Networking

  • d99ma
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2002
      Hi

      I have the following setup at home. I have a desktop computer that is
      always on and working as a gateway to Internet for my laptop. What I
      want to do is to have my home directory available both on the laptop
      and on the desktop. So if I work on something at home and saves it to
      my home directory i can work on it on my laptop when commuting to
      work, and when I get to work an realizes that I have left my laptop
      on the train I can connect to my home desktop and retreive the file.
      How do I achieve this in a nice way?
    • Stephen Lau
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2002
        you can put your home dir on your desktop machine, and export it via NFS to
        your laptop. this however would not help you in working on your laptop when
        you are commuting however. it seems that you might want to use a tool like
        'rsync' to synchronise files before shutdown or something.

        cheers,
        steve

        On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 12:32:44PM -0000, d99ma wrote:
        > Hi
        >
        > I have the following setup at home. I have a desktop computer that is
        > always on and working as a gateway to Internet for my laptop. What I
        > want to do is to have my home directory available both on the laptop
        > and on the desktop. So if I work on something at home and saves it to
        > my home directory i can work on it on my laptop when commuting to
        > work, and when I get to work an realizes that I have left my laptop
        > on the train I can connect to my home desktop and retreive the file.
        > How do I achieve this in a nice way?

        stephen lau :: [ldl@...] :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
        http://www.whacked.net/oss/ldl
      • david carlton
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2002
          On Fri, 02 Aug 2002 12:32:44 -0000, "d99ma" <d99ma@...> said:

          > I have the following setup at home. I have a desktop computer that
          > is always on and working as a gateway to Internet for my
          > laptop. What I want to do is to have my home directory available
          > both on the laptop and on the desktop. So if I work on something at
          > home and saves it to my home directory i can work on it on my laptop
          > when commuting to work, and when I get to work an realizes that I
          > have left my laptop on the train I can connect to my home desktop
          > and retreive the file. How do I achieve this in a nice way?

          I'm not sure I understand the scenario: are you getting internet
          access while on the train? If so, cool! (If not, obviously you can't
          expect your desktop to know about files that you've edited on your
          laptop since the last time your laptop was connected to the internet,
          or at least to a phone connection to your desktop somehow.)

          Anyways, the solution that I use, which involves explicitly
          synchronizing the two systems at appropriate times, is rsync; see
          <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/i8200/rsync.html>. If your laptop
          _always_ has a reliable internet connection to your desktop, then you
          could try some other more transparent solution (NFS or AFS or
          something).

          David Carlton | <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/>
          carlton@... | I8200: <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/i8200/>
        • Thomas Deselaers
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2002
            On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 12:32:44PM -0000, d99ma wrote:
            > Hi
            >
            > I have the following setup at home. I have a desktop computer that is
            > always on and working as a gateway to Internet for my laptop. What I
            > want to do is to have my home directory available both on the laptop
            > and on the desktop. So if I work on something at home and saves it to
            > my home directory i can work on it on my laptop when commuting to
            > work, and when I get to work an realizes that I have left my laptop
            > on the train I can connect to my home desktop and retreive the file.
            > How do I achieve this in a nice way?

            OK, there are several possibilities:

            1. nfs a network-filesystem
            2. rsync a tool to automatically synchronize computers
            3. sfs (which is a secure remote filesystem)
            4. unison a tool to automatically synchronize computers with some
            interaction if something was changed and cannot be solved
            automagically (more or less)

            I use sfs _and_ unison.

            sfs to access my home-computer from anywhere and unison to synchronize
            my laptop to my home computer as a backup.

            5. another option would probably lie in coda, which is an advanced
            networking filesystem with offline support and such and such, but I
            don't know how far the development has gone there and I have never
            tried it.

            --
            Gruß
            thomas

            «< Unless stated otherwise everything I write is just my opinion >»
          • Paul
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2002

              >1. nfs a network-filesystem

              Even though it's Linux, why not use Samba and smbclient?
            • Juergen Mueller
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 3, 2002
                Hi Thomas,

                > 5. another option would probably lie in coda, which is an advanced
                > networking filesystem with offline support and such and such, but I
                > don't know how far the development has gone there and I have never
                > tried it.

                Did anyone on this list try this? I wanted to ask this before, since a
                colleague of mine (XP ONLY user) always smiles at me saying that Linux
                doesn't have this "offline folder" support that XP has...

                Any ideas? Solutions??

                Cheers
                Juergen
              • Walt Pennington
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 3, 2002
                  Would VNC (Virtual Network Connection) provide a solution? If the home
                  desktop is connected, could VNC be used to allow a connection to retrieve the
                  files that were unavailable on the desktop?

                  Walt

                  > Hi
                  >
                  > I have the following setup at home. I have a desktop computer that is
                  > always on and working as a gateway to Internet for my laptop. What I
                  > want to do is to have my home directory available both on the laptop
                  > and on the desktop. So if I work on something at home and saves it to
                  > my home directory i can work on it on my laptop when commuting to
                  > work, and when I get to work an realizes that I have left my laptop
                  > on the train I can connect to my home desktop and retreive the file.
                  > How do I achieve this in a nice way?
                • James D Strandboge
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 3, 2002
                    On Sat, 2002-08-03 at 13:05, Juergen Mueller wrote:
                    > Hi Thomas,
                    >
                    > > 5. another option would probably lie in coda, which is an advanced
                    > > networking filesystem with offline support and such and such, but I
                    > > don't know how far the development has gone there and I have never
                    > > tried it.
                    >
                    > Did anyone on this list try this? I wanted to ask this before, since a
                    > colleague of mine (XP ONLY user) always smiles at me saying that Linux
                    > doesn't have this "offline folder" support that XP has...

                    The problem is a very simple one. Basically when you save something,
                    you want it saved in two places, otherwise called a 'mirror'. The
                    problem with network filesystems like samba and nfs (and the others) is
                    that the files ultimately reside on one computer. You requested that
                    the laptop and desktop always be in sync, no matter which is doing the
                    writing. Some of the other network filesystems have cache's and the
                    like that you can use in offline mode, but you never cache the entire
                    filesystem, just what you have already opened, so these will be
                    limiting.

                    I don't know how XP does this, but Linux most certainly has this
                    functionality-- it is called rsync. You can do this securely with ssh
                    too and it is a great tool. Of course, to make it all transparent, you
                    need to play with it and run it from cron and/or from an init script
                    (either on shutdown or boot).

                    Off the top of my head, I would suggest running rsync as part of the
                    shutdown and startup sequence of the laptop, or whenever the network is
                    coming up or down on your home LAN. This way, whenever you make changes
                    to your laptop, when you shutdown, they are automatically saved to the
                    desktop (laptop is source and desktop is destination). If you make
                    changes on the desktop, they will be merged to the laptop on boot
                    (desktop is source and laptop is destination). Read the man page for
                    rsync-- there are a lot of options. One I can say you will definitely
                    want to use is '-u'. This means that something that is older on the
                    source computer won't overwrite something that is newer on the
                    destination computer.

                    As far as making changes on both at the same time, you may want to bring
                    a network filesystem like (like nfs) into the fold in addition to using
                    rsync, since it is designed to handle files being changed by multiple
                    users concurrently. This would seem to be an odd case for your
                    situation based on the description.

                    This 'offline folder mode' that XP has I doubt would come close to
                    giving you the flexibility that rsync has. Regardless, you can smile
                    back at your buddy and say that Linux most definitely can do this.

                    Jamie Strandboge
                  • Thomas Deselaers
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 4, 2002
                      On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 07:05:22PM +0200, Juergen Mueller wrote:
                      > Hi Thomas,
                      >
                      > > 5. another option would probably lie in coda, which is an advanced
                      > > networking filesystem with offline support and such and such, but I
                      > > don't know how far the development has gone there and I have never
                      > > tried it.
                      >
                      > Did anyone on this list try this? I wanted to ask this before, since a
                      > colleague of mine (XP ONLY user) always smiles at me saying that Linux
                      > doesn't have this "offline folder" support that XP has...

                      Yes, the unison thing is the solution to this.
                      I know people on Windows use unison (yes it is available for windows,
                      too), and there are some advances. It is possible to use it over ssh and
                      such and such.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 5, 2002
                        Thanks for all answers. I will go with rsync as it looks the most
                        promising.

                        /Martin