(Slightly OT) setting dial tone time out on v.90 modem

  • Peter Møller Neergaard
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2002
      Thanks to the advise from Scott, I finally got the internal modem on
      my I4100 to work with the hsf drivers.

      However, I have one problem I need to work around before it works
      flawlessly: It takes my phone company too long for the standard
      settings to give me a dial tone: If I just let the computer try to do
      a dial up, I (in most cases) get a ``NO DIALTONE'' error. If I
      instead lift the handset I have in parallel with the computer's line,
      wait for the dial tone, and then ask the computer to dial up, it
      connects.

      I browsed to the documentation of the v.90 codes, but I have not been
      able to find the right code. So does anybody knows how I ask for a
      longer delay before the modem times out saying ``NO DIALTONE''.

      Thanks

      Peter
      --
      http://www.linearity.org/turtle/contact.html
      ``When you have had all the experiences, met all the famous people,
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2002

        >I browsed to the documentation of the v.90 codes, but I have not been
        >able to find the right code. So does anybody knows how I ask for a
        >longer delay before the modem times out saying ``NO DIALTONE''.

        It might be S7=[time in milliseconds].

        BTW, for speed dialing I always use s11=50. 50 milliseconds is the
        shortest amount of time that each tone will be played. You could type
        s11=0, but it will only drop to 50 milliseconds anyway.
      • Peter Møller Neergaard
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5, 2002
          Paul wrote:

          P>It might be S7=[time in milliseconds].

          Unfortunately, that does not seem to help.

          I use the following command to initialize the modem

          ATZ W2 S6=10 S7=4500 S11=50 S0=0 V1 X4 &c1 E1 Q0

          So it would seem that I have extended the delay.

          /Peter
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5, 2002
            Did you try disabling "wait for dial tone"? Another way to create a
            delay is to put a comma in the dial string.