************************************
                      # Screen sections
                      # **********************************************************************

                      # The Colour SVGA server

                      Section "Screen"
                      Driver "svga"
                      # Use Device "Generic VGA" for Standard VGA 320x200x256
                      #Device "Generic VGA"
                      Device "Neomagic Corporation|[MagicGraph 256ZX]"
                      Monitor "Samsung SyncMaster 17GLsi"
                      Subsection "Display"
                      Depth 8
                      # Omit the Modes line for the "Generic VGA" device
                      Modes "1024x768" "1152x864" "1280x1024"
                      ViewPort 0 0
                      Virtual 1024 768
                      EndSubsection
                      Subsection "Display"
                      Depth 16
                      Modes "1024x768" "1152x864" "1280x1024"
                      ViewPort 0 0
                      EndSubsection
                      Subsection "Display"
                      Depth 32
                      Modes "800x600" "1024x768" "1152x864"
                      ViewPort 0 0
                      EndSubsection
                      EndSection

                      # The 16-color VGA server

                      Section "Screen"
                      Driver "vga16"
                      Device "Generic VGA"
                      Monitor "Samsung SyncMaster 17GLsi"
                      Subsection "Display"
                      Modes "640x480" "800x600"
                      ViewPort 0 0
                      EndSubsection
                      EndSection

                      # The Mono server

                      Section "Screen"
                      Driver "vga2"
                      Device "Generic VGA"
                      Monitor "Samsung SyncMaster 17GLsi"
                      Subsection "Display"
                      Modes "640x480" "800x600"
                      ViewPort 0 0
                      EndSubsection
                      EndSection

                      # The accelerated servers (S3, Mach32, Mach8, 8514, P9000, AGX, W32,
                      Mach64
                      # I128, and S3V)
                      Section "Screen"
                      Driver "accel"