x problem after suspend

  • jubeiyagu17
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002
      for some reason if my laptop goes into suspend and then comes out,
      the everything on the screen is kinda cut in half and then flipped,
      so the bottom half is on the top and the top half is on the bottom.
      also after the screen flips all of the "buttons" have remained in
      place which just makes shutting down the x server that much harder

      well thats my current problem, if anyone has had this problem or
      knows the solution to it please email me

      thanks,
      jon
    • James D Strandboge
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002
        On Thu, 2002-08-01 at 14:39, jubeiyagu17 wrote:
        > for some reason if my laptop goes into suspend and then comes out,
        > the everything on the screen is kinda cut in half and then flipped,
        > so the bottom half is on the top and the top half is on the bottom.
        > also after the screen flips all of the "buttons" have remained in
        > place which just makes shutting down the x server that much harder
        >
        > well thats my current problem, if anyone has had this problem or
        > knows the solution to it please email me

        I have had this problem, but not just coming out of suspend. It was
        just trying to get into and out of the setup screens (eg Fn+F1). Wish I
        had the solution, but I only recently started having this problem.

        It seems crazy, but I think it might be related to the dvd/cdrw-- it
        doesn't seem to happen unless there is a disk in the drive. Mind you,
        this is just a hypothesis, and is in no way intended to be the
        definitive cause or explanation.

        Jamie Strandboge
      • jamesots
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2002
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "jubeiyagu17" <jubeiyagu17@y...>
          wrote:
          > for some reason if my laptop goes into suspend and then comes out,
          > the everything on the screen is kinda cut in half and then
          flipped,
          > so the bottom half is on the top and the top half is on the
          bottom.
          > also after the screen flips all of the "buttons" have remained in
          > place which just makes shutting down the x server that much harder
          >
          > well thats my current problem, if anyone has had this problem or
          > knows the solution to it please email me

          I used to get that problem, but I haven't for a while. I don't know
          what I've done to change it though!

          What version of the graphics drivers do you have? (And which
          graphics card?) I have 1.0-2960 installed - but I had to hack the
          kernel driver so that it would allow the laptop to suspend.

          --
          Cheers
          James Ots
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2002
            On Fri, 2002-08-02 at 07:06, jamesots wrote:
            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "jubeiyagu17" <jubeiyagu17@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > for some reason if my laptop goes into suspend and then comes out,
            > > the everything on the screen is kinda cut in half and then
            > flipped,
            > > so the bottom half is on the top and the top half is on the
            > bottom.
            > > also after the screen flips all of the "buttons" have remained in
            > > place which just makes shutting down the x server that much harder
            > >
            > > well thats my current problem, if anyone has had this problem or
            > > knows the solution to it please email me
            >
            > I used to get that problem, but I haven't for a while. I don't know
            > what I've done to change it though!
            >
            > What version of the graphics drivers do you have? (And which
            > graphics card?) I have 1.0-2960 installed - but I had to hack the
            > kernel driver so that it would allow the laptop to suspend.

            I figured I'd respond to this too since I have the same problem. I have
            the latest drivers with the kernel hack to suspend. I have the original
            BIOS though.

            Jamie Strandboge
          • l1nuxn1nja
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 24, 2002
              --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., James D Strandboge <jstrand1@r...> wrote:

              > I figured I'd respond to this too since I have the same problem. I have
              > the latest drivers with the kernel hack to suspend. I have the
              original BIOS though.

              What kernel hack did you have to do to get suspend working for you?
              And what laptop do you have (and what distro?)

              Thanks!