Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Netscape and dialup problem

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2002

      >Now I can make my modem work with RH7.3 and I can use telnet,
      >ftp etc. However, I cannot use Netscape or Mozilla web servers
      >as a regular user, they cannot look up the web address. If I
      >login as root, then Netscape and Mozilla work. Could anybody
      >tell me how to make a regular user also be able to use Netscape?

      As a regular user try "telnet www.some-domain.com 80". If it connects,
      enter some garbage characters, then hit enter. It should look something
      like this:

      [paul@trunks paul]$ telnet www.dpagin.net 80
      Trying 66.33.199.147...
      Connected to www.dpagin.net.
      Escape character is '^]'.
      asdf
      <HTML><HEAD>
      <TITLE>501 Method Not Implemented</TITLE>
      </HEAD><BODY>
      <H1>Method Not Implemented</H1>
      asdf to /index.html not supported.<P>
      Invalid method in request asdf<P>
      </BODY></HTML>
      Connection closed by foreign host.
      [paul@trunks paul]$

      Otherwise, this is an interesting problem!