Re: [linux-dell-laptops] how do I enable DMA on the cdrw/DVD drive on my I8200

  • jsc3@gtf.org
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
      teleflux wrote:

      > hdparm says its not supported no matter what device name I give it...
      > has anyone gotten this to work properly? erf.

      What is the make and model of the CDRW (hdparm -i should tell you)?
      It may be that it simply does not support DMA. Though most IDE devices
      do support DMA these days, some still don't.

      --
      John Cronin
    • Per-Erik Mäkitalo
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
        On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 jsc3@... wrote:

        > teleflux wrote:
        > >
        > > hdparm says its not supported no matter what device name I give it...
        > > has anyone gotten this to work properly? erf.

        On my i8200 the dvd/cd is a emulated scsi device the device file is
        /dev/cdrom and it is a symlink to /dev/scd0 It is not a scsi device
        so the right device is /dev/hdb a hdparm -i on /dev/hdb confirms that.

        Try to issue the hdparm command on that device (/dev/hdb)

        > What is the make and model of the CDRW (hdparm -i should tell you)?
        > It may be that it simply does not support DMA. Though most IDE devices
        > do support DMA these days, some still don't.
        >
        > --
        > John Cronin
        > mailto: `echo NjsOc3@... | sed 's/[NOSPAM]//g'`

        Per-Erik Mäkitalo The Un-X Crew POWERED BY LINUX AND HP-UX
        Located @ N65°37.361' E22°08.338' (WGS84) Outside temp 16.90 C
        We all declare for liberty, but in using the same word we do not all mean
        the same thing.
        -- A. Lincoln
      • teleflux
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
          WAHOOOOO it finally works!!! I love you all. Now I can throw out my
          DVD player.