Re: i8100 and RedHat 7.3

  • scottseagroves
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30, 2002
      Nothing particularly unique about my XF86Config-4, considering I
      basically copied one from another list-member. Hope he doesn't mind
      me reposting his site:
      http://www.rm-r.net/~meff/i8200
      You can look at his XF86Config-4 or any number of other ones kept in
      the "files" section of this list.
      I think if your syslog is showing "no valid screen settings" then that
      probably means you don't have good HorizSync and VertRefresh settings.
      Everybody seems to use slightly different values but anyone's working
      XF86Config-4 should get you started.

      The source RPMs are where all the other RPMs are:
      http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=linux
      GLX source is near the top, kernel source way at the bottom.

      Yes, the GLX driver replaces some files provided by, I believe, a MESA
      RPM. This is discussed in the Nvidia FAQ in the readme that comes
      with the drivers (and is also at
      http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86_40/1.0-2960/README.txt). The
      bottom line is that you don't worry about it.

      best wishes,
      Scott

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "jameskodak" <jameskodak@y...> wrote:
      > Scott,
      >
      > where the source RPM's the srpm for i386? I haven't tried
      installing
      > with those yet. I et no errors when installing the driver rpm, but
      > the GLX driver does indicate a conflicting file, but seems to
      recover
      > by renaming it. I think my problem is in the XF86 config files.
      It
      > states I have no valid screen setting thus X can not start.
      Although

    • ronin2@bellatlantic.net
      Message 2 of 6 , May 30, 2002
        Many things can cause the "no valid screen settings" message. For example
        if my nvidia driver doesn't load and initialize properly (for whatever
        reason) I get that message. It's a catchall message that means "there's
        some reason the X server can't write to the screen".

        --
        Kevin McKinley