SuSE 8.0 on I4100

  • Peer Soehring
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2002

      I'm currently running a somewhat modified version of SuSE 7.3 on my i4100
      (with radeon) and I'm planning to redoo the whole installation to change some
      partitions, get KDE3.0 etc. I tend towards using SuSe again (8.0), but
      wondered if it actually runs mainly out of the box as I don't think SuSE is
      that great an distribution to do a lot of tweeking. If I have to change a
      lot of stuff, I might go for gentoo sort something like that straight away.
      I've seen there is at least one person on the list who is running SuSE 8.0 on
      an i4100, so it would be cool to hear about other peoples experiences. Thanks,

      Peer
    • Mitch
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2002
        Hi Peer,

        for me SuSE 8.0 worked fine on the I4100 - it needed just a little tweaking on
        PCMCIA. I had to start the installation with the bootparameter "nopcmcia=yes"
        to avoid a complete lockup during the first boot-up, and a few changes to a
        pcmcia-config file as described in the LDL-FAQ. Now it works fine.
        AFAIR everything else worked out-of-the-box (except the internal modem, which
        doesn't seem to work with linux, although I remember someone wrote on this
        topic here in the list).
        Further questions?

        Mitch