Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: X on Inspiron 5000e

  • Brett Viren
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 8, 2000
      Hi Ralph,

      Thanks for the link.

      Now that I think about it, the reason why vga=794 fails to bring up a
      ``penguin boot'' is that I don't have graphical console support in my
      kernel. RH's kernel must come with this by default, or maybe you have
      a custom compiled kernel with this turned on.

      -Brett.

    • Ralph@bustech.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 9, 2000
        RH must come with this by default, I didn't compile a kernel.

      • martin.jung@gmx.de
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 11, 2000
          Hi!
          I just realized that once i mount a cdrom in this drive,
          - it is mounted as /dev/hdc
          - i am not able to eject the drive again
          - dmesg has all sorts of funny messages

          Right now I have no idea how to solve this, because i don't even know
          what's wrong here...

          Any comments ?

          I'll post a solution if I got one.

          The installation is RH7.0 on I5ke with the 1600<12000 display.

          FYI: Everything besides this and the apmd support worked just right out of
          the box. I have KDE 2.0 running without any problems (i tried gnome for
          fun and the panel flashed and disappeared :) )

          greetings,

          MJ

          --
          -------------------------------
          Martin Jung
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 11, 2000
            On Sat, 11 Nov 2000 martin.jung@... wrote:

            > Hi!
            > I just realized that once i mount a cdrom in this drive,
            > - it is mounted as /dev/hdc
            > - i am not able to eject the drive again
            > - dmesg has all sorts of funny messages

            umount /dev/hdc

            Kriss
          • martin.jung@gmx.de
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 11, 2000
              > umount /dev/hdc
              The Problem is not unmounting the cdrom but ejecting it. umount works
              fine, but eject says
              eject: CD-ROM eject failed
              eject: SCSI eject failed
              eject: floppy eject failed
              eject: tape eject failed

              Wouldn't be too bad if I coudl hardware-eject the cd, but being linux, the
              harware control is disabled, and so I would have to software-eject the
              drive, but neither
              eject cdrom nor
              eject /dev/hdc works

              MJ

              --
              -------------------------------
              Martin Jung
              Hartmannstrasse 129 App 701
              91058 Erlangen
              Tel.:09831-932166
              0172-8283142
              Fax.:09831-932166
            • Marc Fellman
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 11, 2000
                Aanhalen martin.jung@...:

                > > umount /dev/hdc
                > The Problem is not unmounting the cdrom but ejecting it. umount works
                > fine, but eject says
                > eject: CD-ROM eject failed
                > eject: SCSI eject failed
                > eject: floppy eject failed
                > eject: tape eject failed
                >
                > Wouldn't be too bad if I coudl hardware-eject the cd, but being linux,
                > the
                > harware control is disabled, and so I would have to software-eject the
                > drive, but neither
                > eject cdrom nor
                > eject /dev/hdc works

                It looks like you have supermount/automount active and therefore the unmount
                works not as supposed to. I sometimes have to use a VMware session to eject the
                CD. Maybe you have to disable amd.

                > MJ
                >
                > --
                > -------------------------------
                > Martin Jung
                > Hartmannstrasse 129 App 701
                > 91058 Erlangen
                > Tel.:09831-932166
                > 0172-8283142
                > Fax.:09831-932166

                M.Vr.Gr.

                Marc Fellman

                Dit bericht werd verzonden met behulp van IMP: fellsoft.homeip.net
              • Rob Yale
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 11, 2000
                  Hello,

                  I'm a bit confused. I'm thinking about buying an Inspiron 4000, and
                  in perusing this list I see quite a bit of woe (with regard to
                  running Linux on Del Laptops). I read the article in LinuxLookup
                  about the person who got Red Hat 7.0 running on his 400, and that was
                  encouraging.

                  Then, in further perusing the Dell site, I saw a page that was
                  advertising an alliance between Dell and Red Hat.
                  http://www.dell.ca/en/hea/topics/linux_000_hardsol.htm

                  Despite the fact that they are touting the alliance, it seems almost
                  impossible to actually buy one of those pre-configured (and therefor
                  supported) machines.

                  Does anyone on the list have any knowledge about this, or an opinion
                  about it? Is running Linux on a Dell machine a nightmare, or a Good
                  Thing?

                  Thanks,

                  Rob Yale
                  --
                  McClear Digital Recording and Post Production Studios
                  Toronto, Canada, http://www.mcclear.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 11, 2000
                    > Is running Linux on a Dell machine a nightmare, or a Good
                    > Thing?

                    I got my Latitude CPx with RH 6.2 preinstalled. I've run into a
                    couple minor bugs, but in general it's worked just fine. Though I
                    have to admit I've been busy enough that I haven't spent as much time
                    with the system as I've wanted to. For example, I don't think I've
                    compiled anything more complicated than "hello, world".

                    Had to educate the salesperson--he didn't know until I pointed him at
                    the web page that you could order with Linux preinstalled.

                    mike
                    --
                    Mike Kupfer kupfer@...
                    Solaris File Sharing Speaking for myself, not for Sun.
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 11, 2000
                      Hi

                      I bought an Inspiron 4000 a couple of weeks ago and I'm pleased with it so
                      far. I'm running Debian woody and almost everything works.

                      Sound doesnt work and the 3COM winmodem doesnt work.

                      I got a linksys ethernet+modem pcmcia card which works fine.

                      bye :)
                      Anmol

                      On Sat, 11 Nov 2000, Rob Yale wrote:

                      > Hello,
                      >
                      > I'm a bit confused. I'm thinking about buying an Inspiron 4000, and
                      > in perusing this list I see quite a bit of woe (with regard to
                      > running Linux on Del Laptops). I read the article in LinuxLookup
                      > about the person who got Red Hat 7.0 running on his 400, and that was
                      > encouraging.
                      >
                      > Then, in further perusing the Dell site, I saw a page that was
                      > advertising an alliance between Dell and Red Hat.
                      > http://www.dell.ca/en/hea/topics/linux_000_hardsol.htm
                      >
                      > Despite the fact that they are touting the alliance, it seems almost
                      > impossible to actually buy one of those pre-configured (and therefor
                      > supported) machines.
                      >
                      > Does anyone on the list have any knowledge about this, or an opinion
                      > about it? Is running Linux on a Dell machine a nightmare, or a Good
                      > Thing?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > Rob Yale
                      > --
                      > McClear Digital Recording and Post Production Studios
                      > Toronto, Canada, http://www.mcclear.com
                      > Tel: 416-977-9740 Cellular: 416-579-9253

                    • scsijon
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 11, 2000
                        Go to the Dell US Site and look for Linux on the Left hand Sidepannel (or
                        search). Basically, as I understand it, they preconfigure the machine for
                        you.

                        scsijon
                        >I'm a bit confused. I'm thinking about buying an Inspiron 4000, and
                        >in perusing this list I see quite a bit of woe (with regard to
                        >running Linux on Del Laptops). I read the article in LinuxLookup
                        >about the person who got Red Hat 7.0 running on his 400, and that was
                        >encouraging.
                        >
                        >Then, in further perusing the Dell site, I saw a page that was
                        >advertising an alliance between Dell and Red Hat.
                        >http://www.dell.ca/en/hea/topics/linux_000_hardsol.htm
                        >
                        >Despite the fact that they are touting the alliance, it seems almost
                        >impossible to actually buy one of those pre-configured (and therefor
                        >supported) machines.
                        >
                        >Does anyone on the list have any knowledge about this, or an opinion
                        >about it? Is running Linux on a Dell machine a nightmare, or a Good
                        >Thing?
                        >
                        >Thanks,
                        >
                        >Rob Yale
                        >--
                        >McClear Digital Recording and Post Production Studios
                        >Toronto, Canada, http://www.mcclear.com
                        >Tel: 416-977-9740 Cellular: 416-579-9253

                      • Enrico Sacchi
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 11, 2000
                          Hi to all,
                          I have an Inspiron 5000e on which I would like to install Linux;
                          on my desktop I have Red Hat 6.2 that works fine but I'm understanding that the Linux
                          installation on the Inspiron 5000e is a little bit critic (at least for
                          a non-expert like me).
                          Can you please suggest me which is the less critical edition of Linux
                          (between RedHat 7.0, Debian, Suse and Mandrake) for this installation?

                          Thanks in advance.

                          Enrico
                        • Rob Yale
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 11, 2000
                            Yes, I believe they are currently only doing that with Latitude
                            machines. As I understand it, that series of Laptops uses older
                            hardware (in Dell-speak; more compatible!) but is more expensive.
                            Also, I'm in Canada, and I don't think I can purchase direct from the
                            US site.

                            Today I was speaking to a rep here in Canada, who told me that as far
                            as they were concerned, the Inspiron, although you can't buy them
                            pre-configured, are all compatible with Red Hat 7.0.

                            I decided to take the plunge and fork over for a Inspiron 4000 PIII
                            700mhz 128 meg of ram, yellow panels, 3Com 10/100 3C900 TPC pc card
                            (I think it's a type II card) 14.1" XGA screen, 8 cell battery, 56k
                            GoldCard Global modem.

                            It's a scary move; I haven't been with out some form of Macintosh
                            since '84. My G3 PowerBook is going to a good home, though!

                            My order doesn't actually go through until Monday, so if anyone out
                            there has any suggestions for how I can put together a better and
                            more compatible system, I'm all ears.

                            Rob Yale

                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 12, 2000
                              Aanhalen Enrico Sacchi <sacchi@...>:

                              > Hi to all,
                              > I have an Inspiron 5000e on which I would like to install Linux;
                              > on my desktop I have Red Hat 6.2 that works fine but I'm understanding
                              > that the Linux
                              > installation on the Inspiron 5000e is a little bit critic (at least for
                              > a non-expert like me).
                              > Can you please suggest me which is the less critical edition of Linux
                              > (between RedHat 7.0, Debian, Suse and Mandrake) for this installation?

                              I had it all running in 2 hours with Mandrake 7.2 (some minnor things not
                              perfect sush as no external sound volume control but sound, video and so on are
                              working).

                            • spitz@docrec.com
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 17, 2000

                                > Does anyone on the list have any knowledge about this, or an opinion
                                > about it? Is running Linux on a Dell machine a nightmare, or a Good
                                > Thing?

                                Somewhere in between. I ordered a Latitude CPx with RH 7.0
                                pre-installed. The machine I received had no boot block. I spent a
                                couple of hours on the phone getting passed from one person who
                                could't understand or handle the problem to another. Finally it was
                                agreed that they would send me another disk with RH 7.0 pre-installed.
                                Again, no boot block.

                                I installed Linux from the supplied CDROMs, but without the
                                configuration information supplied by Dell. I had quite a number of
                                problems that took me many hours to resolve.

                                I have found Redhat's installation support to be almost worthless.
                                They mainly just point their fingers back to Dell. Dell has been quite
                                unresponsive.

                                But after all of the time and effort, I finally have a functional
                                machine. I still lack the Dell configuration files so I fear that if I
                                ever have to re-install, I will have to start over.

                                It is clear to me that Dell is not providing adequate support for
                                Linux machines.
                              • bowill@fas.harvard.edu
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 18, 2000
                                  I appreciate the work Dell has done to try to be more Linux compatible,
                                  and I don't have any serious complaints about installation on my new
                                  Dell Inspiron 4000. As long as you're willing to jump through a couple
                                  of hoops where XF86 is concerned, the 4000 is a good buy. I'm not as
                                  lap-top savy as a lot of other folks, so I haven't tried a lot of the
                                  more difficult stuff, yet (like trying to make the APM stuff work
                                  completely).

                                  If you don't want to have any trouble, go with an Inspiron 7000, which
                                  you can even get with Linux pre-installed.

                                  Cheers,
                                  Brandon

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 18, 2000
                                    Brandon,

                                    Could you please describe those XF86 hoops you alluded to? My
                                    machine arrives Monday or Tuesday. By the way, did you set your
                                    machine up completely Linux, or dual boot?

                                    Rob Yale

                                    --
                                    McClear Digital Recording and Post Production Studios
                                    Toronto, Canada, http://www.mcclear.com
                                    Tel: 416-977-9740 Cellular: 416-579-9253
                                  • Matt Soccio
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 20, 2000
                                      Dell has gotten too big for its britches. We have purchased Dell
                                      machines exclusively in our department for well over a year now, and
                                      until recently have been satisfied with their service and support. I
                                      could not get them to give me the monitor refresh rates for the last
                                      two laptops that we configured, instead I got a generic auto reply
                                      email that pointed me to Red Hat's site. Any time I call now, I get
                                      shuffled around and have to choose between paying for a one time
                                      service because we do not let Dell set linux up for us, or keep
                                      plugging away on the net looking for info. If you have found this
                                      site, you can most likely solve your problems without the headache of
                                      dealing with Dell's subpar support regime. Dell makes good products,
                                      but they have sold too many of them to adequately support them all.
                                      If
                                      you cannot find your answers here, check:

                                      http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/

                                      There is a wealth of info, and although you will still spend hours
                                      working on the laptop, it won't be as frustrating as dealing with
                                      Dell.

                                      Good Luck

                                    • bowill@fas.harvard.edu
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 22, 2000
                                        Rob:

                                        I set it up dual boot. It's got WinME on it, so I had to make a
                                        floppy in order to boot into pseudo-DOS in order to run fips, but
                                        that was the biggest problem associated with shrinking the
                                        partition. One important point of note: I made that mistake of
                                        saying, "Oh, look, they didn't use the entire hard-drive. There's
                                        this big chunk at the front that wasn't formatted." Oops, that chunk
                                        is wanted by the hibernate feature, which was broken when I took it
                                        over to use as my Linux swap partition! I still have to go back in
                                        and fix it.

                                        As far as the XF86 hoops, I'm better off directing you to the various
                                        sources where I got my information. This lap top has the same video
                                        card as the 5000e, and I found all the information that I needed for
                                        getting X set up in various posts here and on the "Linux on Laptops"
                                        website, all of which related to the 5000e. To my knowledge, no-one
                                        has done a comprehensive Inspiron 4000 installation howto. The main
                                        thing, in relation to X, is that you will need to be running XF86
                                        4.0.1 along with the most up-to-date video driver for the ATI-Rage
                                        128 series. Check out some of the other posts here, and some of the
                                        stuff that's in the file library, for information about X setup on
                                        the 5000e and you'll be good to go.

                                        Let me know ho it goes!!