Re: [linux-dell-laptops] help

  • Joshua M. Phillips
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 3, 2000
      Thanks.

      On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Max R. Andersen illustriously signified:

      --
      Joshua M. Phillips
      Data Operations Engineer

      This e-mail is intended solely for the person or entity to which it is
      addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any
      review, dissemination, copying, printing, or other use of this e-mail by
      persons or entities other than the addressee is prohibited. If you
      have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately
      and delete the material from any computer.
    • Max R. Andersen
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 3, 2000
        Has anyone successfully used xinerama and/or the multi-head support in X
        4.x ?

        The how to docs for xinerama states that one needs to use two physical
        videocards to support 2 monitors, but there is only a single one in the
        Inspiron 3800....but three possible monitors...(the internal, external and
        tv-out)...

        anyone ?

        Max R. Andersen (max@...)
      • Puttkammer, Roman
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 3, 2000
          i posted some info about this earlier on this list. check out the archives.
          if inspiron3800 also uses ATI rage pro mobility, then you can either use
          LCD or external monitor, not both at the same time (with xfree4). don't
          know about tv out.

        • Max R. Andersen
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 3, 2000
            On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Puttkammer, Roman wrote:

            > i posted some info about this earlier on this list. check out the archives.
            > if inspiron3800 also uses ATI rage pro mobility, then you can either use
            > LCD or external monitor, not both at the same time (with xfree4). don't
            > know about tv out.

            I have searched the archive for Xinerama but with no luck.

            Here is what I know:

            1) TV-out is not supported (but is planned to be in the future)
            2) The README.ati file states that if the driver detects that both
            internal and external is activated at startup the ati driver will send the
            signal on both.

            But on Inspiron 3800 I have not found how to start the computer with both
            monitors active :(

            Max R. Andersen (max@...)
          • Puttkammer, Roman
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 3, 2000
              > But on Inspiron 3800 I have not found how to start the
              > computer with both
              > monitors active :(

              try the bios. and please, let me know if you get it to work.
            • Max R. Andersen
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 4, 2000
                On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Puttkammer, Roman wrote:

                > > But on Inspiron 3800 I have not found how to start the
                > > computer with both
                > > monitors active :(
                >
                > try the bios. and please, let me know if you get it to work.

                I have looked in the bios on my inspiron 3800 - but have not found
                anything related to the display except settings for power saving settings.

                What should the name be for the option ?

                Max R. Andersen (max@...)
              • Nick Wilson
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 11, 2000
                  Im about to install redhat 7 as a last resort because every other version i try doesnt support my ati 128 in my laptop and i cant configure X, does redhat support it and is it easy to sonfigure?

                • mc_ewans@hotmail.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 11, 2000
                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Nick Wilson"
                    <NWilson_711@h...> wrote:
                    > Im about to install redhat 7 as a last resort because every other
                    version i try doesnt support my ati 128 in my laptop and i cant
                    configure X, does redhat support it and is it easy to sonfigure?

                    It is hard to answer your question since you even didn't mention the
                    model of your laptop... Assuming that you have 5000e, the answer would
                    be YES. I reckon other models should run Redhat 7.0 without any
                    problems as well.
                  • Nick Wilson
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 11, 2000
                      sorry about that, yes i have the 5000e, also do they have good pcmcia support becayse i wanna use my cable modem with linux.
                      thanx
                      nick
                      > Im about to install redhat 7 as a last resort because every other
                      version i try doesnt support my ati 128 in my laptop and i cant
                      configure X, does redhat support it and is it easy to sonfigure?

                      It is hard to answer your question since you even didn't mention the
                      model of your laptop... Assuming that you have 5000e, the answer would
                      be YES. I reckon other models should run Redhat 7.0 without any
                      problems as well.

                    • Marc Fellman
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 11, 2000
                        Aanhalen Nick Wilson <NWilson_711@...>:

                        > sorry about that, yes i have the 5000e, also do they have good pcmcia
                        > support becayse i wanna use my cable modem with linux.
                        > thanx
                        > nick

                        Depends on yoor PCMCIA card. I have tried the Xircom RBEM56G-100 and that one
                        didn work that well and I switched to sepperat cards for modem and Ethernet. You
                        best bet is looking in the supported-cards list in your PCMCIA directorie under
                        src or doc.

                        M.Vr.Gr.

                        Marc Fellman

                        Dit bericht werd verzonden met behulp van IMP: fellsoft.homeip.net
                      • Nick Wilson
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 11, 2000
                          Thanx alot, just one more question, when i set up X what hould i tell it i have, like a rage 128,1024x768, stuff like that.
                          -nick

                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 11, 2000
                            Can you help me to configure X, with the 5000e do you know good settings that work?
                            -nick

                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 11, 2000
                              Aanhalen Nick Wilson <NWilson_711@...>:

                              > Can you help me to configure X, with the 5000e do you know good settings
                              > that work?

                              I have the i5ke with the 1024x768 screen. It works at this moment with 16bit
                              color. I wil probably try the 24 bit color setting soon. It is out of the box
                              Mandrake with FBdev (vga=791). BTW: This is the mandrake that is downloadable
                              from the Internet with loads of goodies. You heve to try some resolutions and in
                              the worst case have to reboot a view times. The configuring tool that workd best
                              was XFdrake.

                              The attached Config file could work for you as wel. X version = 4.0.1 and as
                              told I use the Fbdev kernel.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 12, 2000
                                Aanhalen Nick Wilson <NWilson_711@...>:

                                > Can you help me to configure X, with the 5000e do you know good settings
                                > that work?

                                I have the i5ke with the 1024x768 screen. It works at this moment with 16bit
                                color. I wil probably try the 24 bit color setting soon. It is out of the box
                                Mandrake with FBdev (vga=791). BTW: This is the mandrake that is downloadable
                                from the Internet with loads of goodies. You heve to try some resolutions and in
                                the worst case have to reboot a view times. The configuring tool that workd best
                                was XFdrake.

                                The attached Config file could work for you as wel. X version = 4.0.1 and as
                                told I use the Fbdev kernel.

                                I resent this message because I forgot the Version 4 config. This is a 24bit
                                colors config file that seems to work (just tested it;-) ).

                              • Stefano
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 13, 2000
                                  On Saturday 11/11/2000, Marc Fellman wrote:

                                  > Depends on yoor PCMCIA card. I have tried the Xircom RBEM56G-100 and that one
                                  > didn work that well and I switched to sepperat cards for modem and Ethernet. You
                                  > best bet is looking in the supported-cards list in your PCMCIA directorie under
                                  > src or doc.

                                  I currently use the Xircom RBEM56G-100 with my Inspiron 3800.
                                  The card is correctly detected, the modem works properly and,
                                  although i've never tried an ethernet connection, the eth0
                                  interface seems to work too (i can get up eth0 and ping myself).

                                  Could you tell me what kind of problems you've encountered?

                                  Stefano