Re: Processor speed question

  • Palager
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2002
      I know with the Inspiron 8000 (which I have), there is a setting in
      the bios for maximum battery life or maximum performance... also you
      could turn off speed step in the bios

      --palager

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "awsullivan78" <awsullivan78@y...> wrote:
      > I have a Dell Inspirion 8100 with a 1GHz proccessor and 512 MB Ram.
      > I understand that the processor speed can vary based on whether your
      > laptop is plugged in or not. However, my laptop speed is
      > consistently always in the mid 700's. Never at or near 1GHz even
      > when it is plugged in which is most of the time. Is there a setting
      > I need to change in order to get maximum performance?
      >
      > TIA
      >
      > Anthony
    • Angelika
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2002

        got an i8k, A17, but I have the option "smart CPU mode". This will make
        your cpu go slower when there's not much to do and speed up once there's
        more stuff to calculate. This also helps saving battery and keeping the
        temperature low. Maybe you've got that one turned on. In my bios it says
        this is enabled by default.

        Maybe that's keeping the frequency down (IMHO, this is a useful option
        though since it does not really slow you down),
        Cheers,
        Angelika.

        At 14:24 03.06.2002 +0000, you wrote:
        >I have a Dell Inspirion 8100 with a 1GHz proccessor and 512 MB Ram.
        >I understand that the processor speed can vary based on whether your
        >laptop is plugged in or not. However, my laptop speed is
        >consistently always in the mid 700's. Never at or near 1GHz even
        >when it is plugged in which is most of the time. Is there a setting
        >I need to change in order to get maximum performance?
        >
        >TIA
        >
        >Anthony

      • Paul
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2002
          The settings are configurable through the BIOS. Keep in mind that
          higher CPU speeds are supposed to burn more power.

          > I have a Dell Inspirion 8100 with a 1GHz proccessor and 512 MB Ram.
          > I understand that the processor speed can vary based on whether your
          > laptop is plugged in or not. However, my laptop speed is
          > consistently always in the mid 700's. Never at or near 1GHz even
          > when it is plugged in which is most of the time. Is there a setting
          > I need to change in order to get maximum performance?
        • Demosthenes
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 5, 2002
            The BIOS on my 8200 laptop advises on the side in the notes section that
            'automatic' and 'maximum battery' options only work with the Intel Speed
            Step Application - otherwise the CPU runs at full pelt.

            No wonder no performance drop is noticed!

            On Tue, 2002-06-04 at 09:02, Paul wrote: The settings are configurable