Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: hiccups/pauses on 8100

  • James D Strandboge
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 30, 2002
      On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 18:11, scottseagroves wrote:

      > The original poster noted these pauses in other, non-DVD
      > video-intensive activities. I don't have any experience with that,
      > but I have enabled DMA on my DVD drive. Yet the DVD playback is still
      > a little bit more choppy than in WinXP (ugh). So what's the secret?
      > Is there an acceleration option somewhere for the NVIDIA drivers
      > that's crucial to getting this to work well? Any ideas other than DMA?
      >
      > Of course some of it is in the software --- with identical setups I
      > found xine to be less choppy than ogle, which is a shame because I
      > like ogle's navigation through the DVD chapters to be much better.
      >
      > So what's the secret to perfect DVD viewing? This remains the one
      > thing I have a WinXP partition for ... :)

      I have an i8200 that had these same symptoms. I enabled dma, shutdown
      all kinds of daemons, tried a ton of different things and couldn't get
      the choppiness out. I was using mplayer that I home compiled and I
      didn't have any dropped frames. I installed xine from debian unstable,
      and finally the video is not choppy anymore. Before, I tried xine from
      woody, but it was choppy. Here are the relevant packages:

      libxine0 0.9.12-2
      xine-ui 0.9.12-1
      xine-dvdnav 0.9.10-2
      libdvdnav0 0.1.1-1
      libdvdread2 0.9.3-1

      The above packages do not provide dvd decryption.

      All of the above are not hand compiled, but instead from debian unstable
      and they appear to work well. Take this with a small grain of salt
      however because I have been unable to test the same dvd's that were
      choppy before-- but the one's I have tested since installing xine have
      not been choppy.

      I have a 1.6Ghz, i8200 with nvidia geforce2 go 32mb using xfree86 4.1.0
      and nvidia drivers without agp and with the apm patches.

      Hope this helps.

      Jamie

      --
      Email: jstrand1@...