Re: [linux-dell-laptops] [i8200] suspend to ram & fans-gone-wild issue when resuming

  • Pierre Lombard
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 29, 2002

      On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 07:36:25AM +0200, Domsalla, Thorsten wrote:

      > > When I hit suspend to ram, the machine suspends OK.
      > > Yet, if I let it suspended for a few hours (for instance
      > > overnight), then the fans go mad when I resume it. If I load
      > > the i8k module then the CPU temperature appears as 85C, which
      > > is not at all close to the reality (rather around 40C
      > > immediately after a reboot).
      >
      > This is a well known issue and there was a great discussion about it in this forum.

      Thanks for pointing it out as I did not know what to search exactly.

      > I guess you plugged in the AC before resuming?! Thus, your machine is in 'Maintenance Mode'. Actually, this happend twice for me and, I had to send my I8K to Dell. Maybe a newer BIOS might help but, I'm uncertain.

      I've done that. Nothing was really special but the system was
      slightly slower (not to the point of seeing the characters display) and
      both fans were at max speed. The LED's were not blinking.

      As the DELL utilities did not show anything wrong with my system, I
      downgraded to A03 bios just to be sure it's not an issue related to the
      A06 bios... time will tell.

      --
      Best regards,
      Pierre Lombard <p-l-42@...>