Re: [linux-dell-laptops] how do I enable DMA on the cdrw/DVD drive on my I8200

  • Per-Erik Mäkitalo
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
      On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 jsc3@... wrote:

      > teleflux wrote:
      > >
      > > hdparm says its not supported no matter what device name I give it...
      > > has anyone gotten this to work properly? erf.

      On my i8200 the dvd/cd is a emulated scsi device the device file is
      /dev/cdrom and it is a symlink to /dev/scd0 It is not a scsi device
      so the right device is /dev/hdb a hdparm -i on /dev/hdb confirms that.

      Try to issue the hdparm command on that device (/dev/hdb)

      > What is the make and model of the CDRW (hdparm -i should tell you)?
      > It may be that it simply does not support DMA. Though most IDE devices
      > do support DMA these days, some still don't.
      >
      > --
      > John Cronin
      > mailto: `echo NjsOc3@... | sed 's/[NOSPAM]//g'`

      Per-Erik Mäkitalo The Un-X Crew POWERED BY LINUX AND HP-UX
      Located @ N65°37.361' E22°08.338' (WGS84) Outside temp 16.90 C
      We all declare for liberty, but in using the same word we do not all mean
      the same thing.
      -- A. Lincoln
    • teleflux
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
        WAHOOOOO it finally works!!! I love you all. Now I can throw out my
        DVD player.