problem playing sound

  • karim_jafarmadar
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 26, 2002
      hello

      the problem is:
      i cannot play mp3's with 22050Hz

      i am using debian unstable with kernel 2.4.18 (i810_audio as a module)
      on an inspiron4100

      mpg123 says No supported rate found and xmms plays the file in double
      speed
      even when i convert the file into a wav file (e.g. with winamp) xmms
      won't play the wav file correct [but i can play the wav file with play]

      this all looks very confusing to me, and i have no idea where the
      problem could be

      any ideas?

      tia
      karim
    • Ansgar Hellwig
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 29, 2002
        karim_jafarmadar wrote on Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 05:22:56PM -0000:
        > hello
        >
        > the problem is:
        > i cannot play mp3's with 22050Hz
        >
        > i am using debian unstable with kernel 2.4.18 (i810_audio as a module)
        > on an inspiron4100
        >
        > mpg123 says No supported rate found and xmms plays the file in double
        > speed
        > even when i convert the file into a wav file (e.g. with winamp) xmms
        > won't play the wav file correct [but i can play the wav file with play]
        >
        > this all looks very confusing to me, and i have no idea where the
        > problem could be
        >
        > any ideas?

        I have experienced the same problem with my i2500. The sound hardware and
        the "i810_audio" kernel driver are only capable of a sampling rate of
        48000 Hz. Some applications refuse to work properly with that module.
        Therefore, I'm using the ALSA driver, which works well.

        Ansgar Hellwig
      • James D Strandboge
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 29, 2002
          On Mon, 2002-07-29 at 07:55, Ansgar Hellwig wrote:
          > karim_jafarmadar wrote on Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 05:22:56PM -0000:
          > > hello
          > >
          > > the problem is:
          > > i cannot play mp3's with 22050Hz
          > >
          > > i am using debian unstable with kernel 2.4.18 (i810_audio as a module)
          > > on an inspiron4100
          > >
          > > mpg123 says No supported rate found and xmms plays the file in double
          > > speed
          > > even when i convert the file into a wav file (e.g. with winamp) xmms
          > > won't play the wav file correct [but i can play the wav file with play]
          > >
          > > this all looks very confusing to me, and i have no idea where the
          > > problem could be
          > >
          > > any ideas?
          >
          > I have experienced the same problem with my i2500. The sound hardware and
          > the "i810_audio" kernel driver are only capable of a sampling rate of
          > 48000 Hz. Some applications refuse to work properly with that module.
          > Therefore, I'm using the ALSA driver, which works well.

          On an i8200, I have no complaints using the i810_audio, but my wife's
          i4100 has the problems mentioned.

          I have used ALSA on other hardware, but always found that the click that
          often sounds at the beginning of playing wav files is too annoying.
          Does anyone else have these clicks? What version of ALSA works best?

          Jamie Strandboge
        • Thomas Deselaers
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 29, 2002
            On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 10:29:23AM -0400, James D Strandboge wrote:
            > On Mon, 2002-07-29 at 07:55, Ansgar Hellwig wrote:
            > > karim_jafarmadar wrote on Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 05:22:56PM -0000:
            > > > hello
            > > >
            > > > the problem is:
            > > > i cannot play mp3's with 22050Hz
            > > >
            > > > i am using debian unstable with kernel 2.4.18 (i810_audio as a module)
            > > > on an inspiron4100
            > > >
            > > > mpg123 says No supported rate found and xmms plays the file in double
            > > > speed
            > > > even when i convert the file into a wav file (e.g. with winamp) xmms
            > > > won't play the wav file correct [but i can play the wav file with play]
            > > >
            > > > this all looks very confusing to me, and i have no idea where the
            > > > problem could be
            > > >
            > > > any ideas?
            > >
            > > I have experienced the same problem with my i2500. The sound hardware and
            > > the "i810_audio" kernel driver are only capable of a sampling rate of
            > > 48000 Hz. Some applications refuse to work properly with that module.
            > > Therefore, I'm using the ALSA driver, which works well.
            > >

            > On an i8200, I have no complaints using the i810_audio, but my wife's
            > i4100 has the problems mentioned.
            >
            > I have used ALSA on other hardware, but always found that the click that
            > often sounds at the beginning of playing wav files is too annoying.
            > Does anyone else have these clicks? What version of ALSA works best?

            I have these clicks on my i8200, too. And I am using alsa, because the
            i810_audio drivers are not capable of internet-telephony-applications
            like gphone (which works with alsa), rat (which does not work with alsa)
            and gnomemeeting (which I have not really tested but seems to work too
            with alsa).

            Anyone a hint how to de-click the drivers?

            --
            Gruß
            thomas

            «< Unless stated otherwise everything I write is just my opinion >»
          • karim_jafarmadar
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002
              --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Thomas Deselaers <thomas@d...> wrote:
              > On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 10:29:23AM -0400, James D Strandboge wrote:

              > > > I have experienced the same problem with my i2500. The sound
              hardware and
              > > > the "i810_audio" kernel driver are only capable of a sampling
              rate of
              > > > 48000 Hz. Some applications refuse to work properly with that
              module.
              > > > Therefore, I'm using the ALSA driver, which works well.
              > > >

              > > On an i8200, I have no complaints using the i810_audio, but my wife's
              > > i4100 has the problems mentioned.
              > >
              > > I have used ALSA on other hardware, but always found that the
              click that
              > > often sounds at the beginning of playing wav files is too annoying.
              > > Does anyone else have these clicks? What version of ALSA works best?
              >

              > I have these clicks on my i8200, too. And I am using alsa, because the
              > i810_audio drivers are not capable of internet-telephony-applications
              > like gphone (which works with alsa), rat (which does not work with alsa)
              > and gnomemeeting (which I have not really tested but seems to work too
              > with alsa).
              >
              > Anyone a hint how to de-click the drivers?
              >

              > --
              > Gruß
              > thomas

              > «< Unless stated otherwise everything I write is just my opinion >»

              thanks for the help
              with ALSA i can play all the files

              but, i have same experience with the "click" at the beginnig of
              playing a file.. ;(

              is anyone just living with it .. or is there a solution?

              bye, karim