I8200 LILO Problems

  • reedsr81
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 29 8:16 AM
      So I have dual boot set up, I installed Linux, then I try to boot it
      and i get LIL- which means something isn't right with the boot
      loader. The /boot is under the 1024 cyl and I had it working the
      other dya but had to reinstall. any ideas or suggestions as to how
      this could be fixed?

      Regards,
      Steve
    • david carlton
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 29 10:09 AM
        On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 15:16:22 -0000, "reedsr81" <soccercapn12@...> said:

        > So I have dual boot set up, I installed Linux, then I try to boot it
        > and i get LIL- which means something isn't right with the boot
        > loader. The /boot is under the 1024 cyl and I had it working the
        > other dya but had to reinstall. any ideas or suggestions as to how
        > this could be fixed?

        What did you do when you reinstalled? How recently have you run
        /sbin/lilo? My first suggestion is to boot from a rescue floppy and
        do that.

        You can find the meaning of LIL- at
        <http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/a1483.html>, for what that's
        worth.

        David Carlton | <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/>
        carlton@... | I8200: <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/i8200/>
      • reedsr81
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 29 10:33 AM
          OK, i reinstalled because the last install hung while initializing X
          and I had it running previously. I made boot floppy, and I set
          things up like I did several times before and it worked before. This
          time, I installed and All I get when i select Linux form my
          bootloader is LIL-
          The first thing I tried was running sbin/lilo and I get errors when I
          ran it, Exceeding maximum of 1024 the original reason I set my
          partitions up the way they are.

          LIL- is associated with corrupted boot partition or mismatched
          geometry, which makes me wonder if LILO was installed wrong during
          the installation of redhat. The last time I installed I made sure to
          clear all the partitions and recreate them, wondering if that is by
          chance the cause.

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., david carlton <carlton@m...> wrote:
          > On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 15:16:22 -0000, "reedsr81" <soccercapn12@h...>
          said:

          > > So I have dual boot set up, I installed Linux, then I try to boot
          it
          > > and i get LIL- which means something isn't right with the boot
          > > loader. The /boot is under the 1024 cyl and I had it working the
          > > other dya but had to reinstall. any ideas or suggestions as to
          how
          > > this could be fixed?
          >
          > What did you do when you reinstalled? How recently have you run
          > /sbin/lilo? My first suggestion is to boot from a rescue floppy and
          > do that.
          >
          > You can find the meaning of LIL- at
          > <http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/a1483.html>, for what
          that's
          > worth.
          >
          > David Carlton | <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/>
          > carlton@m... | I8200: <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/i8200/>
        • david carlton
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 29 3:10 PM
            On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 17:33:58 -0000, "reedsr81" <soccercapn12@...> said:

            > OK, i reinstalled because the last install hung while initializing X
            > and I had it running previously. I made boot floppy, and I set
            > things up like I did several times before and it worked before.

            That's pretty mysterious. For what it's worth, when first installing
            operating systems on my I8200, I had issues where Windows XP and Linux
            disagreed about exactly what the partition table should look like; are
            you running another operating system on yours, or just Linux?

            What's in /etc/lilo.conf, /etc/fstab, and /proc/partitions on your
            machine?

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 29 6:41 PM
              > That's pretty mysterious. For what it's worth, when first
              installing
              > operating systems on my I8200, I had issues where Windows XP and
              Linux
              > disagreed about exactly what the partition table should look like;
              are
              > you running another operating system on yours, or just Linux?

              Running XP on first partition and Linux boot is second, followed by
              root, swap then a shared FAT32 drive

              It appears the fat32 drive was the problem, Linux was trying to find
              a boot image on that drive i share between liunux and windows and
              that is why i got the LIL- message inplying that there are no boot
              images on the FAT32 part.

              Thanks For your help

              Steve

              > What's in /etc/lilo.conf, /etc/fstab, and /proc/partitions on your
              > machine?
              >
              > David Carlton | <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/>
              > carlton@m... | I8200: <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/i8200/>
            • WANG Xuewen
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 30 1:00 AM
                reedsr81 wrote:

                >OK, i reinstalled because the last install hung while initializing X
                >and I had it running previously. I made boot floppy, and I set
                >things up like I did several times before and it worked before. This
                >time, I installed and All I get when i select Linux form my
                >bootloader is LIL-
                >The first thing I tried was running sbin/lilo and I get errors when I
                >ran it, Exceeding maximum of 1024 the original reason I set my
                >partitions up the way they are.
                >
                >LIL- is associated with corrupted boot partition or mismatched
                >geometry, which makes me wonder if LILO was installed wrong during
                >the installation of redhat. The last time I installed I made sure to
                >clear all the partitions and recreate them, wondering if that is by
                >chance the cause.
                >
                >--- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., david carlton <carlton@m...> wrote:
                >

                >>On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 15:16:22 -0000, "reedsr81" <soccercapn12@h...>
                >>

                >said:
                >

                >>>So I have dual boot set up, I installed Linux, then I try to boot
                >>>

                >it
                >

                >>>and i get LIL- which means something isn't right with the boot
                >>>loader. The /boot is under the 1024 cyl and I had it working the
                >>>other dya but had to reinstall. any ideas or suggestions as to
                >>>

                >how
                >

                >>>this could be fixed?
                >>>

                >>What did you do when you reinstalled? How recently have you run
                >>/sbin/lilo? My first suggestion is to boot from a rescue floppy and
                >>do that.
                >>
                >>You can find the meaning of LIL- at
                >><http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/a1483.html>, for what
                >>

                >that's
                >

                >>worth.
                >>
                >>David Carlton | <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/>
                >>carlton@m... | I8200: <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/i8200/>

                I think you should add lba32 somewhere before the image line to your
                lilo.conf file and rerun lilo -v.