Re: [linux-dell-laptops] I8K memory

  • david carlton
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2 9:17 AM
      On Fri, 2 Aug 2002 09:06:55 -0300 (ADT), Jim Diamond <jdiamond@...> said:

      > I get the impression that you haven't been a member of this list for
      > a long time...

      No, just a couple of months. (And I read through the archive for
      maybe the two months before that before joining the list.)

      > the Crucial memory was discussed 8 or 10 (?) months ago, and the
      > general concensus at the time was that its current draw was far
      > higher than other brands and caused problems with some people's
      > Inspirons.

      Interesting. Mine has worked flawlessly; I just searched the
      archives, though, and it's possible I'll run into problems, since I
      haven't yet tried to run any high-powered games on it. (I'm still
      waiting for my software to arrive that I should have gotten soon after
      I ordered the computer; it might be on its way now, though. At least
      I got rid of some of my annoyance by venting at Dell/redeem-it.com at
      <http://math.stanford.edu/i8200/timeo.html>.)

      With luck, maybe it will work for me. The 8200 has different memory
      than earlier models; maybe Micron manufactures that with a lower draw
      (or Dell manufactures their machines to be able to handle the higher
      draw). Or maybe, given that I'll have the laptop plugged in, the
      powermizer stuff won't kick in. Or maybe I can turn it off
      explicitly, or maybe the current video drivers handle this better.
      We'll see...

      David Carlton | <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/>
      carlton@... | Go books: <http://www.gobooks.info/>

      ..Everything is....FLIPPING AROUND!!