Re: [linux-dell-laptops] stupid n00b question on kernel compiles

  • Angelika
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2002
      Am Die, 2002-07-02 um 06.43 schrieb coshea120:
      > make menuconfig(or config, or xconfig, whatever, and set the
      > configuration)
      > make dep
      > make clean
      Do a make bzImage here (this will put together the actual kernel, i.e.
      vmlinuz)

      > (if necessary) make modules
      > (if necessary) make modules_install
      > (if necessary) make install
      I always make install aswell for it places the kernel into the directory
      it belongs (/boot in my case - using SuSE) and then runs lilo for me.
      Note: If you use lilo, you *must* run lilo before rebooting, otherwise,
      (if you don't have any other kernel in your boot menu) go search for a
      boot disk. I don't know how grub and other bootmanagers handle that.
      Oh, and I strongly recommend backing up the old (working) kernel and
      give it an extra entry in your bootmanager.

      > reboot
      Optionally, insert prayers in this place ;-)

      Angelika.
    • jamesots
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 2, 2002
        > Oh, and I strongly recommend backing up the old (working) kernel and
        > give it an extra entry in your bootmanager.

        You MUST ALWAYS back up your old working kernel and make an extra entry in
        lilo (or your other bootmanager). And probably back up your old modules as
        well. And make sure you run lilo after changing your kernel (if using lilo).

        Personally, I've given up on recompiling my kernel because my versions never
        seem to quite work, whereas SuSE's never have any problems. (It would be nice
        to have a P4 optimised kernel though).

        --
        Cheers
        James Ots
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 2, 2002
          Am Die, 2002-07-02 um 09.05 schrieb jamesots:
          > Personally, I've given up on recompiling my kernel because my versions never
          > seem to quite work, whereas SuSE's never have any problems. (It would be nice
          > to have a P4 optimised kernel though).
          I've had quite a few problems with recompiling the SuSE8.0 stock kernel
          (2.4.18). It only produced a blank screen, a blinking cursor in the top
          left and a system that needed a forced power off (5s on the power
          button) to get somewhere. It seems the problem was that I didn't compile
          4GB RAM support into it which is standard with SuSE. It's still a
          mystery to me but now with the 4GB support back in it works (quite
          nicely)...

          Angelika.
        • Domsalla, Thorsten
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2002
            > make menuconfig(or config, or xconfig, whatever, and set the
            > configuration)
            > make dep
            > make clean
            > (if necessary) make modules
            > (if necessary) make modules_install
            > (if necessary) make install
            > reboot

            I miss the "make bzLinux" right after "make clean". And, try "make bzlilo"
            instead of "make install"

            TJ
          • emil kirschner
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2002
              what I do is:

              - make mrproper
              - make [menu/x]config
              - make dep
              - make bzImage
              - [make and install the modules if needed]
              - cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /a_new_file_in_root
              - add the new image to the lilo file (/etc/lilo.conf)
              (don't remove your working image)
              - lilo (will commit your lilo change)
              - reboot

              keeping your old image allows you to very quickly
              reboot a clean system if the new image goes wrong. You
              can always remove your old image later.

              the location of your lilo.conf file may vary with your
              distro (I'm on slackware).

              Cheers,
              e.

              --- coshea120 <da3dalus@...> wrote:
              > Hey everyone, I just wanna quick verification as to
              > whether this is
              > the correct way to compile a kernel. Please correct
              > it if it's wrong.
              >
              > make menuconfig(or config, or xconfig, whatever, and
              > set the
              > configuration)
              > make dep
              > make clean
              > (if necessary) make modules
              > (if necessary) make modules_install
              > (if necessary) make install
              > reboot

              =====
              take a poor man to the disco and he will dance for a night.
              teach him how to scratch, and he will dance for ever!
              http://sbc.yahoo.com
            • david carlton
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2002
                On Tue, 02 Jul 2002 04:43:21 -0000, "coshea120" <da3dalus@...> said:

                > make clean

                Is there any more reason to do this when compiling the kernel than
                there is when compiling other pieces of software? (Other than the
                fact that the kernel's more important than most pieces of software, of
                course.)

                David Carlton | <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/>
                carlton@... | Go books: <http://www.gobooks.info/>

                Yow! I like my new DENTIST...
              • Yazz D. Atlas
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 2, 2002
                  On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 00:43, coshea120 wrote:
                  > Hey everyone, I just wanna quick verification as to whether this is
                  > the correct way to compile a kernel. Please correct it if it's wrong.
                  >
                  > make menuconfig(or config, or xconfig, whatever, and set the
                  > configuration)
                  > make dep
                  > make clean
                  > (if necessary) make modules
                  > (if necessary) make modules_install
                  > (if necessary) make install
                  > reboot

                  Well if you were on a Debian system I would recommend using the nice
                  kernel-package tools. You can build kernel packages for the headers,
                  source, docs, or just the kernel image. You can even use it to patch the
                  kernel if you need to.

                  # tar xjvf kernel-source-2.4.18.tar.bz2
                  # cd kernel-source-2.4.18
                  # make-kpkg --config menu --initrd --append-to-version -blah-blah \
                  --revision 1 kernel_image

                  after its done building the package you can install the kernel just by
                  doing

                  # dpkg -i kernel-source-2.4.18-blah-blah_1_i386.deb

                  I use grub so to make life even easier I have the following in
                  /etc/kernel-img.conf. It updates my /boot/grub/menu.lst.

                  # Do not create symbolic links in /
                  # Turn off Lilo stuff
                  do_symlinks = no
                  do_bootloader = no

                  # Initrds are OK for Grub
                  do_initrd = yes

                  # Run cool Grub stuff
                  postinst_hook = /sbin/update-grub
                  postrm_hook = /sbin/update-grub

                  If you don't used initrd images just remove the flag in the make-kpkg
                  line and the set do_initrd to no in the /etc/kernel-img.conf

                  Yazz D. Atlas <yazz@...>
                  http://www.230volts.net/
                • Chris Howells
                  • david carlton
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 3, 2002
                      On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 21:16:28 +0100, Chris Howells <chrish@...> said:
                      > On Tuesday 02 July 2002 7:30 pm, david carlton wrote:

                      >> Is there any more reason to do this when compiling the kernel than
                      >> there is when compiling other pieces of software? (Other than the
                      >> fact that the kernel's more important than most pieces of software, of
                      >> course.)

                      > I think it's just standard practice to ensure that there aren't any
                      > stale object files around that could cause weird breakages.

                      Sure, but is there any more reason for that to happen when compiling
                      the kernel than when compiling anything else? Because sometimes I go
                      through several compiles in a row when tinkering with my .config; so
                      far I haven't been doing a "make clean", and I haven't noticed
                      anything bad happen, but I'd like to know if I should be more careful.

                      David Carlton | <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/>
                      carlton@... | Go books: <http://www.gobooks.info/>

                      All of life is a blur of Republicans and meat!
                    • Alan Clucas
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 4, 2002
                        > On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 21:16:28 +0100, Chris Howells <chrish@...> said:
                        > > On Tuesday 02 July 2002 7:30 pm, david carlton wrote:
                        >
                        > >> Is there any more reason to do this when compiling the kernel than
                        > >> there is when compiling other pieces of software? (Other than the
                        > >> fact that the kernel's more important than most pieces of software, of
                        > >> course.)
                        >
                        > > I think it's just standard practice to ensure that there aren't any
                        > > stale object files around that could cause weird breakages.
                        >
                        > Sure, but is there any more reason for that to happen when compiling
                        > the kernel than when compiling anything else? Because sometimes I go
                        > through several compiles in a row when tinkering with my .config; so
                        > far I haven't been doing a "make clean", and I haven't noticed
                        > anything bad happen, but I'd like to know if I should be more careful.

                        There is one really good reason - if the kernel is badly compiled then it is
                        much worse than if mpg123 is badly compiled. It is a much larger and more
                        complex beast than most programs, and unlike many normal programs, you are
                        actually only going to compile in a very small subset of the whole thing. If
                        the dependancies in the hundreds of makefiles in the kernel are all correct
                        for all the millions of possible configurations (make menuconfig results)
                        then you're OK. But if not then you'll just get weird bugs. Back when I
                        hacked at the kernel I was just playing with the ide driver, and then just
                        with a single file, but it still caused funny results until I recompiled the
                        whole thing.

                        Alan