Re: [linux-dell-laptops] 1600x1200 on Inspiron 5000e (my own struggles... with logs)

  • Ken Smolek
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2000
      Chris,

      Try setting
      VertRefresh 50-62
      HorizSync 28-90
      in your monitor section; your output indicates that they
      are set to
      VertRefresh 60-90
      HorizSync 30-60
      My system (also 1600x1200) works fine at both 16 and 24 bpp under
      both Linux 2.2.13 and 2.2.17.

      Ken

      Christopher Smith wrote:

      > So, I've tried just about every combination I could think of. I've tried downloading the files provided on the egroups page. I've tried a variety of XF86Config files both of my own creation, from the
      > site, and those that people have sent me.
      >
      > NO DICE.
      >
      > I always end up with a nice looking 1024x768 screen, rather than a 1600x1200 screen.
      >
      > So, I've logged the behavior. Please find attached to logs of what X pumps out when I start out. It appears as though the source of my misery is the DDC detection of my LCD's horizontal refresh rate.
      > Should I just disable DDC (and if so how does one do that)?
      >
      > What I can't understand is why everyone else ISN'T having these problems. Sigh.
      >
      > --Chris

      > Name: xlog.txt
      > xlog.txt Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
      > Encoding: 7bit
      >
      > Name: xlog2.txt
      > xlog2.txt Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
      > Encoding: 7bit
    • Christopher Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2000
        --On Friday, November 03, 2000 2:42 PM -0800 Ken Smolek <kes@...>
        wrote:
        > Try setting
        > VertRefresh 50-62
        > HorizSync 28-90
        > in your monitor section; your output indicates that they
        > are set to
        > VertRefresh 60-90
        > HorizSync 30-60
        > My system (also 1600x1200) works fine at both 16 and 24 bpp under
        > both Linux 2.2.13 and 2.2.17.

        Umm... I *DO* have those exact settings. That was my point, DDC is
        detecting those settings from the panel and overriding them. I'm not sure
        what the magic is that is causing me to get DDC while everyone else is
        happy, but that's the way it is.

        --Chris
      • wtcorrea@cs.princeton.edu
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2000
          Chris,

          Have you tried Jeff Lessem's files? They worked for me:

          http://x72.deja.com/%5bST_rn=ap]/getdoc.xp?AN=670357609&CONTEXT=96957509
          4.1977810962&hitnum=1

          Wagner