Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 5000e display identification?

  • Francesco Corona
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
      two great urls here for you where you can retrieve all the informations you
      need on your laptop are:

      1.
      http://support.dell.com
      here, you need to log in using your computer service tag
      (this can be found on a sticker at the bottom of the notebook
      and somewhere in the bios setup screen as well) and browse
      thru documentation. this link will also provide you other
      specific information about your very own computer.

      2.
      http://www.google.com/search?q=%20inspiron%205000e%2015%20display
      no need to login here, but still a great basin of informations. and, wow, a
      very whole _LOT_ of links about the i5ke and its monitor.

      have a good one
      f.

      On Monday 01 July 2002 04:05, you wrote:
      > I just got handed an Inspiron 5000e with a 15-inch display. Only
      > one question: How do I tell *which* 15-inch display? I installed
      > Linux (Red Hat 7.2, with XF86 4.1.0, so at least that much works)
      > and blew away the previous WinME install before I discovered
      > that there was more than one, so I can't identify it that way.
    • Jay Maynard
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
        On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 09:09:02AM +0200, Francesco Corona wrote:
        > 1.
        > http://support.dell.com
        > here, you need to log in using your computer service tag
        > (this can be found on a sticker at the bottom of the notebook
        > and somewhere in the bios setup screen as well) and browse
        > thru documentation. this link will also provide you other
        > specific information about your very own computer.

        Nice site. Unfortunately, it will only show system configuration by
        downloading a Windows application. Is there a cross-reference somewhere from
        service tag to standard configuration? Mine's 96B6301.

        > 2.
        > http://www.google.com/search?q=%20inspiron%205000e%2015%20display
        > no need to login here, but still a great basin of informations. and, wow, a
        > very whole _LOT_ of links about the i5ke and its monitor.

        Like drinking from a firehose, and nothing I could find specifically about
        identifying which monitor I've got.

        Thanks...
      • Jay Maynard
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
          On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 04:44:32PM +0200, Francesco Corona wrote:
          > I allowed myself to log in to support.dell.com with your service tag; as for
          > the 15'' display, it says Inspirons 5000e come in thee different versions LT,
          > VT and U (Documentation -> Technical Overview -> LCD Panels or:
          > http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/pblan/overview.htm#lcd )

          I'd found this much, but couldn't see just where the ddesignator was
          displayed...

          > myself as an owner of plain inspiron 5000 gathers this information from the
          > very first screen it displays when I switch my laptop on. it goes something
          > like: Inspiron 5000 G600VT Bios Revision A08

          On this box, it displays the pretty Dell startup screen; you have to hit F2
          and read fast to see the message.

          Mine's an Inspiron 5000e G700LT, so it's got a 1024x768 screen.

          Thanks for the help.