dvd playback on i8200 w/ nvidia card

  • Stephen Lau
    Message 1 of 17 , May 20, 2002
      I have a friend who just got a new Inspiron 8200 w/ the Geforce card, and is
      experiencing choppy DVD playback using videolan, mplayer, and ogle. Does
      anyone have smooth playback running, and if so - would you mind posting your
      XF86Config-4 and any other relevant info?

      -steve
      --
      stephen lau :: [ldl@...] :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
      http://www.whacked.net/oss/ldl
      Message 2 of 17 , May 20, 2002
        Hi Steve,

        I'm having problems with this as well. I haven't really looked into the
        problem yet (the laptop only arrived a week ago! :-), but I think it's
        connected with the DVD drive rather than X. In the past, I've had
        choppy performance issues with my desktop playing DVDs, and I fixed it
        by enabling DMA access on the DVD drive (I found the suggestion in the
        ogle documentation). I tried the same trick with the laptop, but it
        didn't work. Apparently, the DVD drive is using something which thinks
        it's a SCSI driver and the IDE tools can't adjust it.

        Sorry for the sketchy info - I don't have my laptop with me at the
        moment, so I can't give you more details. I'm using RH 7.3, and haven't
        got around to tinkering with things very much yet.

        --
        Jonathan Merritt

        >I have a friend who just got a new Inspiron 8200 w/ the Geforce card, and is
        >experiencing choppy DVD playback using videolan, mplayer, and ogle. Does
        >anyone have smooth playback running, and if so - would you mind posting your
        >XF86Config-4 and any other relevant info?
        >
        >-steve

      • Rodney _meff_ Gordon II
        Message 3 of 17 , May 21, 2002
          Not the card's fault.

          My Samsung doesn't have any drive cache, I dunno if your drive is the
          same or not. Also, I have firmware hacked my drive and made it RPC1
          DVD region-free.

          To get it nice and smooth, use mplayer with the (mentioned in docs!!)
          -cache option, I usually set it to 16384.

          Stephen Lau (ldl@...) wrote:
          > I have a friend who just got a new Inspiron 8200 w/ the Geforce card, and is
          > experiencing choppy DVD playback using videolan, mplayer, and ogle. Does
          > anyone have smooth playback running, and if so - would you mind posting your
          > XF86Config-4 and any other relevant info?
          >
          > -steve
          > --
          > stephen lau :: [ldl@...] :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
          > http://www.whacked.net/oss/ldl

          Rodney "meff" Gordon II - meff@...

          -->
          Good night, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are.
        • mchristoph.eckert@t-online.de
          Message 4 of 17 , May 21, 2002
            Am Dienstag, 21. Mai 2002 03:26 schrieb Jonathan Merritt:
            [...]

            > I've had choppy performance
            > issues with my desktop playing DVDs, and I fixed it by
            > enabling DMA access on the DVD drive (I found the
            > suggestion in the ogle documentation). I tried the same
            > trick with the laptop, but it didn't work. Apparently, the
            > DVD drive is using something which thinks it's a SCSI
            > driver and the IDE tools can't adjust it.

            Hi,

            I didn't manage yet to install a DVD-player properly.
            But if your drive is a combo drive with CD-R, it usually works
            with SCSI-emulation on. And then, AFAIK, the hdparm doesn't
            work ;-(.

            Does anybody have better news?

            Gruß

            ce

            ======
            Installation von SuSE 8.0 auf einem Dell Inspiron 8200
            http://home.t-online.de/home/mchristoph.eckert/inspiron8200/
            ======
          • Rodney _meff_ Gordon II
            Message 5 of 17 , May 21, 2002
              The linux ide-scsi layer translates to atapi on the fly.
              Whatever hdparm settings you make to the drive, affect it whether you
              access it by a scsi emu device or a real atapi dev.

              mchristoph.eckert@... (mchristoph.eckert@...) wrote:
              > Am Dienstag, 21. Mai 2002 03:26 schrieb Jonathan Merritt:
              > [...]
              >
              > > I've had choppy performance
              > > issues with my desktop playing DVDs, and I fixed it by
              > > enabling DMA access on the DVD drive (I found the
              > > suggestion in the ogle documentation). I tried the same
              > > trick with the laptop, but it didn't work. Apparently, the
              > > DVD drive is using something which thinks it's a SCSI
              > > driver and the IDE tools can't adjust it.
              >
              > Hi,
              >
              > I didn't manage yet to install a DVD-player properly.
              > But if your drive is a combo drive with CD-R, it usually works
              > with SCSI-emulation on. And then, AFAIK, the hdparm doesn't
              > work ;-(.
              >
              > Does anybody have better news?
              >

              > Gru?
              >
              > ce
              >

              > ======
              > Installation von SuSE 8.0 auf einem Dell Inspiron 8200
              > http://home.t-online.de/home/mchristoph.eckert/inspiron8200/
              > ======

              Rodney "meff" Gordon II - meff@...

              -->
              "I got a question for ya. Ya got a minute?"
              -- two programmers passing in the hall
            • j_hirschorn
              Message 6 of 17 , May 22, 2002
                I have an I8000 with a Geforce 2Go card, and found DVD's to be
                unwatchable with videolan, mplayer and ogle. The mplayer docs
                indicate that the NVidia cards are the most problematic for DVD
                playback. Dell's player WinDVD is poor (occasional pauses) but
                watchable. Xine (for linux) is the best of them. Btw,performance
                seems to greatly improve (occasional dropped frames -> 0 dropped
                frames) when I tried using kernel OSS support for the maestro3
                sound card instead of ALSA.

                HTH,
                James

                --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <ldl@g...> wrote:
                > I have a friend who just got a new Inspiron 8200 w/ the Geforce
                card, and is
                > experiencing choppy DVD playback using videolan, mplayer, and
                ogle. Does
                > anyone have smooth playback running, and if so - would you mind
                posting your
                > XF86Config-4 and any other relevant info?
                >
                > -steve
                > --
                > stephen lau :: [ldl@g...] :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
                > http://www.whacked.net/oss/ldl
              • craigos_au
                Message 7 of 17 , May 26, 2002
                  Hi Rodney,

                  This caching doesn't stop the skips on my 8200, is there some other
                  drive option that you are using as well? (I have the combined DVD/CDRW
                  drive).

                  Thanks,

                  Craig

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  Message 8 of 17 , May 26, 2002
                    I should be more explicit, it doesn't matter how high I make the
                    buffer (-cache), it still has small pauses with every read of the dvd
                    :(( (e.g. the HD light flickers in sync with the pauses.)

                    Any solutions?

                    One small note, I did override the compile block in mplayer (they
                    don't support GCC 2.96, and I really didn't want to go changing my
                    compiler).

                    Craig

                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "craigos_au" <craig@u...> wrote:
                    > Hi Rodney,
                    >
                    > This caching doesn't stop the skips on my 8200, is there some other
                    > drive option that you are using as well? (I have the combined DVD/CDRW
                    > drive).
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Craig
                    >
                    > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Rodney _meff_ Gordon II <meff@p...>
                    wrote:
                    > > Not the card's fault.
                    > >
                    > > My Samsung doesn't have any drive cache, I dunno if your drive is the
                    > > same or not. Also, I have firmware hacked my drive and made it RPC1
                    > > DVD region-free.
                    > >
                    > > To get it nice and smooth, use mplayer with the (mentioned in docs!!)
                    > > -cache option, I usually set it to 16384.
                    > >
                    > > Stephen Lau (ldl@g...) wrote:
                    > > > I have a friend who just got a new Inspiron 8200 w/ the Geforce
                    > card, and is
                    > > > experiencing choppy DVD playback using videolan, mplayer, and
                    > ogle. Does
                    > > > anyone have smooth playback running, and if so - would you mind
                    > posting your
                    > > > XF86Config-4 and any other relevant info?
                    > > >
                    > > > -steve
                    > > > --
                    > > > stephen lau :: [ldl@g...] :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
                    > > > http://www.whacked.net/oss/ldl

                    > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                    > > >

                    > > --
                    > > Rodney "meff" Gordon II - meff@p...
                    > >
                    > > -->
                    > > Good night, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are.
                  • Mike Hicks
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 26, 2002
                      On Mon, 2002-05-20 at 19:09, Stephen Lau wrote:
                      > I have a friend who just got a new Inspiron 8200 w/ the Geforce card, and is
                      > experiencing choppy DVD playback using videolan, mplayer, and ogle. Does
                      > anyone have smooth playback running, and if so - would you mind posting your
                      > XF86Config-4 and any other relevant info?

                      In my experience, choppy DVD playback is usually caused by (U)DMA being
                      turned off on the drive. You can do `hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc' to fix it.

                      --
                      _ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ ___ _ _ __ I'm a nobody. Nobody is
                      / \/ \(_)| ' // ._\ / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__ perfect. Therefore I'm
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 26, 2002
                        Hello,

                        > I have an I8000 with a Geforce 2Go card, and found DVD's to be
                        > unwatchable with videolan, mplayer and ogle. The mplayer docs

                        Did you try option -ao sdl? It might help.

                        TJ
                      • questforme
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 2, 2002
                          Anybody got this fixed? I've tried Xine, Ogle, and Mplayer. The best
                          of these is Xine, video plays fine but intermittent audio drop outs
                          that are almost unnoticable but appear on the Xine log. I'm using a
                          I8200 with the 24X CDRW/8X DVD on Gentoo 1.4(gcc 3.2) and KDE 3.03.
                          I've tried all sorts of tricks like scsi emulation, hdparm(yes, DMA is
                          activated), and many other little ones that I've lost track of.

                          Kent

                          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Domsalla, Thorsten"
                          <thorsten.domsalla@s...> wrote:
                          > Hello,
                          >
                          > > I have an I8000 with a Geforce 2Go card, and found DVD's to be
                          > > unwatchable with videolan, mplayer and ogle. The mplayer docs
                          >
                          > Did you try option -ao sdl? It might help.
                          >
                          > TJ
                        • Rodney Gordon II
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 3, 2002
                            All of the players you have listed work fine in linux on my system.
                            Please refer to http://www.pobox.com/~meff/i8200/ for information on
                            setting up DMA on your CDRW/DVD drive and mknod, etc.. information for
                            doing such using devfs. Your XF86Config-4 should look similar to mine.

                            -r

                            --
                            Rodney "meff" Gordon II - meff@...

                            -->
                            MATH AND ALCOHOL DON'T MIX!
                            Please, don't drink and derive.

                            Mathematicians
                            Against
                            Drunk
                            Deriving
                          • intrader
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 3, 2002
                              Sorry that you are having this problem. I definitelly did not expect all
                              these problem with the programs distributed for Linux. It is attrocious
                              that you would have to hunt around for DVD stuff.
                              This should work without a hitch.

                              Thanks for listening

                              On Mon, 2002-09-02 at 20:05, questforme wrote: Anybody got this fixed?

                              <thorsten.domsalla@s...> wrote:
                              > Hello,
                              >
                              > > I have an I8000 with a Geforce 2Go card, and found DVD's to be
                              > > unwatchable with videolan, mplayer and ogle. The mplayer docs
                              >
                              > Did you try option -ao sdl? It might help.
                              >
                              > TJ

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            • questforme
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 3, 2002
                                Ironically I did use your guide for my Laptop. I noticed that your
                                combo drive is a Samsung and I have the Hitachi/LG variant and I also
                                notice you have the 40GB Hard Drive where as I have the 60GB version.
                                I beginning to think it's a problem with the combo drive, not a
                                defect, but just something that's different about it that's keeping it
                                from playing correctly. I went to support.dell.com to investigate
                                fruther and found a some other people in my situation(only in Windows,
                                not Linux) with choppy video.

                                Kent

                                --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Rodney Gordon II <meff@p...> wrote:
                                > All of the players you have listed work fine in linux on my system.
                                > Please refer to http://www.pobox.com/~meff/i8200/ for information on
                                > setting up DMA on your CDRW/DVD drive and mknod, etc.. information for
                                > doing such using devfs. Your XF86Config-4 should look similar to mine.
                                >
                                > -r
                                >
                                > questforme (questforme@y...) wrote:
                                > > Anybody got this fixed? I've tried Xine, Ogle, and Mplayer. The best
                                > > of these is Xine, video plays fine but intermittent audio drop outs
                                > > that are almost unnoticable but appear on the Xine log. I'm using a
                                > > I8200 with the 24X CDRW/8X DVD on Gentoo 1.4(gcc 3.2) and KDE 3.03.
                                > > I've tried all sorts of tricks like scsi emulation, hdparm(yes, DMA is
                                > > activated), and many other little ones that I've lost track of.
                                > >
                                > > Kent
                                > >

                                > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Domsalla, Thorsten"
                                > > <thorsten.domsalla@s...> wrote:
                                > > > Hello,

                                > > > Did you try option -ao sdl? It might help.
                                > > >
                                > > > TJ
                                > >

                                > --
                                > Rodney "meff" Gordon II - meff@p...
                                >
                                > -->
                                > MATH AND ALCOHOL DON'T MIX!
                                > Please, don't drink and derive.
                                >
                                > Mathematicians
                                > Against
                                > Drunk
                                > Deriving
                              • Mike Hicks
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 3, 2002
                                  On Tue, 2002-09-03 at 11:03, intrader wrote:
                                  > Sorry that you are having this problem. I definitelly did not expect all
                                  > these problem with the programs distributed for Linux. It is attrocious
                                  > that you would have to hunt around for DVD stuff.
                                  > This should work without a hitch.

                                  Well, considering that people are being sued for millions and thrown in
                                  jail for writing DVD decoding software, I think it's pretty easy to get
                                  going.

                                  Just one of many stories:
                                  http://www.2600.com/news/display.shtml?id=1289

                                  --
                                  _ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ ___ _ _ __ Dinner not ready: (A)bort
                                  / \/ \(_)| ' // ._\ / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__ (R)etry (P)izza
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 3, 2002
                                    How sowa M$ do it. XP installs and plays without a hitch. The whole thing including all control buttons, everything.
                                    What is needed? I think we need some group to take the desktop Linux and get it playing as well.

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 3, 2002
                                      Hmm.

                                      Make sure that you have hdparm'ed the drive up.. run it again and check
                                      to make sure everything changed...

                                      Do a 'hdparm -i /dev/hdb' and paste your results here, should look
                                      similar to this:

                                      meff@falcon:~$ sudo hdparm -i /dev/hdb

                                      /dev/hdb:

                                      Model=Samsung CD-RW/DVD-ROM SN-308B, FwRev=E005, SerialNo=
                                      Config={ Fixed Removeable DTR<=5Mbs DTR>10Mbs nonMagnetic }
                                      RawCHS=0/0/0, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=0
                                      BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=0kB, MaxMultSect=0
                                      (maybe): CurCHS=0/0/0, CurSects=0, LBA=yes, LBAsects=0
                                      IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
                                      PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
                                      DMA modes: sdma0 sdma1 sdma2 mdma0 mdma1 *mdma2
                                      AdvancedPM=no
                                      Drive conforms to: ATA-3 X3T13 2008D revision 7 and 7a: 2 3

                                      If it works fine in windows, its for sure a issue with interfacing it in
                                      linux.

                                      Make sure you've tried mplayer as 'mplayer -dvd 1 -vo sdl'

                                      GL.

                                      --
                                      Rodney "meff" Gordon II - meff@...

                                      -->
                                      "For the man who has everything... Penicillin."
                                      -- F. Borquin