Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Audio with an Inspiron 5000e

  • Art Delano
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2000
      At 10:41 AM -0500 11/3/00, Brett Viren wrote:
      >setok@... writes:
      > > I can play audio from the internal speakers and when I connect
      > > the headphones the internal speakers are cut off and the audio
      > > starts playing through them. So far so good. Now when connecting
      > > the headphones to the line-out to test (and turning the volume
      > > up so I should get something) no audio is played. The audio
      > > continues to come out of the internal speakers.
      >I justed tested this with my 5000e using amplified external speakers
      >and I have the same problem. I have a vague memory of this happening
      >in Windows when I tried playing a DVD with line out going to my
      >stereo.

      I'm not familiar with the problem but in general line-level signals are
      probably not affected by volume settings; the volume should be set at the
      external amplifier. (off-topic: i have the opposite problem with my
      television: it has RCA jack line outputs which are regulated by the volume
      control, which makes plugging it into the stereo amplifier an exercise in
      silliness, since the TV's output signal is too weak to drive the amp
      without cranking the amp so high it's putting ground hum through the
      speakers, or driving the TV's output so high the TV's internal speakers
      drown out the stereo.)

      AjD

      --
      Art Delano, New Media Designer "The 2nd half of this cut features
      Logic Solutions, Inc. an unprecedented collaboration