RE: [linux-dell-laptops] Xinerama - multi-head

  • Puttkammer, Roman
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 3, 2000
      i posted some info about this earlier on this list. check out the archives.
      if inspiron3800 also uses ATI rage pro mobility, then you can either use
      LCD or external monitor, not both at the same time (with xfree4). don't
      know about tv out.

    • Max R. Andersen
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 3, 2000
        On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Puttkammer, Roman wrote:

        > i posted some info about this earlier on this list. check out the archives.
        > if inspiron3800 also uses ATI rage pro mobility, then you can either use
        > LCD or external monitor, not both at the same time (with xfree4). don't
        > know about tv out.

        I have searched the archive for Xinerama but with no luck.

        Here is what I know:

        1) TV-out is not supported (but is planned to be in the future)
        2) The README.ati file states that if the driver detects that both
        internal and external is activated at startup the ati driver will send the
        signal on both.

        But on Inspiron 3800 I have not found how to start the computer with both
        monitors active :(

        Max R. Andersen (max@...)
      • Puttkammer, Roman
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 3, 2000
          > But on Inspiron 3800 I have not found how to start the
          > computer with both
          > monitors active :(

          try the bios. and please, let me know if you get it to work.
        • Max R. Andersen
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 4, 2000
            On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Puttkammer, Roman wrote:

            > > But on Inspiron 3800 I have not found how to start the
            > > computer with both
            > > monitors active :(
            >
            > try the bios. and please, let me know if you get it to work.

            I have looked in the bios on my inspiron 3800 - but have not found
            anything related to the display except settings for power saving settings.

            What should the name be for the option ?

            Max R. Andersen (max@...)
          • Nick Wilson
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 11, 2000
              Im about to install redhat 7 as a last resort because every other version i try doesnt support my ati 128 in my laptop and i cant configure X, does redhat support it and is it easy to sonfigure?

            • mc_ewans@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 11, 2000
                --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Nick Wilson"
                <NWilson_711@h...> wrote:
                > Im about to install redhat 7 as a last resort because every other
                version i try doesnt support my ati 128 in my laptop and i cant
                configure X, does redhat support it and is it easy to sonfigure?

                It is hard to answer your question since you even didn't mention the
                model of your laptop... Assuming that you have 5000e, the answer would
                be YES. I reckon other models should run Redhat 7.0 without any
                problems as well.
              • Nick Wilson
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 11, 2000
                  sorry about that, yes i have the 5000e, also do they have good pcmcia support becayse i wanna use my cable modem with linux.
                  thanx
                  nick
                  > Im about to install redhat 7 as a last resort because every other
                  version i try doesnt support my ati 128 in my laptop and i cant
                  configure X, does redhat support it and is it easy to sonfigure?

                  It is hard to answer your question since you even didn't mention the
                  model of your laptop... Assuming that you have 5000e, the answer would
                  be YES. I reckon other models should run Redhat 7.0 without any
                  problems as well.

                • Marc Fellman
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 11, 2000
                    Aanhalen Nick Wilson <NWilson_711@...>:

                    > sorry about that, yes i have the 5000e, also do they have good pcmcia
                    > support becayse i wanna use my cable modem with linux.
                    > thanx
                    > nick

                    Depends on yoor PCMCIA card. I have tried the Xircom RBEM56G-100 and that one
                    didn work that well and I switched to sepperat cards for modem and Ethernet. You
                    best bet is looking in the supported-cards list in your PCMCIA directorie under
                    src or doc.

                    M.Vr.Gr.

                    Marc Fellman

                    Dit bericht werd verzonden met behulp van IMP: fellsoft.homeip.net
                  • Nick Wilson
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 11, 2000
                      Thanx alot, just one more question, when i set up X what hould i tell it i have, like a rage 128,1024x768, stuff like that.
                      -nick

                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 11, 2000
                        Can you help me to configure X, with the 5000e do you know good settings that work?
                        -nick

                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 11, 2000
                          Aanhalen Nick Wilson <NWilson_711@...>:

                          > Can you help me to configure X, with the 5000e do you know good settings
                          > that work?

                          I have the i5ke with the 1024x768 screen. It works at this moment with 16bit
                          color. I wil probably try the 24 bit color setting soon. It is out of the box
                          Mandrake with FBdev (vga=791). BTW: This is the mandrake that is downloadable
                          from the Internet with loads of goodies. You heve to try some resolutions and in
                          the worst case have to reboot a view times. The configuring tool that workd best
                          was XFdrake.

                          The attached Config file could work for you as wel. X version = 4.0.1 and as
                          told I use the Fbdev kernel.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 12, 2000
                            Aanhalen Nick Wilson <NWilson_711@...>:

                            > Can you help me to configure X, with the 5000e do you know good settings
                            > that work?

                            I have the i5ke with the 1024x768 screen. It works at this moment with 16bit
                            color. I wil probably try the 24 bit color setting soon. It is out of the box
                            Mandrake with FBdev (vga=791). BTW: This is the mandrake that is downloadable
                            from the Internet with loads of goodies. You heve to try some resolutions and in
                            the worst case have to reboot a view times. The configuring tool that workd best
                            was XFdrake.

                            The attached Config file could work for you as wel. X version = 4.0.1 and as
                            told I use the Fbdev kernel.

                            I resent this message because I forgot the Version 4 config. This is a 24bit
                            colors config file that seems to work (just tested it;-) ).

                          • Stefano
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 13, 2000
                              On Saturday 11/11/2000, Marc Fellman wrote:

                              > Depends on yoor PCMCIA card. I have tried the Xircom RBEM56G-100 and that one
                              > didn work that well and I switched to sepperat cards for modem and Ethernet. You
                              > best bet is looking in the supported-cards list in your PCMCIA directorie under
                              > src or doc.

                              I currently use the Xircom RBEM56G-100 with my Inspiron 3800.
                              The card is correctly detected, the modem works properly and,
                              although i've never tried an ethernet connection, the eth0
                              interface seems to work too (i can get up eth0 and ping myself).

                              Could you tell me what kind of problems you've encountered?

                              Stefano