how do I enable DMA on the cdrw/DVD drive on my I8200

  • teleflux
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
      hdparm says its not supported no matter what device name I give it...
      has anyone gotten this to work properly? erf.
    • jsc3@gtf.org
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
        teleflux wrote:

        > hdparm says its not supported no matter what device name I give it...
        > has anyone gotten this to work properly? erf.

        What is the make and model of the CDRW (hdparm -i should tell you)?
        It may be that it simply does not support DMA. Though most IDE devices
        do support DMA these days, some still don't.

        --
        John Cronin
      • Per-Erik Mäkitalo
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
          On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 jsc3@... wrote:

          > teleflux wrote:
          > >
          > > hdparm says its not supported no matter what device name I give it...
          > > has anyone gotten this to work properly? erf.

          On my i8200 the dvd/cd is a emulated scsi device the device file is
          /dev/cdrom and it is a symlink to /dev/scd0 It is not a scsi device
          so the right device is /dev/hdb a hdparm -i on /dev/hdb confirms that.

          Try to issue the hdparm command on that device (/dev/hdb)

          > What is the make and model of the CDRW (hdparm -i should tell you)?
          > It may be that it simply does not support DMA. Though most IDE devices
          > do support DMA these days, some still don't.
          >
          > --
          > John Cronin
          > mailto: `echo NjsOc3@... | sed 's/[NOSPAM]//g'`

          Per-Erik Mäkitalo The Un-X Crew POWERED BY LINUX AND HP-UX
          Located @ N65°37.361' E22°08.338' (WGS84) Outside temp 16.90 C
          We all declare for liberty, but in using the same word we do not all mean
          the same thing.
          -- A. Lincoln
        • teleflux
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
            WAHOOOOO it finally works!!! I love you all. Now I can throw out my
            DVD player.