[linux-dell-laptops] Re: RH 6 on a Dell Latitude CPt

  • Neil
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 26, 1999
      On Fri, 25 Jun 1999 21:12:35 GMT, you wrote:

      >Hey all...I just got my hands on a new Dell Latitude CPt. It's a Celeron
      >333a, 192
      >MB, and using the NeoMagic 256ZX for video. It also has a 3Com/Megahertz
      >3c574BT 10/100 PCMCIA card. I'm trying to get Red Hat 6.0 up and totally
      >happy on it. Problems:

      is that card different from the 256's shipped with cpi 300's ? The 256 with
      those models works fine with x 3.3.3 drivers.

      DHCP is easyish. You can set it upfrom the gnome control panel. in RH.

      As for the ethernet card, try the latest PCMICA package.

      As for sound, urm, I can't get it to work either.

      Neil

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/linux-dell-laptops
    • itn@internetezy.com.au
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 1999
        I have spent the last 12 hours trying to get an identical machine to do
        the same thing. I am experiencing exactly the same problems. Do you
        have any update or progress??? HELPPP!

        <of878ced16.4fc930fd-on8625679b.00746c8-@...> wrote:
        =11
        > Hey all...I just got my hands on a new Dell Latitude CPt. It's a
        Celeron
        > 333a, 192
        > MB, and using the NeoMagic 256ZX for video. It also has a
        3Com/Megahertz
        > 3c574BT 10/100 PCMCIA card. I'm trying to get Red Hat 6.0 up and
        totally
        > happy on it. Problems:
        >
        > - The SVGA server doesn't play nicely with the 256ZX. I
        downloaded the
        > binary-only beta NeoMagic server from Precision Insight's FTP, and
        that
        > will at
        > least give me video, but it looks like 320x200 or so, and that's
        it...I can
        > see like
        > the middle 50% of the GNOME splash screen, and you can't get it to
        pan to
        > the
        > rest of the screen. On starting up the X server, it seems the server
        > thinks I have
        > 64k of video ram (when I have 4 MB).
        >
        > - The pcmcia package that ships with RH 6 is earlier than 3.0.0,
        which
        > is the
        > first version to include a driver (admittedly flaky) for the 3c574. I
        > downloaded
        > 3.0.13 and built and installed that. I think the driver is being
        loaded
        > now, since
        > doing an insmod on the 3c574 driver says that it's already in.
        However, I
        > have
        > no net access...if nothing else, because I also need to get DHCP up
        and
        > running
        > (which I know squat about). The dhcpcd package is installed, but I
        don't
        > know
        > how to use it yet...just running it has it sitting there and timing
        out
        > after a
        > minute or so. (I'll look out for a DHCP howto to try to get a clue
        here)

        > - I don't know if this is normal, but I couldn't install off of
        the
        > CD-ROM...I
        > booted up, and when it asks for the CD, I have to pull the floppy
        drive to
        > swap in
        > the CD-ROM, and the RH installer isn't aware of the drive after it is
        > swapped in.
        > I ended up having to copy the CD to a separate FAT partition and
        installing
        > off
        > of that. I originally intended to do a normal FTP install, but I
        couldn't
        > do that, as
        > the RH 6 installer and PCMCIA support disk don't support the 574.
        >
        > So, basically, I need to know:
        >
        > - Is it possible to get X working on this bugger?
        > - How do I get pcmcia 3.0.13 and dhcpcd working and playing nicely
        > together?
        > - Also, does anyone know about support for this laptop's NeoMagic
        > MagicMedia 256 sound?
        >
        > Inquiring minds want to know :) There are about 150 of us new hires
        who
        > are
        > being issued this exact configuration, and a good handful of us are
        > interested in
        > getting Linux working on it. (just having NT leaves me feeling so
        naked!)

        > Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Corbett J. Klempay
        > (512) 685-4193 / corbett.klempay@...
        > http://www.acm.jhu.edu/~cklempay

      • Corbett J. Klempay
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 7, 1999
          No progress; as far as I know, there is still no support for this video
          chipset under X.

          ---
          Corbett J. Klempay
          Trilogy Software, Inc.
          512.685.4193 (W) | 512.750.1372 (C)
          corbett.klempay@...

        • Michael Overvold
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 8, 1999
            I have a Latitude 366 CPiA that uses the 256 chipset
            also. I got an XF86Config file from Chuck Boeheim
            that allows 1024x768. You might want to try it. HEre
            it is.

            Mike Overvold

            --- "Corbett J. Klempay" <corbett.klempay@...>