Inspiron 5000e display identification?

  • k5zc
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2002
      I just got handed an Inspiron 5000e with a 15-inch display. Only
      one question: How do I tell *which* 15-inch display? I installed
      Linux (Red Hat 7.2, with XF86 4.1.0, so at least that much works)
      and blew away the previous WinME install before I discovered
      that there was more than one, so I can't identify it that way.
    • Francesco Corona
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
        two great urls here for you where you can retrieve all the informations you
        need on your laptop are:

        1.
        http://support.dell.com
        here, you need to log in using your computer service tag
        (this can be found on a sticker at the bottom of the notebook
        and somewhere in the bios setup screen as well) and browse
        thru documentation. this link will also provide you other
        specific information about your very own computer.

        2.
        http://www.google.com/search?q=%20inspiron%205000e%2015%20display
        no need to login here, but still a great basin of informations. and, wow, a
        very whole _LOT_ of links about the i5ke and its monitor.

        have a good one
        f.

        On Monday 01 July 2002 04:05, you wrote:
        > I just got handed an Inspiron 5000e with a 15-inch display. Only
        > one question: How do I tell *which* 15-inch display? I installed
        > Linux (Red Hat 7.2, with XF86 4.1.0, so at least that much works)
        > and blew away the previous WinME install before I discovered
        > that there was more than one, so I can't identify it that way.
      • Jay Maynard
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
          On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 09:09:02AM +0200, Francesco Corona wrote:
          > 1.
          > http://support.dell.com
          > here, you need to log in using your computer service tag
          > (this can be found on a sticker at the bottom of the notebook
          > and somewhere in the bios setup screen as well) and browse
          > thru documentation. this link will also provide you other
          > specific information about your very own computer.

          Nice site. Unfortunately, it will only show system configuration by
          downloading a Windows application. Is there a cross-reference somewhere from
          service tag to standard configuration? Mine's 96B6301.

          > 2.
          > http://www.google.com/search?q=%20inspiron%205000e%2015%20display
          > no need to login here, but still a great basin of informations. and, wow, a
          > very whole _LOT_ of links about the i5ke and its monitor.

          Like drinking from a firehose, and nothing I could find specifically about
          identifying which monitor I've got.

          Thanks...
        • Jay Maynard
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
            On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 04:44:32PM +0200, Francesco Corona wrote:
            > I allowed myself to log in to support.dell.com with your service tag; as for
            > the 15'' display, it says Inspirons 5000e come in thee different versions LT,
            > VT and U (Documentation -> Technical Overview -> LCD Panels or:
            > http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/pblan/overview.htm#lcd )

            I'd found this much, but couldn't see just where the ddesignator was
            displayed...

            > myself as an owner of plain inspiron 5000 gathers this information from the
            > very first screen it displays when I switch my laptop on. it goes something
            > like: Inspiron 5000 G600VT Bios Revision A08

            On this box, it displays the pretty Dell startup screen; you have to hit F2
            and read fast to see the message.

            Mine's an Inspiron 5000e G700LT, so it's got a 1024x768 screen.

            Thanks for the help.