I8000 & Ge Force 2 Go

  • uf_gator_surfer
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2002
      In addition to the previous post I had, about the error after
      typing "startx", I also have another error that I don't understand.
      During the booting process, there is an error that says, "Syntax
      Error: Unexpected End of File in etc/rc.d/rc.modules line 18" I
      checked the file out and line 18 is "done/sbin/modprove NVdriver"
      I'm clueless, but maybe this will help someone answer the question I
      asked in the previous post. thanks!
    • Ron W. Auld
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2002
        Sounds like you have one or more files in MS-DOS text format,
        i.e. - with CRLF's. Try the dos2unix command on the file(s)
        with the ^M's in them.

        Ron...

        uf_gator_surfer wrote:

        > I just reinstalled LM 8.2 on my Inspiron 8000 and can't get X
        > configured. I downloaded the GLX and kernel tar files from Nvidia,
        > installed them successfully, added "options NVdriver NVreg_mobile=1"
        > to modules.conf and replaced my old XF86Config-4 file with one of the
        > two files found in the files section. I rebooted, logged in as root,
        > and typed startx. It gave the following error:
        >
        > Parse error on linke 15 of Section Files in
        > file /etc/X11/XFConfig-4, "ENDSECTION^M" is not a valid keyword
        > in this section.
        >
        > (EE)Problem parsing the config file
        > (EE)Error from xf86HandleConfigFile()
        >
        > Fatal Server Error:
        > No Screens found
        >
        > I checked the config file, and there is no "^M"
        > following "ENDSECTION" in the files section of the XF86config-4. I
        > don't know what to do, please help!

      • Joe Testa
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2002
          Or be daring:

          vi XF86Config-4
          :1,$ s/<CTRL>V<CTRL>M//g
          :wq

          vi is your friend :)

          joe

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2002
            I tried the vi command on my XF86Confiq-4 file, but the pattern "^M"
            was not found anywhere in the file. As for the dos2unix command, I
            don't really understand how to use it, and what do you mean when you
            say I have multiple txt files, how could that be possible?

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Joe Testa <jtesta@d...> wrote:
            > Or be daring:
            >
            > vi XF86Config-4
            > :1,$ s/<CTRL>V<CTRL>M//g
            > :wq
            >
            > vi is your friend :)
            >
            > joe
            >

            > Ron W. Auld wrote:
            >
            > > Sounds like you have one or more files in MS-DOS text format,
            > > i.e. - with CRLF's. Try the dos2unix command on the file(s)
            > > with the ^M's in them.
            > >
            > > Ron...
            > >
            > > uf_gator_surfer wrote:
            > >
            > > > I just reinstalled LM 8.2 on my Inspiron 8000 and can't get X
            > > > configured. I downloaded the GLX and kernel tar files from
            Nvidia,
            > > > installed them successfully, added "options NVdriver
            NVreg_mobile=1"
            > > > to modules.conf and replaced my old XF86Config-4 file with one
            of the
            > > > two files found in the files section. I rebooted, logged in as
            root,
            > > > and typed startx. It gave the following error:
            > > >
            > > > Parse error on linke 15 of Section Files in
            > > > file /etc/X11/XFConfig-4, "ENDSECTION^M" is not a valid
            keyword
            > > > in this section.
            > > >
            > > > (EE)Problem parsing the config file
            > > > (EE)Error from xf86HandleConfigFile()
            > > >
            > > > Fatal Server Error:
            > > > No Screens found
            > > >
            > > > I checked the config file, and there is no "^M"
            > > > following "ENDSECTION" in the files section of the XF86config-
            4. I
            > > > don't know what to do, please help!

            Service
            > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
          • Ron W. Auld
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2002
              Try 'man dos2unix'.

              For the impatient:
              cd /etc/X11
              dos2unix XFConfig-4

              That should do it!

              The reason I mentioned the multiple possibility is in case you D/L'ed
              other files that could possibly be in DOS format. If you fix XFConfig-4
              as above and don't get any more errors then your OK.

              Ron...