Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: LILO/GRUB in MBR or /boot - pros and cons?

  • Rick Green
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2002
      On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, epark wrote:

      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "D. D. Brierton" <darren@d...> wrote:
      > > Do I actually need to use the Win XP boot loader like this whether
      > > I use GRUB or LILO? Emil replied earlier that he has dual boot
      > > working just fine with LILO in the MBR. I thought that the Win XP
      > > boot loader was only if you needed to use multiple version of
      > > Windows?
      >
      > LILO? GRUB? To put on the MBR or not on the MBR? All these options
      > are viable : )

      There is one other consideration: on my Latitude CPi, the 'suspend to
      disk' function depends upon a MBR which looks at the 'active' flag in the
      partition table, and chains to the loader in the first sector of that
      partition. To my knowledge, neither Lilo or grub pay any attention to the
      'active partition' flag, so if you wish to implement s2d, you must use a
      MBR such as the old DOS loader which supports this algorithm.

      Rick Green
    • epark
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2002
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Rick Green <rtg@a...> wrote:
        > 'active partition' flag, so if you wish to implement s2d, you must
        > use a MBR such as the old DOS loader which supports this algorithm.

        Hi Rick,

        Do you know whether NTLDR supports that 'active partition' flag? I'd
        assume yes, otherwise s2d wouldn't work under WinNT/2K/XP, right?

        Cheers,
        Ed
        Linux Guide: http://geocities.com/epark/linux
      • Stephen Lau
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2, 2002
          winnt/2k/xp uses its own suspend to disk/hibernate file scheme...it doesn't use
          a separate partition system the way linux does. it hibernates to a file on the
          windows filesystem.

          -steve

          --
          stephen lau :: [ldl@...] :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21