Re: [linux-dell-laptops] S2R & CD lockups

  • James D Strandboge
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 1 5:50 AM
      On Sun, 2002-09-01 at 07:50, jamesots wrote:
      > > After S2R:
      > >
      > > 1) Any attempt to mount the cdrom results in a complete lock-up.
      > > Other people have reported this problem, but nobody has a fix
      > > that I'm aware of.
      >
      > I have a fix! (Works here anyway)
      >
      > After resuming, log in as root (su), and run the following two
      > commands:
      >
      > rmmod ide-scsi
      > modprobe ide-scsi
      >
      > I'm not sure what happens if the cd is mounted at the time. I've
      > never tried that yet. I've also not tried automating the process
      > either.

      Sounds like a great thing to put in the apm scripts.

      Eg:
      suspend,standby)
      umount /mnt/cdrom 2>&1 | logger
      rmmod ide-scsi 2>&1 | logger
      ... other stuff ...
      ;;
      resume)
      modprobe ide-scsi 2>&1 | logger
      mount /mnt/cdrom
      ... other stuff ...
      ;;

      Maybe mounting after suspend shouldn't be done, I guess it wouldn't
      hurt, just clutter the logs when it isn't in there.

      Jamie
    • lesifuhl
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 3 6:03 AM
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Peter Møller Neergaard <turtle@a...>
        wrote:

        > G> 2) After 2 suspends the mouse dies. This is true for the synaptic
        > G> driver (synaptics_drv.o) and for the generic (mouse_drv.o). I can
        > G> get the mouse back by forcing a S2R, but thats not a great fix.
        >
        > This might have been the thing I saw with the synaptics driver.
        > Actually, I just experienced the same thing after a S2R where I only
        > could get back the driver after a S2D

        Hi,
        I already wondered if I was the only one having this problem: After
        s2r the mouse (Synaptics_drv.o) isn't working any more. My remedy is
        to start a second X session from the console (startx -- :1), which
        brings back the mouse on _both_ X sessions. Is there a more elegant
        way to reload the synaptics driver directly?

        Stefan
      • Norbert Preining
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 3 6:23 AM
          On Die, 03 Sep 2002, lesifuhl wrote:
          > s2r the mouse (Synaptics_drv.o) isn't working any more. My remedy is
          > to start a second X session from the console (startx -- :1), which

          Switch to console and back to X should help, too.

          Best wishes

          Norbert

          Norbert Preining <preining AT logic DOT at> Technische Universität Wien
          SHEPPY (n.)

          Measure of distance (equal to approximately seven eighths of a mile),
          defined as the closest distance at which sheep remain picturesque.

          --- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff
        • noobodee
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 3 10:46 AM
            This is not exactly about the mouse/synaptic drivers but
            lucky you people! I couldn't even get swsusp to work.
            I applied the swsusp patch to the vanilla 2.4.18 kernel,
            compiled fine with swsusp configured in the kernel.
            Reboot the new kernel ok and then I typed
            echo "1 0 0" > /proc/sys/kernel/swsusp
            or
            echo "1 0 2" > /proc/sys/kernel/swsusp
            or
            echo "1 0 0" > /proc/sys/kernel/swsusp
            but nothing happened. Using apm -s did a suspend to ram fine
            (which I could do with Fn-suspend anyway so what is the point).
            Then tried apm -S, the screen went blank but the back light
            was still on and the laptop did not power down. It became totally
            unresponsive to the keyboard (if xmms was playing music, I could
            still hear the music, tried it without xmms running as well
            but nothing happened). I need to do a suspend to ram and power up
            to restore from this weird apm -S behavior.
            Also tried in console mode with X window running and still nothing
            happened. I am not using any Nvideo driver so it is very puzzling.
            Anyone encountered this before?

            noobodee.

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Norbert Preining <preining@l...>

            ----

            ----
            > SHEPPY (n.)
            >
            > Measure of distance (equal to approximately seven eighths of a
            mile),
            > defined as the closest distance at which sheep remain picturesque.
            >
            > --- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff
          • Peter Møller Neergaard
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 4 9:32 AM
              On September 3, 2002, noobodee wrote:

              N> This is not exactly about the mouse/synaptic drivers but lucky you
              N> people! I couldn't even get swsusp to work. I applied the swsusp
              N> patch to the vanilla 2.4.18 kernel, compiled fine with swsusp
              N> configured in the kernel. Reboot the new kernel ok and then I typed
              N> echo "1 0 0" > /proc/sys/kernel/swsusp or echo "1 0 2" >
              N> /proc/sys/kernel/swsusp or echo "1 0 0" > /proc/sys/kernel/swsusp
              N> ..... but nothing

              This might be a wild shot, but have you added the option

              resume=/dev/hdaX

              when booting your kernel (/dev/hdaX is your swap space). (I did the
              same mistake, and had to get help on the swsusp mailing list.)

              N> Using apm -s did a suspend to ram fine (which I could do with
              N> Fn-suspend anyway so what is the point).

              That is the standard behavior. By default, swsusp does not change the
              apm behavior.

              N> Then tried apm -S, the screen went blank but the back
              N> light was still on and the laptop did not power down.

              Again, this is the standard behavior. At least on my laptop.

              /Peter
              --
              http://www.linearity.org/turtle/contact.html
              ``When you have had all the experiences, met all the famous people,
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 5 11:29 AM
                wrote:
                > On September 3, 2002, noobodee wrote:
                >
                > N> This is not exactly about the mouse/synaptic drivers but lucky
                you
                > N> people! I couldn't even get swsusp to work. I applied the swsusp
                > N> patch to the vanilla 2.4.18 kernel, compiled fine with swsusp
                > N> configured in the kernel. Reboot the new kernel ok and then I
                typed
                > N> echo "1 0 0" > /proc/sys/kernel/swsusp or echo "1 0 2" >
                > N> /proc/sys/kernel/swsusp or echo "1 0 0" > /proc/sys/kernel/swsusp
                > N> ..... but nothing
                >
                > This might be a wild shot, but have you added the option
                >
                > resume=/dev/hdaX
                >
                > when booting your kernel (/dev/hdaX is your swap space). (I did the
                > same mistake, and had to get help on the swsusp mailing list.)
                >
                > N> Using apm -s did a suspend to ram fine (which I could do with
                > N> Fn-suspend anyway so what is the point).
                >
                > That is the standard behavior. By default, swsusp does not change
                the
                > apm behavior.
                >
                > N> Then tried apm -S, the screen went blank but the back
                > N> light was still on and the laptop did not power down.
                >
                > Again, this is the standard behavior. At least on my laptop.
                >
                > /Peter
                > --

                Thanks Peter!

                I did put in a resume=/dev/hdaX but in the wrong place.
                I was confused with the Swsusp-faq which led me to think that the
                resume=/dev/hdaX was needed only on resume. Ok so you have
                to put that in even when you are not resuming but simply booting
                with the swsusp-configured kernel. The resume option is there to
                preserve the possibility of a suspension to disk during the
                session. Oh well!

                It now suspends fine but the screen is totally screwed up on
                resumption if X window was running. In console mode it works fine
                except the sound becomes weird. But if you have to always exit
                from X window, it wouldn't be too useful. One might as well just
                shut the machine down. Ok you can keep some program running
                in the background and continue on resumption but interactive
                session like in the middle of an editing in X window or drawing
                graphs is a no no.

                Or may be DRI isn't allowed with swsusp and has to be turned off?

                noobodee.
              • Peter Møller Neergaard
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 5 1:16 PM
                  On September 5, 2002, noobodee wrote:

                  N> It now suspends fine but the screen is totally screwed up on
                  N> resumption if X window was running.

                  What screen card do you have?

                  I have the nvidia GeForce2Go, but uses the nv driver rather than
                  nvidia's driver and that is working fine (as far as suspension; I lost
                  the possibility of using an external monitor :-( ).

                  As far as I can tell I have DRI turned on, but I have seen people on
                  the swsusp list complaining about problems with DRI so if everything
                  else fails, it might be worth a shot turning it off.

                  N> In console mode it works fine except the sound becomes weird. But
                  N> if you have to always exit from X window, it wouldn't be too
                  N> useful.

                  You might consider running a vnc server and then start the X server
                  running only the vncviewer. Unless you are doing 3D stuff (so you
                  need the glx) that appears to be as fast as running the server
                  directly. That way you can keep you Xsession, but stuff the X server.

                  Best

                  Peter
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 6 3:51 PM
                    wrote:
                    > On September 5, 2002, noobodee wrote:
                    >
                    > N> It now suspends fine but the screen is totally screwed up on
                    > N> resumption if X window was running.
                    >
                    > What screen card do you have?

                    Mine is a I4150 which comes with the ATI Mobility Radeon 7500
                    card, not Nvidia GeForce :-(. So I guess there is no quick fix.
                    Probably try playing with DRI or something else to see if
                    anything works.

                    > I have the nvidia GeForce2Go, but uses the nv driver rather than
                    > nvidia's driver and that is working fine (as far as suspension; I
                    lost
                    > the possibility of using an external monitor :-( ).
                    >
                    > As far as I can tell I have DRI turned on, but I have seen people on
                    > the swsusp list complaining about problems with DRI so if everything
                    > else fails, it might be worth a shot turning it off.
                    >
                    > N> In console mode it works fine except the sound becomes weird. But
                    > N> if you have to always exit from X window, it wouldn't be too
                    > N> useful.
                    >
                    > You might consider running a vnc server and then start the X server
                    > running only the vncviewer. Unless you are doing 3D stuff (so you
                    > need the glx) that appears to be as fast as running the server
                    > directly. That way you can keep you Xsession, but stuff the X
                    server.

                    > Best
                    >
                    > Peter
                    > --
                    > http://www.linearity.org/turtle/contact.html
                    > ``When you have had all the experiences, met all the famous people,
                    > made some money, toured the world and got all the acclaim you still
                    > think--is that it? Some might be satisfied--but I wasn't'' -- G.
                    Harrison
                  • Andrew
                    Message 9 of 30 , Nov 7, 2002
                      On Thursday 05 September 2002 04:16 pm, Peter Møller Neergaard wrote:
                      > On September 5, 2002, noobodee wrote:
                      >
                      > N> It now suspends fine but the screen is totally screwed up on
                      > N> resumption if X window was running.
                      >
                      > What screen card do you have?
                      >
                      > I have the nvidia GeForce2Go, but uses the nv driver rather than
                      > nvidia's driver and that is working fine (as far as suspension; I lost
                      > the possibility of using an external monitor :-( ).
                      >
                      > As far as I can tell I have DRI turned on, but I have seen people on
                      > the swsusp list complaining about problems with DRI so if everything
                      > else fails, it might be worth a shot turning it off.
                      >
                      > N> In console mode it works fine except the sound becomes weird. But
                      > N> if you have to always exit from X window, it wouldn't be too
                      > N> useful.
                      >
                      > You might consider running a vnc server and then start the X server
                      > running only the vncviewer. Unless you are doing 3D stuff (so you
                      > need the glx) that appears to be as fast as running the server
                      > directly. That way you can keep you Xsession, but stuff the X server.
                      >
                      > Best
                      >
                      > Peter

                      I just started following this thread... I am going to try this on my laptop
                      tonight (oops... it's turned into this morning LOL) but anyway. I'm going
                      to try to make a working RPM set for those using RH 7.3
                      right now it's compiling... I'll let you know how it goes when it's done...
                      btw, what did you use for modelines and such?
                      --Andrew

                      --

                      PGP fingerprint: A00A 1E75 3AB0 610E 2300 6855 1890 C61E E590 F777
                      Link to PGP key: http://linuxboy.dyndns.org/files/pubpgpkey.txt
                      Message 10 of 30 , Nov 8, 2002
                        On Friday 08 November 2002 02:00 am, Andrew wrote:
                        > I'll let you know how it goes when it's done...
                        > btw, what did you use for modelines and such?

                        guess what :) didn't work LOL. Sooooo... gonna try to make an RPM from the
                        CVS version... maybe it'll work... not gonna give it much hope tho :(
                        Andrew~