Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Networking

  • Stephen Lau
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2002
      you can put your home dir on your desktop machine, and export it via NFS to
      your laptop. this however would not help you in working on your laptop when
      you are commuting however. it seems that you might want to use a tool like
      'rsync' to synchronise files before shutdown or something.

      cheers,
      steve

      On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 12:32:44PM -0000, d99ma wrote:
      > Hi
      >
      > I have the following setup at home. I have a desktop computer that is
      > always on and working as a gateway to Internet for my laptop. What I
      > want to do is to have my home directory available both on the laptop
      > and on the desktop. So if I work on something at home and saves it to
      > my home directory i can work on it on my laptop when commuting to
      > work, and when I get to work an realizes that I have left my laptop
      > on the train I can connect to my home desktop and retreive the file.
      > How do I achieve this in a nice way?

      stephen lau :: [ldl@...] :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
      http://www.whacked.net/oss/ldl
    • david carlton
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2002
        On Fri, 02 Aug 2002 12:32:44 -0000, "d99ma" <d99ma@...> said:

        > I have the following setup at home. I have a desktop computer that
        > is always on and working as a gateway to Internet for my
        > laptop. What I want to do is to have my home directory available
        > both on the laptop and on the desktop. So if I work on something at
        > home and saves it to my home directory i can work on it on my laptop
        > when commuting to work, and when I get to work an realizes that I
        > have left my laptop on the train I can connect to my home desktop
        > and retreive the file. How do I achieve this in a nice way?

        I'm not sure I understand the scenario: are you getting internet
        access while on the train? If so, cool! (If not, obviously you can't
        expect your desktop to know about files that you've edited on your
        laptop since the last time your laptop was connected to the internet,
        or at least to a phone connection to your desktop somehow.)

        Anyways, the solution that I use, which involves explicitly
        synchronizing the two systems at appropriate times, is rsync; see
        <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/i8200/rsync.html>. If your laptop
        _always_ has a reliable internet connection to your desktop, then you
        could try some other more transparent solution (NFS or AFS or
        something).

        David Carlton | <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/>
        carlton@... | I8200: <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/i8200/>
      • Thomas Deselaers
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2002
          On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 12:32:44PM -0000, d99ma wrote:
          > Hi
          >
          > I have the following setup at home. I have a desktop computer that is
          > always on and working as a gateway to Internet for my laptop. What I
          > want to do is to have my home directory available both on the laptop
          > and on the desktop. So if I work on something at home and saves it to
          > my home directory i can work on it on my laptop when commuting to
          > work, and when I get to work an realizes that I have left my laptop
          > on the train I can connect to my home desktop and retreive the file.
          > How do I achieve this in a nice way?

          OK, there are several possibilities:

          1. nfs a network-filesystem
          2. rsync a tool to automatically synchronize computers
          3. sfs (which is a secure remote filesystem)
          4. unison a tool to automatically synchronize computers with some
          interaction if something was changed and cannot be solved
          automagically (more or less)

          I use sfs _and_ unison.

          sfs to access my home-computer from anywhere and unison to synchronize
          my laptop to my home computer as a backup.

          5. another option would probably lie in coda, which is an advanced
          networking filesystem with offline support and such and such, but I
          don't know how far the development has gone there and I have never
          tried it.

          --
          Gruß
          thomas

          «< Unless stated otherwise everything I write is just my opinion >»
        • Paul
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2002

            >1. nfs a network-filesystem

            Even though it's Linux, why not use Samba and smbclient?
          • Juergen Mueller
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3, 2002
              Hi Thomas,

              > 5. another option would probably lie in coda, which is an advanced
              > networking filesystem with offline support and such and such, but I
              > don't know how far the development has gone there and I have never
              > tried it.

              Did anyone on this list try this? I wanted to ask this before, since a
              colleague of mine (XP ONLY user) always smiles at me saying that Linux
              doesn't have this "offline folder" support that XP has...

              Any ideas? Solutions??

              Cheers
              Juergen
            • Walt Pennington
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 3, 2002
                Would VNC (Virtual Network Connection) provide a solution? If the home
                desktop is connected, could VNC be used to allow a connection to retrieve the
                files that were unavailable on the desktop?

                Walt

                > Hi
                >
                > I have the following setup at home. I have a desktop computer that is
                > always on and working as a gateway to Internet for my laptop. What I
                > want to do is to have my home directory available both on the laptop
                > and on the desktop. So if I work on something at home and saves it to
                > my home directory i can work on it on my laptop when commuting to
                > work, and when I get to work an realizes that I have left my laptop
                > on the train I can connect to my home desktop and retreive the file.
                > How do I achieve this in a nice way?
              • James D Strandboge
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 3, 2002
                  On Sat, 2002-08-03 at 13:05, Juergen Mueller wrote:
                  > Hi Thomas,
                  >
                  > > 5. another option would probably lie in coda, which is an advanced
                  > > networking filesystem with offline support and such and such, but I
                  > > don't know how far the development has gone there and I have never
                  > > tried it.
                  >
                  > Did anyone on this list try this? I wanted to ask this before, since a
                  > colleague of mine (XP ONLY user) always smiles at me saying that Linux
                  > doesn't have this "offline folder" support that XP has...

                  The problem is a very simple one. Basically when you save something,
                  you want it saved in two places, otherwise called a 'mirror'. The
                  problem with network filesystems like samba and nfs (and the others) is
                  that the files ultimately reside on one computer. You requested that
                  the laptop and desktop always be in sync, no matter which is doing the
                  writing. Some of the other network filesystems have cache's and the
                  like that you can use in offline mode, but you never cache the entire
                  filesystem, just what you have already opened, so these will be
                  limiting.

                  I don't know how XP does this, but Linux most certainly has this
                  functionality-- it is called rsync. You can do this securely with ssh
                  too and it is a great tool. Of course, to make it all transparent, you
                  need to play with it and run it from cron and/or from an init script
                  (either on shutdown or boot).

                  Off the top of my head, I would suggest running rsync as part of the
                  shutdown and startup sequence of the laptop, or whenever the network is
                  coming up or down on your home LAN. This way, whenever you make changes
                  to your laptop, when you shutdown, they are automatically saved to the
                  desktop (laptop is source and desktop is destination). If you make
                  changes on the desktop, they will be merged to the laptop on boot
                  (desktop is source and laptop is destination). Read the man page for
                  rsync-- there are a lot of options. One I can say you will definitely
                  want to use is '-u'. This means that something that is older on the
                  source computer won't overwrite something that is newer on the
                  destination computer.

                  As far as making changes on both at the same time, you may want to bring
                  a network filesystem like (like nfs) into the fold in addition to using
                  rsync, since it is designed to handle files being changed by multiple
                  users concurrently. This would seem to be an odd case for your
                  situation based on the description.

                  This 'offline folder mode' that XP has I doubt would come close to
                  giving you the flexibility that rsync has. Regardless, you can smile
                  back at your buddy and say that Linux most definitely can do this.

                  Jamie Strandboge
                • Thomas Deselaers
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 4, 2002
                    On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 07:05:22PM +0200, Juergen Mueller wrote:
                    > Hi Thomas,
                    >
                    > > 5. another option would probably lie in coda, which is an advanced
                    > > networking filesystem with offline support and such and such, but I
                    > > don't know how far the development has gone there and I have never
                    > > tried it.
                    >
                    > Did anyone on this list try this? I wanted to ask this before, since a
                    > colleague of mine (XP ONLY user) always smiles at me saying that Linux
                    > doesn't have this "offline folder" support that XP has...

                    Yes, the unison thing is the solution to this.
                    I know people on Windows use unison (yes it is available for windows,
                    too), and there are some advances. It is possible to use it over ssh and
                    such and such.

                    --
                    Gruß
                    thomas

                    «< Unless stated otherwise everything I write is just my opinion >»
                  • d99ma
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 5, 2002
                      Thanks for all answers. I will go with rsync as it looks the most
                      promising.

                      /Martin