Synaptics driver is great, go get it!

  • Norbert Preining
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 26, 2002
      Hi al of oyu!

      I just wanted to tell you that the synaptics driver available from
      mobilix.org is great (software -> synaptics driver). From the feature
      list:

      The touchpad driver has the following functions (some function requires features from the touchpad that must be present, multifinger taps for example):
      - Movement with adjustable, non-linear acceleration and speed (Options: MinSpeed, MaxSpeed, AccelFactor)
      - Button events through short touching of the touchpad (Options: MaxTapTime, MaxTapMove)
      - Double-Button events through double short touching of the touchpad
      - Dragging through short touching and holding down the finger on the touchpad
      - Middle and right button events on the upper and lower corner of the touchpad (Option: Edges)
      - Scrolling (button four and five events) through moving the finger on the right side of the touchpad (Options: Edges, VertScrollDelta)
      - The up/down button sends button four/five events
      - Adjustable finger detection (Option: Finger)
      - Ext Mouse repeater support - Alpha! (Option: Repeater)
      - Multifinger taps: two finger for middle button and three finger for right button events
      - Online configuration through short-memory (in development) (Option: SHMConfig)

      On my I8K I got everything working without any adjustments besides
      the one given in the install file. There are binary modules for X 4.1, so
      you don't have to compile the stuff.

      Only Problem: The Trackpoint does not work, but who uses it ;-)

      Best wishes

      Norbert

      Norbert Preining <preining AT logic DOT at> Technische Universität Wien
      DEAL (n.)

      The gummy substance found between damp toes.

      --- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff
    • benjamin_allanach
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 28, 2002
        I've just downloaded the driver and I really like it.
        The acceleration is the most useful thing, so if you move
        your finger fast, the cursor will make it from one end of
        the screen to the other, but still with the precision if
        you slow down.

        Right-button presses with two fingers on the touchpad is also
        useful. Thanks for the advice....

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Norbert Preining <preining@l...>

        ----

        ----

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 28, 2002
          On Fre, 28 Jun 2002, benjamin_allanach wrote:
          > Right-button presses with two fingers on the touchpad is also
          > useful. Thanks for the advice....

          Right button = 3 finger tap
          middle button = 2 finger tap

          don't forget the scroll option, scrolling by sliding on the right side
          of the pad, great.

          Best wishes

          Norbert

          Norbert Preining <preining AT logic DOT at> Technische Universität Wien
          LOUTH (n.)

          The sort of man who wears loud check jackets, has a personalised
          tankard behind the bar and always gets served before you do.

          --- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff
        • Mitch
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 28, 2002

            I manged to install the synaptics driver (binary) on my I4100 with SuSE 8.0.
            Works pretty fine, except two issues:
            First, after S2R the driver doesn't work - the touchpad does not react
            Second, middle and right button events don''t work.
            Especially the S2R-thing is annoying. Any suggestions or ideas?

            Thanks,

            Mitch

            On Wednesday 26 June 2002 12:11, Norbert Preining wrote:
            > Hi al of oyu!
            >
            > I just wanted to tell you that the synaptics driver available from
            > mobilix.org is great (software -> synaptics driver). From the feature
            > list:
            >
            > The touchpad driver has the following functions (some function requires
            > features from the touchpad that must be present, multifinger taps for
            > example): - Movement with adjustable, non-linear acceleration and speed
            > touching of the touchpad (Options: MaxTapTime, MaxTapMove) - Double-Button
            > events through double short touching of the touchpad - Dragging through
            > short touching and holding down the finger on the touchpad - Middle and
            > right button events on the upper and lower corner of the touchpad (Option:
            > Edges) - Scrolling (button four and five events) through moving the finger
            > on the right side of the touchpad (Options: Edges, VertScrollDelta) - The
            > up/down button sends button four/five events
            > - Adjustable finger detection (Option: Finger)
            > - Ext Mouse repeater support - Alpha! (Option: Repeater)
            > - Multifinger taps: two finger for middle button and three finger for right
            > button events - Online configuration through short-memory (in development)
            > (Option: SHMConfig)
            >
            > On my I8K I got everything working without any adjustments besides
            > the one given in the install file. There are binary modules for X 4.1, so
            > you don't have to compile the stuff.
            >
            > Only Problem: The Trackpoint does not work, but who uses it ;-)
            >
            > Best wishes
            >
            > Norbert

          • Norbert Preining
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 29, 2002
              Hi!

              I am not the one to answer this questions, but I just give my 2 €-cents:

              On Sam, 29 Jun 2002, Mitch wrote:
              > First, after S2R the driver doesn't work - the touchpad does not react

              This should be able to fix, maybe we should contact the writer of the
              module.

              > Second, middle and right button events don''t work.

              Maybe this feature is not supported by your touchpad, a lot of these
              features are dependend on the hardware version of the pad.

              Best wishes

              Norbert

              Norbert Preining <preining AT logic DOT at> Technische Universität Wien
              CAIRNPAT (n.)

              A large piece of dried dung found in mountainous terrain above the
              cowline which leads the experienced tracker to believe that hikers
              have recently passed.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 30, 2002

                due to my problems with the synaptics_driver and S2R I contacted the author of
                the driver. He sent me a later version that actually works!
                The other issue, the not working right-button-events were just due to my
                incapability to find the right spot to touch ....

                Mitch

                On Saturday 29 June 2002 03:13, Mitch wrote:
                > Hi,
                >
                > I manged to install the synaptics driver (binary) on my I4100 with SuSE
                > 8.0. Works pretty fine, except two issues:
                > First, after S2R the driver doesn't work - the touchpad does not react
                > Second, middle and right button events don''t work.
                > Especially the S2R-thing is annoying. Any suggestions or ideas?

              • Gary Peck
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 30, 2002
                  i did a quick search of google and couldn't find a newer version of
                  the driver than the one at mobilix.org. could you please let me know
                  where the newer version is located, or email it to me if it is not
                  available on the web?

                  thanks,
                  gary

                  On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 06:54:40PM +0200, Mitch wrote:
                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > due to my problems with the synaptics_driver and S2R I contacted the author of
                  > the driver. He sent me a later version that actually works!
                  > The other issue, the not working right-button-events were just due to my
                  > incapability to find the right spot to touch ....
                  >
                  > Mitch

                • fortepianissimo
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
                    I second the idea - better yet, could it be posted in the files
                    section so everyone can download it (the version with S2R working)? I
                    didn't send email to the author since I assume many would have already
                    done so and more messages will make it an unpleasant thing.

                    Thanks,

                    Ben

                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Gary Peck <gbpeck@s...> wrote:
                    > i did a quick search of google and couldn't find a newer version of
                    > the driver than the one at mobilix.org. could you please let me know
                    > where the newer version is located, or email it to me if it is not
                    > available on the web?
                    >
                    > thanks,
                    > gary
                    >
                    > On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 06:54:40PM +0200, Mitch wrote:
                    > > Hi,
                    > >
                    > > due to my problems with the synaptics_driver and S2R I contacted
                    the author of
                    > > the driver. He sent me a later version that actually works!
                    > > The other issue, the not working right-button-events were just due
                    to my
                    > > incapability to find the right spot to touch ....
                    > >
                    > > Mitch

                  • Mitch
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 2, 2002

                      I've just uploaded the driver to the files section. Hope it works for you all!

                      Bye

                      Mitch