RE: [linux-dell-laptops] stupid n00b question on kernel compiles

  • Domsalla, Thorsten
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 2, 2002
      > make menuconfig(or config, or xconfig, whatever, and set the
      > configuration)
      > make dep
      > make clean
      > (if necessary) make modules
      > (if necessary) make modules_install
      > (if necessary) make install
      > reboot

      I miss the "make bzLinux" right after "make clean". And, try "make bzlilo"
      instead of "make install"

      TJ
    • emil kirschner
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 2, 2002
        what I do is:

        - make mrproper
        - make [menu/x]config
        - make dep
        - make bzImage
        - [make and install the modules if needed]
        - cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /a_new_file_in_root
        - add the new image to the lilo file (/etc/lilo.conf)
        (don't remove your working image)
        - lilo (will commit your lilo change)
        - reboot

        keeping your old image allows you to very quickly
        reboot a clean system if the new image goes wrong. You
        can always remove your old image later.

        the location of your lilo.conf file may vary with your
        distro (I'm on slackware).

        Cheers,
        e.

        --- coshea120 <da3dalus@...> wrote:
        > Hey everyone, I just wanna quick verification as to
        > whether this is
        > the correct way to compile a kernel. Please correct
        > it if it's wrong.
        >
        > make menuconfig(or config, or xconfig, whatever, and
        > set the
        > configuration)
        > make dep
        > make clean
        > (if necessary) make modules
        > (if necessary) make modules_install
        > (if necessary) make install
        > reboot

        =====
        take a poor man to the disco and he will dance for a night.
        teach him how to scratch, and he will dance for ever!
        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • david carlton
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 2, 2002
          On Tue, 02 Jul 2002 04:43:21 -0000, "coshea120" <da3dalus@...> said:

          > make clean

          Is there any more reason to do this when compiling the kernel than
          there is when compiling other pieces of software? (Other than the
          fact that the kernel's more important than most pieces of software, of
          course.)

          David Carlton | <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/>
          carlton@... | Go books: <http://www.gobooks.info/>

          Yow! I like my new DENTIST...
        • Yazz D. Atlas
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2002
            On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 00:43, coshea120 wrote:
            > Hey everyone, I just wanna quick verification as to whether this is
            > the correct way to compile a kernel. Please correct it if it's wrong.
            >
            > make menuconfig(or config, or xconfig, whatever, and set the
            > configuration)
            > make dep
            > make clean
            > (if necessary) make modules
            > (if necessary) make modules_install
            > (if necessary) make install
            > reboot

            Well if you were on a Debian system I would recommend using the nice
            kernel-package tools. You can build kernel packages for the headers,
            source, docs, or just the kernel image. You can even use it to patch the
            kernel if you need to.

            # tar xjvf kernel-source-2.4.18.tar.bz2
            # cd kernel-source-2.4.18
            # make-kpkg --config menu --initrd --append-to-version -blah-blah \
            --revision 1 kernel_image

            after its done building the package you can install the kernel just by
            doing

            # dpkg -i kernel-source-2.4.18-blah-blah_1_i386.deb

            I use grub so to make life even easier I have the following in
            /etc/kernel-img.conf. It updates my /boot/grub/menu.lst.

            # Do not create symbolic links in /
            # Turn off Lilo stuff
            do_symlinks = no
            do_bootloader = no

            # Initrds are OK for Grub
            do_initrd = yes

            # Run cool Grub stuff
            postinst_hook = /sbin/update-grub
            postrm_hook = /sbin/update-grub

            If you don't used initrd images just remove the flag in the make-kpkg
            line and the set do_initrd to no in the /etc/kernel-img.conf

            Yazz D. Atlas <yazz@...>
            http://www.230volts.net/
          • Chris Howells
            • david carlton
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 3, 2002
                On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 21:16:28 +0100, Chris Howells <chrish@...> said:
                > On Tuesday 02 July 2002 7:30 pm, david carlton wrote:

                >> Is there any more reason to do this when compiling the kernel than
                >> there is when compiling other pieces of software? (Other than the
                >> fact that the kernel's more important than most pieces of software, of
                >> course.)

                > I think it's just standard practice to ensure that there aren't any
                > stale object files around that could cause weird breakages.

                Sure, but is there any more reason for that to happen when compiling
                the kernel than when compiling anything else? Because sometimes I go
                through several compiles in a row when tinkering with my .config; so
                far I haven't been doing a "make clean", and I haven't noticed
                anything bad happen, but I'd like to know if I should be more careful.

                David Carlton | <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/>
                carlton@... | Go books: <http://www.gobooks.info/>

                All of life is a blur of Republicans and meat!
              • Alan Clucas
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 4, 2002
                  > On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 21:16:28 +0100, Chris Howells <chrish@...> said:
                  > > On Tuesday 02 July 2002 7:30 pm, david carlton wrote:
                  >
                  > >> Is there any more reason to do this when compiling the kernel than
                  > >> there is when compiling other pieces of software? (Other than the
                  > >> fact that the kernel's more important than most pieces of software, of
                  > >> course.)
                  >
                  > > I think it's just standard practice to ensure that there aren't any
                  > > stale object files around that could cause weird breakages.
                  >
                  > Sure, but is there any more reason for that to happen when compiling
                  > the kernel than when compiling anything else? Because sometimes I go
                  > through several compiles in a row when tinkering with my .config; so
                  > far I haven't been doing a "make clean", and I haven't noticed
                  > anything bad happen, but I'd like to know if I should be more careful.

                  There is one really good reason - if the kernel is badly compiled then it is
                  much worse than if mpg123 is badly compiled. It is a much larger and more
                  complex beast than most programs, and unlike many normal programs, you are
                  actually only going to compile in a very small subset of the whole thing. If
                  the dependancies in the hundreds of makefiles in the kernel are all correct
                  for all the millions of possible configurations (make menuconfig results)
                  then you're OK. But if not then you'll just get weird bugs. Back when I
                  hacked at the kernel I was just playing with the ide driver, and then just
                  with a single file, but it still caused funny results until I recompiled the
                  whole thing.

                  Alan