Re: Modular DVD on Slackware 8.1

  • rlillard333
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2002
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@...,
      > "wickdgin" <wickdgin@b...> wrote:

      > Anyone have any idea on how to get my modular DVD
      > working on Slack. I haven't even attempted this
      > yet- but I was hoping someone could offer me some
      > insight.

      Since no one has responded yet, I'll offer a few
      comments and a question.

      1. What laptop do you have and what do you mean
      by "modular dvd"?

      2. I shouldn't matter, but I am using RedHat 7.3.
      I would expect most if not all of the other
      distros to work well too, it's just that I
      haven't tried them.

      3. Assuming you have relatively new equipment,
      you should be able to get Ogle working. I
      tried some of the others with inferior results
      to those experienced with Ogle.

      4. Make sure all is well with your X configuration
      first. See Stephen Lau's FAQ.

      5. You will probably need to add several supporting
      packages before Ogle will work. At least I did
      for RedHat.

      6. If your laptop uses the Nvidia GE Force Go chip
      and you want to play a DVD on an external monitor,
      you must start X with the external monitor as your
      display :0.0. See the previous thread starting
      with message 14646 on this list.

      Works great for me.

      Best,
      Ray
    • wickdgin
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 19, 2002
        Alright, well I didn't get back with this one until now. Show's how
        much I use it- but I've gotten everything but working.

        By modular DVD I mean it is a modular drive, which swaps out between
        my floppy.

        First off, I'm not even sure what device to use. In Redhat,
        annaconda used to automaticly detect the dvd-rom at start up and
        provide the mount point(it would remove /mnt/floppy and make
        /mnt/cdrom2) and everything - Slackware obviously doesn't do that, nor
        do I want it to. I just wish I had a copy of my fstab and /dev or
        something when I had my dvd-rom in.

        Also does anyone know if it is safe to swap drives out of the bay if
        the computer is in suspend mode, or should it be always completly off?

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "rlillard333" <rlillard333@y...> wrote:
        > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y...,
        > > "wickdgin" <wickdgin@b...> wrote:
        >
        > > Anyone have any idea on how to get my modular DVD
        > > working on Slack. I haven't even attempted this
        > > yet- but I was hoping someone could offer me some
        > > insight.
        >
        > Since no one has responded yet, I'll offer a few
        > comments and a question.
        >
        > 1. What laptop do you have and what do you mean
        > by "modular dvd"?
        >
        > 2. I shouldn't matter, but I am using RedHat 7.3.
        > I would expect most if not all of the other
        > distros to work well too, it's just that I
        > haven't tried them.
        >
        > 3. Assuming you have relatively new equipment,
        > you should be able to get Ogle working. I
        > tried some of the others with inferior results
        > to those experienced with Ogle.
        >
        > 4. Make sure all is well with your X configuration
        > first. See Stephen Lau's FAQ.
        >
        > 5. You will probably need to add several supporting
        > packages before Ogle will work. At least I did
        > for RedHat.
        >
        > 6. If your laptop uses the Nvidia GE Force Go chip
        > and you want to play a DVD on an external monitor,
        > you must start X with the external monitor as your
        > display :0.0. See the previous thread starting
        > with message 14646 on this list.
        >
        > Works great for me.
        >
        > Best,
        > Ray
      • wickdgin
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 19, 2002
          Ok, I figured out the device I needed to use was /dev/hdc. So I
          restarted made a symbolic link /dev/dvd to /dev/hdc, and added it to
          my fstab to mount in /mnt/dvd. So the dvd is recognized now, and
          mounts cd's fine. I guess I'll start working on getting it to play
          dvd's sometime soon, as soon as I rent or borrow someones (I don't own
          any, sad isn't it).

          I'd still like to know if it is safe to swap drives into the bay if
          it's in suspend mode. And if so how would I get linux to recognize the
          change in hardware without rebooting?

        • Roger
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 19, 2002
            --- wickdgin <wickdgin@...> wrote:
            > Ok, I figured out the device I needed to use was /dev/hdc. So I
            > restarted made a symbolic link /dev/dvd to /dev/hdc, and added it to
            > my fstab to mount in /mnt/dvd. So the dvd is recognized now, and
            > mounts cd's fine. I guess I'll start working on getting it to play
            > dvd's sometime soon, as soon as I rent or borrow someones (I don't
            > own
            > any, sad isn't it).

            I use ogle for dvd playback. there were about 5 or 6 rpms to download,
            all listed on the ogle page. the video isn't smooth without
            hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdc

            roger

            http://sbc.yahoo.com