Cable Modem

  • Nick Wilson
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 14, 2000
      Does nayone know how to set up a cable modem on a 5000e, I tried DHCP which
      doesnt work, im also attemtping at the moment to manually type in the ip but
      that doesnt seem to work either.
    • Joe Emenaker
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 15, 2000
        > Does nayone know how to set up a cable modem on a 5000e, I tried DHCP
        which
        > doesnt work, im also attemtping at the moment to manually type in the
        ip but
        > that doesnt seem to work either.

        Well, my cable-modem provider tells their cable-modems to "marry" the
        first network card they see and then that's that. If you try a different
        network card, you get no IP from the DHCP. Even if you hand-enter the IP
        that you *would* have been given... it still doesn't work.

        Are you sure that your provider isn't like this?

        - joe
      • Marc Fellman
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 15, 2000
          Aanhalen Joe Emenaker <joe@...>:

          > > Does nayone know how to set up a cable modem on a 5000e, I tried DHCP
          > which
          > > doesnt work, im also attemtping at the moment to manually type in the
          > ip but
          > > that doesnt seem to work either.
          >
          > Well, my cable-modem provider tells their cable-modems to "marry" the
          > first network card they see and then that's that. If you try a different
          > network card, you get no IP from the DHCP. Even if you hand-enter the IP
          > that you *would* have been given... it still doesn't work.
          >
          > Are you sure that your provider isn't like this?
          >
          > - joe

          Some network cards accept changing the HW-address of the network card. Maybe you
          should try something like this. I don't know how anymore but I thought by
          ifconfig.

          M.Vr.Gr.

          Marc Fellman

          Dit bericht werd verzonden met behulp van IMP: fellsoft.homeip.net
        • ron@sunflower.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 15, 2000
            Usually it is dependent upon the system - but typically, most broadband
            systems utilize the DOCSIS standard Cable Modem, which by in large - has two
            forms of modems, internal and external. External usually connects via an
            ethernet card in the computer. If your ethernet card is set up ( I use the
            Xircom combo card from Dell, and it works great.) If you are using the RedHat
            6.0 or better., you should be able todo the following:
            /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 should contain the following
            DEVICE="eth0"
            BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
            ONBOOT="yes"

            next - start/restart pcmcia
            /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia restart

            then - start/restart the network
            /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart

            Note: You should not be loading drivers for your ethernet card - that it is
            what pcmcia s doing for you. You should be able to use ifconfig and route -n
            to verify the ip given to you ( this all providing that you are using DHCP -
            if your IP is static - you will need to make sure that /etc/sysconfig/network,
            /etc/resolv.conf are set appropriately (see man page or cheat using netconf.
            (Also - you should check the net - I know Cox cable has a modem page for linux
            as well as do other Broadband ISP's.
            Good Luck. 8)

            Marc Fellman <m.fellman@...> said:

            > Aanhalen Joe Emenaker <joe@...>:
            >
            > > > Does nayone know how to set up a cable modem on a 5000e, I tried DHCP
            > > which
            > > > doesnt work, im also attemtping at the moment to manually type in the
            > > ip but
            > > > that doesnt seem to work either.

            <snip>

            --
            Anything and everything is exactly the same,
            Varying only in intensity and degree.
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 19, 2000
              For some reason when I am hooked directly into a cable modem, i cannot
              recive an IP, it says the server took to long to respond and then says it
              didnt recieve the ip, yet when i hook it up to a hub thats being controlled
              by a server using dhcp i get an ip no problem, anybody having similar
              problems with cable??
            • Marc Fellman
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 19, 2000
                Aanhalen Nick Wilson <NWilson_711@...>:

                > For some reason when I am hooked directly into a cable modem, i cannot
                > recive an IP, it says the server took to long to respond and then says
                > it
                > didnt recieve the ip, yet when i hook it up to a hub thats being
                > controlled
                > by a server using dhcp i get an ip no problem, anybody having similar
                > problems with cable??

                That copuld be because of an earlier message on the list that discribes that the
                ISP only allow NIC's with specified HardWare addresses. If the normal PC is
                working then that could be the problem for your connection. Maybe you could
                contact the ISP and tell them that you sometimes wan't to use a Laptop instead
                of a normal (desktop) PC.

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 19, 2000
                  No im dual booting, Same laptop, same nic, works in windows.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 20, 2000
                    > Aanhalen Nick Wilson <NWilson_711@...>:
                    >
                    > > For some reason when I am hooked directly into a cable modem, i cannot
                    > > recive an IP, it says the server took to long to respond and then says
                    > > it
                    > > didnt recieve the ip, yet when i hook it up to a hub thats being
                    > > controlled
                    > > by a server using dhcp i get an ip no problem, anybody having similar
                    > > problems with cable??
                    >
                    > That copuld be because of an earlier message on the list that discribes
                    that the
                    > ISP only allow NIC's with specified HardWare addresses. If the normal PC
                    is
                    > working then that could be the problem for your connection. Maybe you
                    could
                    > contact the ISP and tell them that you sometimes wan't to use a Laptop
                    instead
                    > of a normal (desktop) PC.
                    Uhmm... curiosity - <snip>"hub being controlled by a server"</snip> - how is
                    this done? Another thing - dhcp is dhcp is dhcp.... **it happens.
                    Now - my suggestion - clal your isp and inquire how ip addresses are assigned.
                    Several factors - are you running a DOCSIS compliant cable modem - If so then
                    the UBR is able to track those MAC- addresses that recieve an ip and it will
                    store that data for a certain amount of time - now it is possible that they
                    can black a cable modems mac address to only have a certain number of ip's
                    behind it. That is up to them. They can also set up their DHCP server to
                    address only by Mac adddress - but consider the headache of keeping up with
                    mac addresses for 1200 or so subscribers - whew, what a nightmare. .. and blah
                    blah blah.
                    I now digress - there are several reasons as to why things just aren't quite
                    working - if I were a tech having to find out the problem - I would check a
                    few things. First the obvious - Are we using the proper cabling - i.e. a
                    straight through cat5 from ethernet to 10BaseT port on the cable modem - as
                    opposed to a x-over cable.
                    Next - how does "my" isp control/allocate ip's. If I take an ip that I know
                    is good and not in use (i.e. the dhcp server just assigned when I was running
                    my system thru my "server controlled hub") Does it work when connected
                    directly to the modem. And on and on.
                    There are several reason as to why and many ways to troubleshoot and fix the
                    problem you are having - it could even be as odd as the NIC card is just
                    fscked and needs to be replaced. Play with it somewhere - and call your ISP -
                    that's what they are for - not necessarily to know your OS but they should at
                    least know their own.
                    Good luck.

                    --
                    Anything and everything is exactly the same,
                    Varying only in intensity and degree.
                  • Drew Farris
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 20, 2000
                      It sounds like you could be using a 'crossover' cable to connect the
                      modem to the hub instead of using a standard ethernet cable. When the
                      installer came to install the modem, did you tell him that you were
                      hooking it up to a hub? If so, he or she might have given you a
                      crossover cable instead of a standard cable.

                      A couple things you can do to figure this out. Instead of detaching the
                      cable that connects the cable modem to the hub and switching it to your
                      laptop (so the modem and laptop are connected), detach the cable that
                      connects your laptop to the hub and connect it to the modem (so the
                      laptop and modem are connected with the cable you were using to connect
                      the laptop to the hub).

                      Drew.