Re: [linux-dell-laptops] I8200 "keys"

  • David Tansey
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2002
      the volume buttons work well with i8kbuttons (it's a program... under
      "i8kutils" debian package (unstable.. dunno about the other trees)

      the play/pause, stop, etc buttons i got to work with the "evil" xev
      program them mapped them (xmodmap) to f13,f14, etc then had e16keyedit
      to make them do things (xmms -t, xmms -s, xmms -r, xmms -f i believe)

      Hope this helps,
      David

      On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 02:22, jlaudiorulez wrote: Hi-
      Has anyone got to work the volume control and other buttons fon the
      laptop, the ones in the upper left corner? i tried the
      volume-control-buttons tar file..no lick and it messd up my computer
      by using that evil xev prog..i will not use tha again! any help
      would be great.

      thanks
      brad

    • jamesots
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2002
        To get the multimedia buttons working I added the following lines to
        /etc/X11/Xmodmap:

        keycode 129 = F20
        keycode 130 = F21
        keycode 131 = F22
        keycode 132 = F23

        To get the volume buttons working I do 'insmod i8k', and then run
        i8kbuttons -m "amixer -q sset Master,0 toggle" -u "amixer -q sset Master,0 5%+
        unmute" -d "amixer -q sset Master,0 5%- unmute" &
        ...which works fine on my SuSE 8 installation - but if you don't have amixer
        you may need something slightly different command.
        At the moment I run that command in a console window, but at some point I'll
        change it to run in the background at startup -- should I create a file in
        /etc/rc.d, or is there a better way?

        --
        Cheers
        James Ots

        > On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 02:22, jlaudiorulez wrote: Hi-
        > Has anyone got to work the volume control and other buttons fon the
        > laptop, the ones in the upper left corner? i tried the
        > volume-control-buttons tar file..no lick and it messd up my computer
        > by using that evil xev prog..i will not use tha again! any help
        > would be great.
      • Domsalla, Thorsten
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2002
          Hi,

          > At the moment I run that command in a console window, but at
          > some point I'll change it to run in the background at startup --
          > should I create a file in /etc/rc.d, or is there a better way?

          I guess, it's the best way to do it. I created a short init script to insmod
          the i8k module (unless it isn't linked statically into the kernel) and start
          i8kbuttons (unless not done before:). By creating the appropriate links S*
          and K* in the runlevel folders it starts up at boot time. Don't forget to
          provide the options start|stop|status.

          > To get the multimedia buttons working I added the following lines to
          > /etc/X11/Xmodmap:
          > keycode 129 = F20 [...]

          This works for you? On my machine nothing happens when I press one of these
          keys.

          TJ
        • jamesots
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2, 2002
            > > To get the multimedia buttons working I added the following lines to
            > > /etc/X11/Xmodmap:
            > > keycode 129 = F20 [...]
            >
            > This works for you? On my machine nothing happens when I press one of these
            > keys.

            I'm pretty sure that's all I did. Of course, I also had to tell KDE that F20
            starts Konqueror in file browser mode, F21 starts it as a web browser, etc.

            --
            Cheers
            James Ots
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2002
              Ok here's the schoop-
              I got the volume keys to work, with on screen display... thank
              you all very much!! Now the play/stop/buttons those 4 do not
              work...for some reason my WM won't pick up the other 4
              keys....but Gnome does..anyone know how to in blackbox? any help
              would be great, i thank you a guys a lot!!

              thanks
              brad

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "jlaudiorulez" <jl_audio@c...>

            • mchristoph.eckert@t-online.de
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 2, 2002
                Am Dienstag, 2. Juli 2002 08:57 schrieb jamesots:

                > To get the volume buttons working I do 'insmod i8k', and
                > then run i8kbuttons -m "amixer -q sset Master,0 toggle" -u
                > "amixer -q sset Master,0 5%+ unmute" -d "amixer -q sset
                > Master,0 5%- unmute" &

                many many thanks for these great lines.

                > ...which works fine on my SuSE 8 installation - but if you
                > don't have amixer you may need something slightly different
                > command. At the moment I run that command in a console
                > window, but at some point I'll change it to run in the
                > background at startup -- should I create a file in
                > /etc/rc.d, or is there a better way?

                I used /etc/init.d/boot.local and added your lines from above.
                If this file doesn't exist, create it.

                Gruß

                ce

                ======
                Installation von SuSE 8.0 auf einem Dell Inspiron 8200
                http://home.t-online.de/home/mchristoph.eckert/inspiron8200/
                ======
              • stmpj
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 3, 2002
                  Hi
                  Thanks for that solution below. but this did not work for me when
                  I tried.

                  I did notice that you were using Suse, where as I am using Redhat
                  7.3, and I didnt have aumixer installed. So I made some
                  modifications to your line and it now works fine.

                  i8kbuttons -m "aumix -vM" -u "aumix -v+5" -d "aumix -v-5" &

                  Hope this helps someone.

                  PJ

                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., mchristoph.eckert@t... wrote:
                  > Am Dienstag, 2. Juli 2002 08:57 schrieb jamesots:
                  >
                  > > To get the volume buttons working I do 'insmod i8k', and
                  > > then run i8kbuttons -m "amixer -q sset Master,0 toggle" -u
                  > > "amixer -q sset Master,0 5%+ unmute" -d "amixer -q sset
                  > > Master,0 5%- unmute" &
                  >
                  > many many thanks for these great lines.
                  >
                  > > ...which works fine on my SuSE 8 installation - but if you
                  > > don't have amixer you may need something slightly different
                  > > command. At the moment I run that command in a console
                  > > window, but at some point I'll change it to run in the
                  > > background at startup -- should I create a file in
                  > > /etc/rc.d, or is there a better way?
                  >
                  > I used /etc/init.d/boot.local and added your lines from above.
                  > If this file doesn't exist, create it.
                  >
                  > Gruß
                  >
                  > ce
                  >

                  > ======
                  > Installation von SuSE 8.0 auf einem Dell Inspiron 8200
                  > http://home.t-online.de/home/mchristoph.eckert/inspiron8200/
                  > ======
                • Darren Evans
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 3, 2002
                    > i8kbuttons -m "aumix -vM" -u "aumix -v+5" -d "aumix -v-5"

                    Great, helps me, never got around to figuring this out :-)

                    Which configuration script did you add this to?

                    Darren
                  • Domsalla, Thorsten
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 3, 2002
                      Hi,

                      > > i8kbuttons -m "aumix -vM" -u "aumix -v+5" -d "aumix -v-5"
                      > Great, helps me, never got around to figuring this out :-)

                      I rememmber, in the tarball of i8kutils there was a folder named demo (or
                      similar) that contains also a script setmixer.sh that shows how to use
                      i8kbuttons.

                      TJ
                    • stmpj
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 3, 2002
                        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Darren Evans <darren@h...> wrote:

                        > > i8kbuttons -m "aumix -vM" -u "aumix -v+5" -d "aumix -v-5"
                        >
                        > Great, helps me, never got around to figuring this out :-)
                        >
                        > Which configuration script did you add this to?
                        >
                        > Darren

                        I created a file called /etc/init.d/volume containing the
                        following.

                        insmod i8k
                        i8kbuttons -m "aumix -vM" -u "aumix -v+5u" -d "aumix -v-5u" &

                        Then created a soft link to the above file called
                        /etc/rc5.d/S96volume.

                        Dont know if this is the best way but it works for me.

                        PJ
                      • jlaudiorulez
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 3, 2002
                          I got this to work with OSD!! It works pretty well..now i'm
                          messing with i9kutils..but i worried about using the fan
                          settigns..it seems like when u let the bios run it..it goes for a
                          bit..then off..then on again..then off..then on..with the is prog
                          it bascailly always goes..i dunno if tha is a good thing or
                          not...anyways thank for all the help all!!

                          thanks
                          brad