S2D Info

  • questforme
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 24, 2002
      I'm thinking about implementing s2d on my Inspiron I8200 but my hard
      already has 4 primary partitions:

      1st Partition: Windows XP
      2nd Partition: Linux boot partition
      3rd Partition: Linux swap partition
      4th Partition: Linux root partition

      Since you can have only 4 primary partitions per Hard Drive will the
      s2d utility mess up my system even if that partition is hidden?

      Thanks,
      Kent
    • Tener, Stuart B., IT3 , USNR-R
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 25, 2002
        Kent:

        Yes, you get four (4) primary partitions. However, Linux can
        have boot and root partitions that are part of an extended partition,
        and I think also swap can be extended as well.

        My computer has no swap partition (I use a swap file when
        needed) such that I have XP in a primary partition, and Linux in an
        extended partition. I have 512MB of ram, and rarely does Linux even use
        swap when I am running the X-Windows even! I am running RH 7.3 though.

        I also understand that in the 2.6 kernel, there is going to be
        utility within the kernel to allow you to hibernate to a file the way
        Windows XP can hibernate.

        Good luck!

        Very Respectfully,

        Stuart Blake Tener, IT3 (E-4), USNR-R, N3GWG
        Beverly Hills, California
        VTU 1904G (Volunteer Training Unit)
        stuart@...
        west coast: (310)-358-0202 P.O. Box 16043, Beverly Hills, CA 90209-2043
        east coast: (215)-338-6005 P.O. Box 45859, Philadelphia, PA 19149-5859

        Telecopier: (419)-715-6073 fax to email gateway via www.efax.com (it's
        free!)

        JOIN THE US NAVY RESERVE, SERVE YOUR COUNTRY, AND BENEFIT FROM IT ALL.

        Thursday, July 25, 2002 1:13 AM

        Message: 18

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 25, 2002
          I don't know about hidden partitions, but you could take your swap
          partition and change it into a s2d partition and make a swap FILE under
          the root partition.

          >Since you can have only 4 primary partitions per Hard Drive will the
          >s2d utility mess up my system even if that partition is hidden?

        • Stephen Lau
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 25, 2002
            why not do:

            hda1: s2d partition
            hda2: winXP partition
            hda3: swap partition
            hda4: extended partition
            hda5: /boot
            hda6: /

            --
            stephen lau :: [ldl@...] :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
            http://www.whacked.net/oss/ldl
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 25, 2002
              Nope, that should work fine...

              -steve

              --
              stephen lau :: [ldl@...] :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
              http://www.whacked.net/oss/ldl
            • epark
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 25, 2002
                --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <ldl@g...> wrote:
                > why not do:
                >
                > hda1: s2d partition
                > hda2: winXP partition
                > hda3: swap partition
                > hda4: extended partition
                > hda5: /boot
                > hda6: /

                Your BIOS hopefully has LBA support. If not, you could do this to
                ensure that /boot is w/in 1024 cylinder limit:

                hda1: s2d
                hda2: /boot
                hda3: winXP
                hda4: extended
                hda5: /
                hda6: swap

                Stephen or anyone, can you think of a reason why this setup wouldn't
                work?

                Cheers,
                Ed
              • c00l1979
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 31, 2002
                  Hi,

                  I'm kind of confused by this. I thought using the s2d utility from
                  Dell, I'd HAVE TO create the hibernation partition at the first 8.4
                  GB of my hdd. I already have windows and linux installed before I
                  realized that I need to create a hibernation partition.
                  So, it'd be great if I could use the s2d utility without having to
                  redo my system all over again.

                  Thanks,
                  -D
                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <ldl@g...> wrote:
                  > why not do:
                  >
                  > hda1: s2d partition
                  > hda2: winXP partition
                  > hda3: swap partition
                  > hda4: extended partition
                  > hda5: /boot
                  > hda6: /
                  >
                  > On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 06:12:00AM -0000, questforme wrote:
                  > > I'm thinking about implementing s2d on my Inspiron I8200 but my
                  hard
                  > > already has 4 primary partitions:
                  > >
                  > > 1st Partition: Windows XP
                  > > 2nd Partition: Linux boot partition
                  > > 3rd Partition: Linux swap partition
                  > > 4th Partition: Linux root partition
                  > >
                  > > Since you can have only 4 primary partitions per Hard Drive will
                  the
                  > > s2d utility mess up my system even if that partition is hidden?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Kent
                  > >

                  > --
                  > stephen lau :: [ldl@g...] :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
                  > http://www.whacked.net/oss/ldl
                • Peter Møller Neergaard
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 1, 2002
                    On August 31, 2002, you wrote:

                    dw> So, it'd be great if I could use the s2d utility
                    dw> without having to redo my system all over again.

                    The only way to achieve this is to use Partition Magic or another
                    repartition tool to change the layout of your harddisk.
                    Unfortunately, it seems that only the commercial versions are capable
                    of handling NTFS.

                    Also, mind you that it only few people that actually succeeds on
                    getting the BIOS S2D to work (personally, I'm one of the unlucky ones
                    who have wasted hours trying various combinations).

                    /Peter
                    --
                    http://www.linearity.org/turtle/contact.html
                    ``When you have had all the experiences, met all the famous people,