[linux-dell-laptops] Re: Dell Inspiron 7000 and Linux

  • Kevin Maciunas
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 25 5:12 PM
      lx@... wrote:

      > Hi:
      >
      > I'm trying to setup Redhat 6.0 on a Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop that has
      > a "ATI RAGE Mobility P 3D" video card. I couldn't find the right X
      > server package from the Redhat 6.0 installation CD. I tried to use
      > Unlisted Card->VGA, Unlisted card->SVGA and Unlisted card->Mono. None
      > of them works for me (I can see sort of GUI after startx but no good).
      > It would be appreciated if someone could help me to setup X correctly
      > with this ATI video card.
      >
      > BTW, how to install/change X server package without re-install the
      > whole Linux? If I start Xconfigurator and pick up another video card
      > (X server package?), Xconfiguator will be terminated with a message
      > like "Server doesn't exist, can't continue. tried to use
      > ../../usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_VGA16". I'm new in Linux.
      >
      > Please response by e-mail. Thank you in advance.
      >
      > L.

      > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/linux-dell-laptops

      I have Mandrake 6.1 (which is RH derived) operational:

      I needed to choose the "fb" kernel - this was 2.2.13-7mdkfb on the Mandrake
      dist. Choose the XFree "ATI" version and hey presto it works. You need
      XFree 3.3.5, I'm told, for this to work. The Frame Buffer support is also
      required - you may need to add a vga=791 line in the lilo.conf file.

      Let me know if this doesn't get it up!

      /Kevin