I8K memory

  • Jim Diamond
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2002

      I wanted to add 256MB memory to my I8K, and the only thing I can find
      locally (at a reasonable price) is Azen. Has anyone used this brand in an
      I8K? Any success?

      Thanks.

      Jim

      --
      Jim Diamond (zsd@...)
    • david carlton
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 30, 2002
        On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:01:25 -0300 (ADT), Jim Diamond <jdiamond@...> said:

        > I wanted to add 256MB memory to my I8K, and the only thing I can find
        > locally (at a reasonable price) is Azen. Has anyone used this brand in an
        > I8K? Any success?

        I can't answer your question, but for what it's worth, I had a good
        experience with <http://www.crucial.com/>. They make it very easy to
        find the right kind of memory for your model of computer, I'm under
        the impression that their memory comes from reputable vendors, the
        price seems right (it's certainly cheaper than Dell's prices...), and
        the memory arrived quickly.

        David Carlton | <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/>
        carlton@... | I8200: <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/i8200/>
      • Jim Diamond
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2002
          On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 at 09:06 (-0700), david carlton wrote:

          > On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:01:25 -0300 (ADT), Jim Diamond <jdiamond@...> said:
          >
          > > I wanted to add 256MB memory to my I8K, and the only thing I can find
          > > locally (at a reasonable price) is Azen. Has anyone used this brand in an
          > > I8K? Any success?
          >
          > I can't answer your question, but for what it's worth, I had a good
          > experience with <http://www.crucial.com/>. They make it very easy to
          > find the right kind of memory for your model of computer, I'm under
          > the impression that their memory comes from reputable vendors, the
          > price seems right (it's certainly cheaper than Dell's prices...), and
          > the memory arrived quickly.

          David,

          thanks for the reply. I get the impression that you haven't been a member
          of this list for a long time... the Crucial memory was discussed 8 or 10
          (?) months ago, and the general concensus at the time was that its current
          draw was far higher than other brands and caused problems with some
          people's Inspirons.

          The other problem is that I'm in Canada, and ordering one chip from a U.S.
          mail order place is an expensive proposition, there are some fees that get
          tacked on (for customs inspection?) that make the price uninteresting.

          Anyone out there with Azen memory that didn't feel like answering first
          time around??

          Cheers.

          Jim
        • david carlton
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2002
            On Fri, 2 Aug 2002 09:06:55 -0300 (ADT), Jim Diamond <jdiamond@...> said:

            > I get the impression that you haven't been a member of this list for
            > a long time...

            No, just a couple of months. (And I read through the archive for
            maybe the two months before that before joining the list.)

            > the Crucial memory was discussed 8 or 10 (?) months ago, and the
            > general concensus at the time was that its current draw was far
            > higher than other brands and caused problems with some people's
            > Inspirons.

            Interesting. Mine has worked flawlessly; I just searched the
            archives, though, and it's possible I'll run into problems, since I
            haven't yet tried to run any high-powered games on it. (I'm still
            waiting for my software to arrive that I should have gotten soon after
            I ordered the computer; it might be on its way now, though. At least
            I got rid of some of my annoyance by venting at Dell/redeem-it.com at
            <http://math.stanford.edu/i8200/timeo.html>.)

            With luck, maybe it will work for me. The 8200 has different memory
            than earlier models; maybe Micron manufactures that with a lower draw
            (or Dell manufactures their machines to be able to handle the higher
            draw). Or maybe, given that I'll have the laptop plugged in, the
            powermizer stuff won't kick in. Or maybe I can turn it off
            explicitly, or maybe the current video drivers handle this better.
            We'll see...

            David Carlton | <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/>
            carlton@... | Go books: <http://www.gobooks.info/>

            ..Everything is....FLIPPING AROUND!!