Re: [linux-dell-laptops] I8200 "keys"

  • David Tansey
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2002
      the volume buttons work well with i8kbuttons (it's a program... under
      "i8kutils" debian package (unstable.. dunno about the other trees)

      the play/pause, stop, etc buttons i got to work with the "evil" xev
      program them mapped them (xmodmap) to f13,f14, etc then had e16keyedit
      to make them do things (xmms -t, xmms -s, xmms -r, xmms -f i believe)

      Hope this helps,
      David

      On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 02:22, jlaudiorulez wrote: Hi-
      Has anyone got to work the volume control and other buttons fon the
      laptop, the ones in the upper left corner? i tried the
      volume-control-buttons tar file..no lick and it messd up my computer
      by using that evil xev prog..i will not use tha again! any help
      would be great.

      thanks
      brad

    • jlaudiorulez

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2002
          To get the multimedia buttons working I added the following lines to
          /etc/X11/Xmodmap:

          keycode 129 = F20
          keycode 130 = F21
          keycode 131 = F22
          keycode 132 = F23

          To get the volume buttons working I do 'insmod i8k', and then run
          i8kbuttons -m "amixer -q sset Master,0 toggle" -u "amixer -q sset Master,0 5%+
          unmute" -d "amixer -q sset Master,0 5%- unmute" &
          ...which works fine on my SuSE 8 installation - but if you don't have amixer
          you may need something slightly different command.
          At the moment I run that command in a console window, but at some point I'll
          change it to run in the background at startup -- should I create a file in
          /etc/rc.d, or is there a better way?

          --
          Cheers
          James Ots

          > On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 02:22, jlaudiorulez wrote: Hi-
          > Has anyone got to work the volume control and other buttons fon the
          > laptop, the ones in the upper left corner? i tried the
          > volume-control-buttons tar file..no lick and it messd up my computer
          > by using that evil xev prog..i will not use tha again! any help
          > would be great.
        • Domsalla, Thorsten
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2, 2002
            Hi,

            > At the moment I run that command in a console window, but at
            > some point I'll change it to run in the background at startup --
            > should I create a file in /etc/rc.d, or is there a better way?

            I guess, it's the best way to do it. I created a short init script to insmod
            the i8k module (unless it isn't linked statically into the kernel) and start
            i8kbuttons (unless not done before:). By creating the appropriate links S*
            and K* in the runlevel folders it starts up at boot time. Don't forget to
            provide the options start|stop|status.

            > To get the multimedia buttons working I added the following lines to
            > /etc/X11/Xmodmap:
            > keycode 129 = F20 [...]

            This works for you? On my machine nothing happens when I press one of these
            keys.

            TJ
          • jamesots
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2002
              > > To get the multimedia buttons working I added the following lines to
              > > /etc/X11/Xmodmap:
              > > keycode 129 = F20 [...]
              >
              > This works for you? On my machine nothing happens when I press one of these
              > keys.

              I'm pretty sure that's all I did. Of course, I also had to tell KDE that F20
              starts Konqueror in file browser mode, F21 starts it as a web browser, etc.

              --
              Cheers
              James Ots
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 2, 2002
                Ok here's the schoop-
                I got the volume keys to work, with on screen display... thank
                you all very much!! Now the play/stop/buttons those 4 do not
                work...for some reason my WM won't pick up the other 4
                keys....but Gnome does..anyone know how to in blackbox? any help
                would be great, i thank you a guys a lot!!

                thanks
                brad

                --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "jlaudiorulez" <jl_audio@c...>

              • mchristoph.eckert@t-online.de
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 2, 2002
                  Am Dienstag, 2. Juli 2002 08:57 schrieb jamesots:

                  > To get the volume buttons working I do 'insmod i8k', and
                  > then run i8kbuttons -m "amixer -q sset Master,0 toggle" -u
                  > "amixer -q sset Master,0 5%+ unmute" -d "amixer -q sset
                  > Master,0 5%- unmute" &

                  many many thanks for these great lines.

                  > ...which works fine on my SuSE 8 installation - but if you
                  > don't have amixer you may need something slightly different
                  > command. At the moment I run that command in a console
                  > window, but at some point I'll change it to run in the
                  > background at startup -- should I create a file in
                  > /etc/rc.d, or is there a better way?

                  I used /etc/init.d/boot.local and added your lines from above.
                  If this file doesn't exist, create it.

                  Gruß

                  ce

                  ======
                  Installation von SuSE 8.0 auf einem Dell Inspiron 8200
                  http://home.t-online.de/home/mchristoph.eckert/inspiron8200/
                  ======
                • stmpj
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 3, 2002
                    Hi
                    Thanks for that solution below. but this did not work for me when
                    I tried.

                    I did notice that you were using Suse, where as I am using Redhat
                    7.3, and I didnt have aumixer installed. So I made some
                    modifications to your line and it now works fine.

                    i8kbuttons -m "aumix -vM" -u "aumix -v+5" -d "aumix -v-5" &

                    Hope this helps someone.

                    PJ

                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., mchristoph.eckert@t... wrote:
                    > Am Dienstag, 2. Juli 2002 08:57 schrieb jamesots:
                    >
                    > > To get the volume buttons working I do 'insmod i8k', and
                    > > then run i8kbuttons -m "amixer -q sset Master,0 toggle" -u
                    > > "amixer -q sset Master,0 5%+ unmute" -d "amixer -q sset
                    > > Master,0 5%- unmute" &
                    >
                    > many many thanks for these great lines.
                    >
                    > > ...which works fine on my SuSE 8 installation - but if you
                    > > don't have amixer you may need something slightly different
                    > > command. At the moment I run that command in a console
                    > > window, but at some point I'll change it to run in the
                    > > background at startup -- should I create a file in
                    > > /etc/rc.d, or is there a better way?
                    >
                    > I used /etc/init.d/boot.local and added your lines from above.
                    > If this file doesn't exist, create it.
                    >
                    > Gruß
                    >
                    > ce
                    >

                    > ======
                    > Installation von SuSE 8.0 auf einem Dell Inspiron 8200
                    > http://home.t-online.de/home/mchristoph.eckert/inspiron8200/
                    > ======
                  • Darren Evans
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 3, 2002
                      > i8kbuttons -m "aumix -vM" -u "aumix -v+5" -d "aumix -v-5"

                      Great, helps me, never got around to figuring this out :-)

                      Which configuration script did you add this to?

                      Darren
                    • Domsalla, Thorsten
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 3, 2002
                        Hi,

                        > > i8kbuttons -m "aumix -vM" -u "aumix -v+5" -d "aumix -v-5"
                        > Great, helps me, never got around to figuring this out :-)

                        I rememmber, in the tarball of i8kutils there was a folder named demo (or
                        similar) that contains also a script setmixer.sh that shows how to use
                        i8kbuttons.

                        TJ
                      • stmpj
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 3, 2002
                          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Darren Evans <darren@h...> wrote:

                          > > i8kbuttons -m "aumix -vM" -u "aumix -v+5" -d "aumix -v-5"
                          >
                          > Great, helps me, never got around to figuring this out :-)
                          >
                          > Which configuration script did you add this to?
                          >
                          > Darren

                          I created a file called /etc/init.d/volume containing the
                          following.

                          insmod i8k
                          i8kbuttons -m "aumix -vM" -u "aumix -v+5u" -d "aumix -v-5u" &

                          Then created a soft link to the above file called
                          /etc/rc5.d/S96volume.

                          Dont know if this is the best way but it works for me.

                          PJ
                        • jlaudiorulez
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 3, 2002
                            I got this to work with OSD!! It works pretty well..now i'm
                            messing with i9kutils..but i worried about using the fan
                            settigns..it seems like when u let the bios run it..it goes for a
                            bit..then off..then on again..then off..then on..with the is prog
                            it bascailly always goes..i dunno if tha is a good thing or
                            not...anyways thank for all the help all!!

                            thanks
                            brad