Dell CPx having problems with X

  • der_saufbruder
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2002
      Hello everyone,
      I am trying to install the SuSE 8.0 version of Linux on my CPx
      laptop. But when I get done with the installation, the screen comes
      up staggered from where it should be. The top of the screen is about
      1/5th down the screen, and then the bottom which would be pushed off
      is wrapped around the top. The cursor is also staggered from what you
      see on the screen, so you have to position the cursor about 1 inch
      below the button on the screen in order to click on it. I've been
      trying to figure out what setting is wrong. Does anyone know of a way
      to fix this?

      Thanks.
    • pbsriniv
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 5, 2002
        I had similar issues, but with a matrox card, 22" monitor.

        The problem I had was that the mode setting for my monitor was being
        wrongly set by yast.. The way I fixed it was to back up my current
        version of /etc/X11/XF86config. Then I set the machine for
        nongraphical login by editing /etc/inittab and setting the runlevel
        3. I then rebooted, logged in and then ran the utility that generates
        the xf86config config file. I forget the name of the program (This is
        the XFree's utility, not sax or sax2). You can then type startx to
        see if the newfile is good..

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "der_saufbruder"